Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Don't like to leave camp, vehicle or watercraft without a drag rope or drag. harness.

roundoak,

Being so prepared is a surefire way for me to come home empty-handed. laugh
Leave my knife at camp or in the truck - BANG.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
were i am we take them out hole back to camp. we can clean 4 at a time. we do all of the cleaning, cutting grinding , and eating . i think if i get to were i can't do it my self i will quit killing them

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I gut them where I have a reasonable shot @ seeing the coyotes on the pile and maybe get a poke @ them too.

Or, I don't gut them @ all. Top-down gutless and leave the guts-n-bones behind.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Gut piles scaring off deer is an old wives tale, shot several out of the same stand where a deer was field dressed the previous day. I've also field dressed in camp, dumped the innards into a trash barrel and carted to a spot on the property that we don't hunt. Usually by the next day the coyotes have things all cleaned up, surprising how fast they work.

Neither does a dead deer. Shot a buck a few years back, gutted it, then left my pack beside the carcass and gutpile, then climbed back in my stand. In a little bit, his spikey companion returned and walked right over to the scene of the crime. Only thing that bothered him at all was my pack, which he sniffed, then returned the way he came.

They see dead deer all the time, as well as half-eaten ones. Anywhere there are vultures, deer guts in the open get cleaned up pronto. I forgot the liver of a PA buck once. Went back in an hour or so to retrieve it, and only a wet red smear in the grass marked the spot where I had dumped the innards.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by roundoak
Don't like to leave camp, vehicle or watercraft without a drag rope or drag. harness.

roundoak,

Being so prepared is a surefire way for me to come home empty-handed. laugh
Leave my knife at camp or in the truck - BANG.

Hunting deer is a leap of faith anyway and to test that throw a fork and salt and pepper shakers into your day pack. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends where Im at. If hunting at our cottage up north, I bring them back to the cabin, hang em and unzip them there. Have several two-tracks that run thru our property and its never too far of a drag to a truck. If I am hunting somewhere else, usually gut them where they fall.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I field dressing them in the field and if they are over bigger than average, I'll cut them in half to make them easier to handle and load.

I hunt on family or leased land that is between 25 and 125 miles from home, so hauling the back whole isn't practical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m a primary public land hunter. I either guy where they fall if it’s a short drag to a road or do the gutless method if I have a good hike back to the truck. I like to process my own when I have time, if not there are a couple of good places local I can take the meat to.

But I agree probably 90% of the hunters I know in Alabama aren’t processing their own and many do take deer whole to the processor.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The way I hang deer after skinning, I leave all the guts inside the chest cavity. Then I remove the backstraps, shoulders, neck meat, tenderloins, and finally the hams.

The guts never leave the chest. Then what is left is hauled off to a gut pile away from camp for the buzzard (aka county road crew) and coyotes.

This! I take them to camp, quarter, slap in ice chest.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JGRaider
All I know is, I'm not dragging one of these beasts very far across the sandhills. Unless I have some help i gut 'em where they lay.......

Damn nice buck! The country at the Matador Wildlife Management area in Cottle county looked like that. I used to quail hunt there. Mule deer and Whitetail on there.

Last edited by hanco; 07/27/20.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack

55+ years chasing whitetails here in PA and I’ve never seen (or heard of) anyone taking a deer out whole.

I have seen people dragging gutted deer backwards a few times over the years.

Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to their car. Another hunter approached pulling his along too. "Hey, I don't want to tell you how to do something ... but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground." After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it. A little while later one hunter said to the other, "You know, that guy was right. This is a lot easier!" "Yeah, but we're getting farther from the truck," the other said.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Take em back to camp.

Out of the wind, rain. Lights. Running water.

Cold beer.

Don’t gut - skin and quarter. Peel the back straps amd sweet meat out.

Or debone it hanging.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not sure when the last time is I've cut something up not on the ground. Texas 12+ years ago I reckon.

The bucks JG deals with are fat porkers!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I haven’t read the whole thread so I assume It’s already been said, but I have seen deer and elk walk right by a gut pile without batting an eye more than once.

That’s a pretty decent buck there Gregory wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Never met a single local in SE AL that would clean their own deer.

I used to quarter mine where they fell. Locals on the lease would get so upset, bitching about the gutpile scaring other deer off.

I finally explained to them, that taking one of these deer in still intact, you are looking at $50 just to have them skin and gut it. Big buck or little doe, you are in for 50 as soon as it hits their door.

Had a pard tell me hunters in his locale don’t even know how to run a knife on a game animal. They wear them on a belt only for show.

Everything goes from the field into a rig, and off to a processor. Guts inside.

YMMV
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntinaz
I haven’t read the whole thread so I assume It’s already been said, but I have seen deer and elk walk right by a gut pile without batting an eye more than once.

Absolutely...Seen it many times, and killed deer and elk within 60 yards of a gut pile from the previous morning.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Absolutely...Seen it many times, and killed deer and elk within 60 yards of a gut pile from the previous morning.

😎

Yep to these fine fellas....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the funniest things that I've seen while hunting deer was a coyote running across a cut corn field while dragging a gut pile by the trachea with three other coyotes chasing along behind in a effort to get their share.

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
I couldn’t tell you the last time I gutted a whitetail. Just haven’t found the need for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gut'em where they drop.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.