-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never owned one, had some binoculars. They were good!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice scope, I love my M3 4-16x42. I see the M5 has a 30mm tube while my M3 is 1". The description doesn't mention ED glass.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
The Nikon Monarch 5 has ED glass. It is the lowest priced riflescope featuring ED glass that I know of. For the price, it is an outstanding riflescope. It also has a 5X zoom ratio. Which model did you purchase?

This is showing a 4X zoom.

https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-monarch-m5-rifle-scope-3-12x42-sf-30mm-mk1-moa-reticle-matte.html

Yeah, my apologies. There must be two versions of the Monarch 5. This is the one I saw and had recommended to many people who could not justify a kilobuck or more, yet wanted ED glass.

https://www.natchezss.com/refurbish...pe-6-30x50mm-sfp-ed-sf-advanced-bdc.html
https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-monarch-5-rifle-scope-3-15x42mm-sfp-ed-sf-advanced-bdc-reticle.html

There was also a 4-20X44 ED model.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I don't understand the appeal of buying an optic from a company that is exiting the business. I wouldn't touch a Nikon scope with a 10 ft pole. Their customer service was already clueless enough without them trying to figure out how to warranty and service products they no longer have.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought 2 of the M Tactical 3-12’s in Mrad for $199 and absolutely love them. They dial very accurately. I also bought one of the FX1000’s for $400 it’s an awesome scope that also dials very accurately. They all have very bright and quality glass too. I could care less about warranty at those prices.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's about what they're worth.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I bought 2 of the M Tactical 3-12’s in Mrad for $199 and absolutely love them. They dial very accurately. I also bought one of the FX1000’s for $400 it’s an awesome scope that also dials very accurately. They all have very bright and quality glass too. I could care less about warranty at those prices.

Great news! Congratulations on the deals.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I guess I don't understand the appeal of buying an optic from a company that is exiting the business. I wouldn't touch a Nikon scope with a 10 ft pole. Their customer service was already clueless enough without them trying to figure out how to warranty and service products they no longer have.

I have owned numerous Nikon products over the years; cameras, binoculars, range finder, a high end slide scanner, and several rifle scopes.
In all that time one scope went back to Midway for faulty reticle adjustment and was promptly replaced by Midway. I didn’t have to deal with Nikon.
I don’t see the point in worrying about the warranty on a $600-$700 scope that is on clearance and selling for less than half that amount.
YMMV

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's about what they're worth.

JG have you actually tried the specific scopes I commented on? I have tried almost every single brand of scope, they are way better than many. I don’t know why so many have a distaste for Nikon, their chit has always been more reliable than scopes like Leupolds who’s fan boy list is long.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, not specifically. I guess I have a disdain/distrust for Nikon because the one Nikon scope I did have, Nikon screwed me out of the turret I ordered.....never received it. Customer service was abysmal, and was equally abysmal when I tried getting information on a Nikon EDG binocular I wanted to buy. Clueless once again. Then there was my attempt to get proper warranty/registration information out of them when I was buying the Laserforce binos. The information they gave me, in writing I might add, was a complete 180^ from being accurate. Then there was Nikon who changed thier warranties on their binoculars in mid stride after people had already bough them. Then, the parent company Nikon is a huge anti hunting/anti shooting entity. I'd put a touch more money with the $400 and get an Optika from meopta.

Those are the reasons I think Nikon is an absolute joke, and would buy Leupold any day of the week over any Nikon made. I killed a couple hundred big game animals with a Leupold "set and forget" variety of scopes so dont' give me that crap about them never working correctly. If dialing I'll go a different direction though nowadays, because i think Leupold has also lost their way.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shouldnt suprise anyone. They're garbage.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had a Monarch and felt the glass was very good and comparable to a VX3....the eye relief however was not at higher magnification.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nikons CS and warranty have both sucked for years. Good by and good riddance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, not specifically. I guess I have a disdain/distrust for Nikon because the one Nikon scope I did have, Nikon screwed me out of the turret I ordered.....never received it. Customer service was abysmal, and was equally abysmal when I tried getting information on a Nikon EDG binocular I wanted to buy. Clueless once again. Then there was my attempt to get proper warranty/registration information out of them when I was buying the Laserforce binos. The information they gave me, in writing I might add, was a complete 180^ from being accurate. Then there was Nikon who changed thier warranties on their binoculars in mid stride after people had already bough them. Then, the parent company Nikon is a huge anti hunting/anti shooting entity. I'd put a touch more money with the $400 and get an Optika from meopta.

Those are the reasons I think Nikon is an absolute joke, and would buy Leupold any day of the week over any Nikon made. I killed a couple hundred big game animals with a Leupold "set and forget" variety of scopes so dont' give me that crap about them never working correctly. If dialing I'll go a different direction though nowadays, because i think Leupold has also lost their way.

Fair enough, I’ve only used Nikon Warranty once on a high powered Monarch that I used on a predator rifle and it took a major fall,landed on the scope objective and bent the tube. They replaced it and I had no issues with their CS. I’ve used Nikon Binos, spotting scopes and some of their rifle scopes and have never needed CS for a faulty product. I’m not broken hearted they are getting out of the scope business, but I am glad I snaggged some really good scopes at a very reduced price as a result. I won’t own another Leupold scope ever, I’ll leave my comments at that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wifeshusband
You are correct, sir. They are indeed out, along with Weaver. Who's next?

For crying out loud! Weaver? They've been making scopes forever. When did they close shop?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Wifeshusband
You are correct, sir. They are indeed out, along with Weaver. Who's next?

For crying out loud! Weaver? They've been making scopes forever. When did they close shop?
The real Weaver quit making scopes decades ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess that shows how much I've been in that loop.
Mines probably made in china then.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Nikon management is anti gun , why bother doing business with them?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Nikon management is anti gun , why bother doing business with them?

What is your source?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rifle scopes have become like electronics, predictable obsolescence, shifting brand ownership, with essentially meaningless "lifetime warranties". A buyer needs to consider all of this in making a purchase decision.'

At what price point do you consider a throw away product acceptable? It's like the discussion of Harbor Freight tools. How much do you have to pay for predictable quality and enduring customer support, and even then how far can you count on it? Who ever thought that the original Redfield and Weaver would ever go away? What about Marlin and Winchester?

It seems like other industries have adopted the model of the computer world, "We don't support that any more".

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,397
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.