Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The drinking thing is funny/strange to me because what little bit of drinking I did to fit in with the cool kids back in the day had the exact opposite effect. It mellowed me out to the point that all I wanted to do was sit at the bar and stare out into the universe somewhere and enjoy the buzz. I would have been nothing but a punching bag in a fight.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am the poster child for the red-headed temper (stereotypes exist for a reason). Funny thing is, the big stuff isn't what sets me off; it's the little aggravations like dumb drivers, out-of-sequence traffic lights, etc. I also get really ticked off at myself when I do something stupid or inept. If I can pause for just a moment, I can usually de-fuse. But too often I have gone off before I can even think. I ask the Lord to bridle my temper and my tongue, but I still find myself having to ask Him for forgiveness constantly, about all I know to do. I have gotten better with age, but it's still a problem. If you find something that works for you, please let me know!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an old acquaintance with "explosive expressiveness". I've found my world more peaceful not being around him more than occasionally. The Bible warns us to stay away from a hot tempered man. It makes sense.

LOL
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I guess I'm just the opposite. The older I get the more I'm inclined just to roll with it,...whatever it is.

I'm not very social, however. The number of people I choose to be around is very small. If I had associated with a better group of people in the past, it might be different. I spent a lot of time in fairly toxic work environments and spent a lot of time around toxic urbanites and I choose to spend a lot of time keeping my own company these days,..and I don't mind it at all.

It's different since I retired to the country. But still, I've lost my inclination to be a part of a big social circle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I have an old acquaintance with "explosive expressiveness". I've found my world more peaceful not being around him more than occasionally. The Bible warns us to stay away from a hot tempered man. It makes sense.

The Lord also nicknamed James and John "the sons of thunder" because they asked if they could cause fire to rain down on some Samaritans because of an offense. They were really mad!

They turned out pretty good. One of the sons of thunder got a new nickname later in life.......The Apostle of Agape (love). So there is always hope for anyone dealing with anything.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting laid some helps.

That scene out of the movie Good Morning Vietnam after the co was ragging on Cronauer and his need for a bj comes to mind.

Our late coach Vince Lombardi it was rumored had a rule about none of that before a game. He wanted smash mouth football instead of the guys thinking holding hands and singing kum ba yah.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Everyone is stupid and lazy,

And can’t drive

Agreed.

Being that is a given, how do I learn to accept that for what it is and still maintain my composure, peace of mind, and joyfully, with a good vibe enjoy the song on the radio while arriving to my destination unbothered.???

You gotta have Jesus in your heart

Best Answer!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In a little over seven decades on the top side of the grass, I have learned that the only way someone can push my buttons is if they're available to get pushed. I can project a deceptively calm exterior, right up to the point where the raging monster inside comes boiling out and does something incredibly stupid, violent, or both. Once thet happens, and it happens extremely rarely anymore, I feel embarassed and ashamed of myself. I believe all of us have such a hidden demon, no matter how vehemently we deny its existence. It just takes more provocation for some of us than others to let the thin veneer of civility get stripped away to reveal the beast within.

With a lot of practice and a belief in a higher power, those impulses can be channeled, if not completely controlled. I've found that spending a few hundred miles on the seat of my Harley occasionally thickens the layer of self-control that I can apply, so I've been taking a lot more road trips than I once did. Of course, having an accurate carry piece and a pound of lead poured into the tip of my cane helps me prepare for the really bad situations, should they come looking for me. I'm not going to go looking for them, however!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by add
Are you Italian?

You can always go this route to let off some steam...

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

If you choose this route, be sure to wear a blm shirt or the agenda enforcers will arrest you.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The first step is to truly understand that the only thing in life that you control is your own behavior. Turn your focus to improving your behavior.

Then, really read that “Serenity” prayer. You don’t have to be religious to take guidance from it. I have a dog-tag-like medallion hanging from my rear view mirror that has it engraved on it. It’s a constant reminder to focus on what I can change and to accept what I cannot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
INSANITY LATER🤣😂

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just as a physically unhealthy heart can destroy your body, an emotionally and spiritually unhealthy heart can destroy you and your relationships.

Lack of self-control, and anger, are burdensome companions. They corrode the vessel in which they are contained.

Rather than responding to immediate impulses, we ‘can’ learn to evaluate alternative actions, we ‘can’ learn to refrain from doing things we'll regret, and we ‘can’ learn to develop wisdom and willpower. We ‘can’ learn to improve ourselves, our perspectives, and our lives.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
when someone annoys you smile at them and act agreeable while visualizing their disassembly with your favorite knife or hatchet. This take practice and can be reinforced every time you slice meat or chop wood.

Being mellow takes constant practice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't drink and don't kill. If you do... don't drink over it. I have a raging temper over the little stuff and my wife says it's gonna put me in the ground way too soon. I can absolutely tell when i'm angry but have no idea how i get there it seems to just happen. I really work on it and try not to let the monkey out of the cage so to speak but sometimes i feel more irritated trying to be all cheery and kind. I don't go out of my way to be hateful or say mean things but inside it's a battle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Temperance

For whatever reason, I was trained to withhold my feelings, to stuff my emotions, and to suppress my desires. As I've aged, I have discovered that my fuse seems to always be lit, and if the wind blows ever so slightly, an explosion is bound to happen. I never knew how deep and how prevalent this was in me - but there it is. In everything that seems to move contrary to how I think or feel it should, in every and any situation, I lose my shheitt.
It's bad enough for someone to be on the receiving end of my temper, but for me personally it's something that is extremely difficult for me to carry within...the constant anxiety, turmoil, the constant suppression of rage...

I am tired of being this way, and I'd like to change.

How did you learn, and aquire emotional maturity and temperance.?

Never had it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
when someone annoys you smile at them and act agreeable while visualizing their disassembly with your favorite knife or hatchet. This take practice and can be reinforced every time you slice meat or chop wood.

Being mellow takes constant practice.

mike r

Grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dont be one of them western people that don’t believe in Jesus. See that a lot on here.

And theyre always assy

The Jesus lovers that pray for funeral shootings, those?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't drink and don't kill. If you do... don't drink over it. I have a raging temper over the little stuff and my wife says it's gonna put me in the ground way too soon. I can absolutely tell when i'm angry but have no idea how i get there it seems to just happen. I really work on it and try not to let the monkey out of the cage so to speak but sometimes i feel more irritated trying to be all cheery and kind. I don't go out of my way to be hateful or say mean things but inside it's a battle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Dont be one of them western people that don’t believe in Jesus. See that a lot on here.

And theyre always assy

The Jesus lovers that pray for funeral shootings, those?

Or the Iowa/Canada ones?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.