Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Temperance

For whatever reason, I was trained to withhold my feelings, to stuff my emotions, and to suppress my desires. As I've aged, I have discovered that my fuse seems to always be lit, and if the wind blows ever so slightly, an explosion is bound to happen. I never knew how deep and how prevalent this was in me - but there it is. In everything that seems to move contrary to how I think or feel it should, in every and any situation, I lose my shheitt.
It's bad enough for someone to be on the receiving end of my temper, but for me personally it's something that is extremely difficult for me to carry within...the constant anxiety, turmoil, the constant suppression of rage...

I am tired of being this way, and I'd like to change.

How did you learn, and aquire emotional maturity and temperance.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone is stupid and lazy,

And can’t drive

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord

And can’t drive

Agreed.

Being that is a given, how do I learn to accept that for what it is and still maintain my composure, peace of mind, and joyfully, with a good vibe enjoy the song on the radio while arriving to my destination unbothered.???

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We control what we can......and you learn that it is very little!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm

And can’t drive

Agreed.

Being that is a given, how do I learn to accept that for what it is and still maintain my composure, peace of mind, and joyfully, with a good vibe enjoy the song on the radio while arriving to my destination unbothered.???

You gotta have Jesus in your heart

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Try smoking some dope.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you Italian?

You can always go this route to let off some steam...

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

And can’t drive

Agreed.

I assume you're not living meal-to-meal and you don't have to burn dung for heat. Nobody is probably going to try to kill you today in order to take your possessions/resources because they're also living hand-to-mouth. If my previous statements are accurate, then what you have are "1st world problems". That being the case, you can choose to be pleasant or you can choose to be difficult. Look people in the eye, give them a smile and say hello/good-morning/good-afternoon, etc.

Choosing to be happy, friendly, and nice is free.

Another way to get across the same message is to say, "Maybe you have to accept that you're an A-Hole". My assumption is however that putting it that way will be received less positively. It's easier and more fun to just be nice.

Last edited by horse1; 07/24/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by add
Are you Italian?

You can always go this route to let off some steam...

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

I've been going that route for 50+ years... it's not been a working solution.

The thing is, I'd like to actually not get to that point. I'd prefer to learn the "water of a ducks back" philosophy and just not be so effected by stuff... more of a "zen vibe" thing.

I'm Scottish, and maybe a little Iroquois... but that's no excuse.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I try to live by "Five Rules" in Life:

1) Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, mind and soul.

2) Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

3) I don't CARE! ( when other are all stirred up ,ha)

4) YOU can't MAKE ME CARE! (No one "makes" me feel anything! :))\

5)" Its gonna be alright"....

NOW, if that doesn't work for you, Cut them Five Ways!"
1) Long (2) Wide (3) Short (4) Deep and (5)Continuously! ha Just roll it all over on Him Pard, you only have one stomach lining
Don't let the ******** grind you down! smile

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't worry, if you keep that fuse lit you will seize up and keel over in no time, problem solved. On the other hand I don't let stuff that I cannot change/control or stuff that doesn't effect me directly take over my life.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’m a lot like you. In my working days I could be very horrible. It was good that I was very good at what I did. Now retired and very alone. Don’t get mad at my dog. It is what it is.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1

And can’t drive

Agreed.

I assume you're not living meal-to-meal and you don't have to burn dung for heat. Nobody is probably going to try to kill you today in order to take your possessions/resources. If my previous statements are accurate, then what you have are "1st world problems". That being the case, you can choose to be pleasant or you can choose to be difficult. Look people in the eye, give them a smile and say hello/good-morning/good-afternoon, etc.

I'm conditioned to "React."
I attempt to "make the choice" but when I feel, or assume, I the bear am being poked, a switch is flicked, and I go on the attack. Often, I completely misread the situation, and find myself guilty of projecting that which just isnt so. People get hurt, I wind up looking the fool, and I feel horrible about it. Some, who know my more loving and peaceful side will forgive me when I in all sincerity and with humility give my truly heartfelt apology... for which I am grateful.

Is it a practice, the "choosing.?"

How long is this going to take, will I ever be known as a peaceful man, or will I battle this for the rest of my life...is there a cure.?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes, you just gotta get out and go vandalize something and blow some steam off.

That, or go steal a pick up bed full of sweet corn or watermelons.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dont be one of them western people that don’t believe in Jesus. See that a lot on here.

And theyre always assy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was born with it, it takes a lot to piss me off.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

My father drank very sparingly, maybe one drink, very rarely two, and then not regularly. I guess I saw that as a good model to follow.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1

And can’t drive

Agreed.

I assume you're not living meal-to-meal and you don't have to burn dung for heat. Nobody is probably going to try to kill you today in order to take your possessions/resources. If my previous statements are accurate, then what you have are "1st world problems". That being the case, you can choose to be pleasant or you can choose to be difficult. Look people in the eye, give them a smile and say hello/good-morning/good-afternoon, etc.

I'm conditioned to "React."
I attempt to "make the choice" but when I feel, or assume, I the bear am being poked, a switch is flicked, and I go on the attack. Often, I completely misread the situation, and find myself guilty of projecting that which just isnt so. People get hurt, I wind up looking the fool, and I feel horrible about it. Some, who know my more loving and peaceful side will forgive me when I in all sincerity and with humility give my truly heartfelt apology... for which I am grateful.

Is it a practice, the "choosing.?"

How long is this going to take, will I ever be known as a peaceful man, or will I battle this for the rest of my life...is there a cure.?

Be nice first. If you have to to get started, laugh and ridicule other's stupidity privately to yourself, at least you'll be smiling.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
cold beer,friends,and some good old rock and roll or old country music,might help some ? not the music crap on now. i live in the country so i don`t have to be around city-its more than 1 % in my life ,city-its don`t think or act like country folk. i have belong to a gun club for 20 some years first 10 years were great now we have more city-its in this club and the club is a mess so i stay away from there too, my age and temper won`t handle these kinds of people anymore.

Last edited by pete53; 07/24/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read one of the versions of Niebuhr's Serenity poem. Then think about it?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.