Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
We have a similar challenge in West Virginia that I am studying as well.

Our property is 305 Acres. There is currently about three and a half miles of road on the mountain. It was originally set to be a subdivision for fat cats in Northern Virginia. We purchased it after it fell on its face. There is no power on the property.

Plan a will be to build a cabin at the maximum distance for free Power Drop. Most states have a law that they will provide Power to a property building a house but they limit the amount of run to typically 500 feet or a thousand. I have found that distance to be negotiable in the past.

Once that cabin is built and Power is established I will ponder building another cabin another thousand feet of the road and request again another Power Drop.

So on and so forth. Eventually I expect to be denied.

At this point I plan to trench in my own conduit. I will exit power from the last built house or shop to a step up voltage transformer that I purchase and install myself. From this Transformer I will run transmission line Underground to my final house location on top of the mountain. I will then install a Step Down Transformer re-establishing useful voltage. This is permissible in West Virginia... I have no idea if it is permissible in your state.

Plan B will be solar. The efficiency of solar panels is growing exponentially.

Good luck in your Pursuits.

For those that might ask why step-up and step-down Transformers. To save a cost on wire over distance and also to mitigate voltage drop.

Plan C is to convince a cell phone company they need to have a tower on top of my mountain and let the bastards do the work for me.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do the utilities yourself.It’s far from rocket-science...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
Found some property we like. The only caveat is that to run electric to it may be 10K or more. I'm going to have to talk to someone who can give me an estimate.

The property is 9 acres with a long driveway about 1/3 of a mile long, then it opens up to a wooded area with a clearing for a house overlooking a pond.

here is the clearing overlooking the pond where you'd build the house
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
the edge of the clearing - that would be the view from the front porch of a house.
and then the pond, you share the pond with 2 other families but its pretty big. I'd say maybe 3-4 acres. One family has a jon boat and a dock on it

I told the realtor if we can get electric on it for less than 10K we'll make an offer on it.

oh, its in Metamora, Indiana. I'm excited about it but I wouldn't be surprised to hear the electric is 20K.

Good luck...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When you get power hooked up get an aerator and the pond will be good to go.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about internet service? Cell coverage? Just things to check out. Good luck on it.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 07/29/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very nice!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Found some property we like. The only caveat is that to run electric to it may be 10K or more. I'm going to have to talk to someone who can give me an estimate.

The property is 9 acres with a long driveway about 1/3 of a mile long, then it opens up to a wooded area with a clearing for a house overlooking a pond.

the edge of the clearing - that would be the view from the front porch of a house.
and then the pond, you share the pond with 2 other families but its pretty big. I'd say maybe 3-4 acres. One family has a jon boat and a dock on it

I told the realtor if we can get electric on it for less than 10K we'll make an offer on it.

oh, its in Metamora, Indiana. I'm excited about it but I wouldn't be surprised to hear the electric is 20K.

Nice. Very nice.

You might check into buying and running your own cable underground along with the water and gas in the same trench.

Where's he getting water and gas. LOL Might get fiber Optics too.

lol exactly what I thought

He did say that there were other homes on the lake/pond and it’s cheaper to run the water and gas line the first time than to go back and retrench after should water and gas become available.

Ain’t a big trick.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It really does look like a nice place! Hope it works out for you!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Nice. Very nice.

You might check into buying and running your own cable underground along with the water and gas in the same trench.

I agree about it being cheaper to do yourself (I'm assuming water/gas aren't an option), but it can be a real PIA later on depending on the Power Company. Since you own that 1/3 mile of cable, they're gonna point to you as having the problem first. I've seen it happen.

Run your cable inside 2” electrical pvc and with no splices. The power company will meg or hi-pot the cable before powering your location and that’s a written record.

Still, like you say, they may try to shift blame but that’s simple to sort out.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Electric line costs must really vary by area. I paid my co-op $4400 to bury 1800’ of cable about two years ago.

Who is John Galt?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
$2 a foot to trench then come back and bury it.

LOL
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Are you thinking full sized house, or cabin?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks worth checking on. Good luck.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Nice. Very nice.

Where's he getting water and gas. LOL Might get fiber Optics too.

A well and propane? Works here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Water, electric and gas all in the same ditch?!
Who's the contractor? Fireballz?

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
from the public road its 827' to the clearing going over someone elses property, from the private road along the drive its 1137 feet.

The realtor was playing dumb about how much the electric costs, but I'm betting he knows exactly how much it will cost.

Water line already on the property , it barely has cell phone service, much less internet.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/29/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It is $8 a foot here but that varies alot with each electric company .you want to ask engineering.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd be happy if it was $8 a foot there.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Subsoiler laying cable. Don't know if it would be deep enough to make code, however.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Subsoiler laying cable. Don't know if it would be deep enough to make code, however.

It wouldnt meet spec

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 117LBS, 31 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.