Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Metric is so simple. Everything is in 10ths. 10 mm = 1 cm, 100 cm = 1 m (little over 1 yard), 1,000 m = 1 kilometer (about 1/2 mile). 1 cubic cm = 1 gram. 100 grams = 1 kilogram or 1 liter (little over a quart). 1,000 liters = 1 metric ton (little over an English ton). 1 bar = 1 atmospheric pressure which is 14.7 lbs/sq inch. (They measure atmospheric pressure in milibars). Speed is kilometers/hour.

Then you have tools measured in mm's. Each number up is a larger tool. So simple. 5mm wrench is smaller than a 6mm wrench. Easy. No 1/4's, 1/8's, 5/16th.s stuff.

We voted in the early 1900's to go to the metric system. One vote shy in the senate and we stayed with the English system. English was chosen over Metric in the early 1800's because we traded more with England and her colonies world wide than anywhere else. Napoleon had the metric system devised on 10'th to keep it simple, because he conquered Europe and every country had their own weights and measures and he wanted every thing standardized. Thus the world went with metric. Numbers are universal in every country. Metric is universal also. If China prints the weight or measurement in metric it can be read by everyone in the world. Only their language can't.

I think we eventually will go to metric. It makes sense. The medical, scientific, NASA, and many others also use metric. Oh, Water freezes at 0 C. It boils at 100 C. However, many scientists use the Kelvin temperature scale. Absolute zero is 0, which is -several hundred degrees F, because deep space far away from the sun is absolute zero.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The US uses a lot of metric. Have you worked on a machine US made in the last twenty years?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Metric is so simple. Everything is in 10ths. 10 mm = 1 cm, 100 cm = 1 m (little over 1 yard), 1,000 m = 1 kilometer (about 1/2 mile). 1 cubic cm = 1 gram. 100 grams = 1 kilogram or 1 liter (little over a quart). 1,000 liters = 1 metric ton (little over an English ton). 1 bar = 1 atmospheric pressure which is 14.7 lbs/sq inch. (They measure atmospheric pressure in milibars). Speed is kilometers/hour.

Then you have tools measured in mm's. Each number up is a larger tool. So simple. 5mm wrench is smaller than a 6mm wrench. Easy. No 1/4's, 1/8's, 5/16th.s stuff.

We voted in the early 1900's to go to the metric system. One vote shy in the senate and we stayed with the English system. English was chosen over Metric in the early 1800's because we traded more with England and her colonies world wide than anywhere else. Napoleon had the metric system devised on 10'th to keep it simple, because he conquered Europe and every country had their own weights and measures and he wanted every thing standardized. Thus the world went with metric. Numbers are universal in every country. Metric is universal also. If China prints the weight or measurement in metric it can be read by everyone in the world. Only their language can't.

I think we eventually will go to metric. It makes sense. The medical, scientific, NASA, and many others also use metric. Oh, Water freezes at 0 C. It boils at 100 C. However, many scientists use the Kelvin temperature scale. Absolute zero is 0, which is -several hundred degrees F, because deep space far away from the sun is absolute zero.

Simple to use in a classroom but the application in real life is a bit more complicated. Fractions have real use and the metric system has nothing to compare. A millimeter and a centimeter are pretty small dimensions and then the jump to a meter? Poorly thought out measuring system. Easy to use with a calculator and especially if you are a low IQ leftist that does nothing of value anyway.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You skipped decimeter.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rickt300
Fractions have real use and the metric system has nothing to compare.

What does this mean?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We already have enough euro trash in this country.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
give them an inch and they will take over the yard.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How we gonna divide up a pee-can pie?

I seen Domino’s slice up a round pizza into squares. A lot of kids ended up with just crust. Oh well, only the strong survive jack

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman

What does this mean?

It means you are missing the point. Tell me what metric dimension equals a gallon? then divide it into 4 equal parts. What does that look like to you? Tell me what metric dimension equals an inch, put it on a steel tape on a metric scale, divide it into 4 parts and tell me just how easy this would be to follow on a ladder 20 feet up calling out numbers to the saw man.

Last edited by rickt300; 07/28/20.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tell me what English "dimension" equals a liter.

You're confusing personal familiarity with mathematical superiority.

I'm quite comfortable in both systems.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Joke from 1997 Wabigoon Star.

Two men in back yards. My dog died. That's shame, how'd he die? He ate my tape measure.

That must have been a slow agonizing death by inches.

No, he died by the yard.

Then he rallied a bit, and crawled over by the light pole, and died by the meter.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mathman

What does this mean?

It means you are missing the point. Tell me what metric dimension equals a gallon? then divide it into 4 equal parts. What does that look like to you? Tell me what metric dimension equals an inch, put it on a steel tape on a metric scale, divide it into 4 parts and tell me just how easy this would be to follow on a ladder 20 feet up calling out numbers to the saw man.

I call easy accurate SAE Dimensions all the time.

16.2, 34.6, 8.4, 108.1

16 2/8" or 16 1/4"

34 6/8" or 34 3/4"

8 4/8" or 8 1/2"

108 1/8"

I also frequently use the metric system on small benchtop one-off projects. If I was building a Gertsner type jewelry box for my wife I would use the metric system.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/28/20.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Have a young friend, engineering grad, that works for Boeing. His job is translating design engineers dreams into old fashioned 'blueprints' for r&d labs/machine shops. In the early stages of development, a tool or a part is now more frequently spec'd in Imperial..even though, in the end I guess it goes back to metric to be fed as a software program in cnc languages. I asked why?
He claims the best r&d machinists and tool and die makers, consider metric "clunky". He claims, once you get down to subdivisions of the length of the King's finger, thousandth's and ten thousandths are incredibly easy and intuitive to work with, just moving the decimal point. Somebody above pointed out, the jump from a meter, the basic unit to hundredths of a mm starts getting up into too many zeros to the right of the decimal point for an average guy to carry in his head.
I would like to hear some of the machinist guys on here comment on this. My lathes and mill are Imperial, so that's what I use, I suppose if the machines were metric, that is what I would use. It's for certain, a cnc computer doesn't give a damn.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jeez, if you're working on small parts just make the millimeter the base unit for your project.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why? The delusion that arcane language conveys special powers.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is a blond c--t hair and a black c--t hair the same size in metric?

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Who knew counting to 10 would be so arduous.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Milimeters are far easier than fractions. They have small tools in say 3.5mm. Mechanics I've talked to prefer metric. Smaller number is smaller size, bigger number is bigger size. Problem is a lot of old stuff is English fractions, and you are trying to equate metric to it. Metric alone is much easier. Trying to equate to English is what is hard. I've learned both and metric is far easier once you get your head around what the sizes are and their actual size.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

If God wanted us to use the Friggin' metric system........................

there woulda been 10 Disciples instead of 12 !

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.