S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Originally Posted by steve4102
Shocked from DC current, nope.

Take her out to your vehicle, have her grab hold of the positive and the negative on the battery and show her that a DC does not “shock”.

DC does not shock???
You couldn't be more wrong! It's not weather it's DC or AC that determines if it will shock, but the level of voltage. Either will shock you if the voltage is high enough. Either will kill you if the current is high enough.

From a battery used is a power tool? 9-12-14-18-20 volts?

Don't be stupid.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Take her out to your vehicle, have her grab hold of the positive and the negative on the battery and show her that a DC does not “shock”.

Yeah, you might not feel 12 VDC, but trust me...you WILL feel 50,000 VDC even when amperage is limited.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Yeah, you might not feel 12 VDC, but trust me...you WILL feel 50,000 VDC even when amperage is limited.

Which her drill does not have.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can't feel DC? Go pee on an electric fence. Of course the voltage is FAR higher than in a drill.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It all has to do with resistance. If she has some sort of skin compromise like a open cut or skin lesion of some sort it is possible.

Use a 9 volt battery for an example. touch a 9 vdc battery to your finger, nothing, touch that same 9 volt battery to your tongue and you get shocked, that's because your tongue has a lot less resistance than your skin has.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I know some pool installers that run cordless drills underwater.
They don't get shocked.

In Auto-Diesel Vo-tech we used to stick a condenser wire into the spark plug boot
of a GM HEI car. Start the car and use ignition pliers to hold the condenser against
a ground. Then curl the wire with the exposed Stake on near the condenser.

All you needed was a victim that would catch it when you tossed it too them.

10th graders learned that in the first couple weeks.

Hilarious to see the reaction to a 40,000 volt surprise!

We didn't even have to do that. Many moons ago we learned how to use a Sun distributor machine to set dwell and test/modify the mechanical advance. Our teacher would take the condenser out of the distributor and toss it at you. Your natural tendency was to catch it.
I've know more that one person who got zapped by the old Acell Super Coil and bumped their head on the hood when they jumped... 🤣

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You can't feel DC? Go pee on an electric fence. Of course the voltage is FAR higher than in a drill.

And I don’t think she is pissing on her drill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It all has to do with resistance. If she has some sort of skin compromise like a open cut or skin lesion of some sort it is possible.

Use a 9 volt battery for an example. touch a 9 vdc battery to your finger, nothing, touch that same 9 volt battery to your tongue and you get shocked, that's because your tongue has a lot less resistance than your skin has.

I tricked my kids into doing that

It was hilarious

I though everyone knew

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There is a logical reason why she's getting "shocked"- - - - -which none of you keyboard commando Einsteins would have the intelligence to understand.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If she felt it in her hands then you have a stator connection that is shorted to the chassis ground / body of the drill.

Hold on for some Electrical Engineering explanation

When a magnetic field “collapses” around a coil it creates a VERY high voltage spike. You car coil makes a field off 12volts, but when the points break the connection the field falls and you get a HUGE voltage spike that is sent to the spark plugs... and you sure can feel those.

this same thing is going on as the motor turns the connections to each coil in the motor is engerized until the motor turns and then the field collapse creating that voltage spike.
when it’s shorted via a brush to the chassis somehow... OUCH !!!

Car coils produce around 40k volts at extremely low amps (the amp’s are what kill you, the volts are required to jump surfaces).

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most recent spark plug wires are pretty well insulated but I remember years ago you could pull a wire off with some pliers and about get knocked on your butt. That's no 12volt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The spinning brush and the horse hair are creating a primitive type of Van DeGraff generator. The plastic housing of the cordless drill is an insulator that allows the static electricity to build up in the metal parts of the drill and she's getting zapped when she gets close to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The voltage going to a spark plug is usually about 20,000V.

A 12 volt car battery can most certainly be felt if you've got a good connection, grab both terminals with wet hands and you'll figure it out quickly. The battery in a cordless power tool could undoubtedly be felt too since most are 18-20V nowadays, you'd just have to make the circuit. Cordless tools are mostly plastic so it seems like it'd be hard to get a shock out of one, but if there's a short somewhere and you've got wet hands I can see how it could be possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All the new cordless drill are plastic cased. Don’t really see how you could get shocked unless the drill was soaking wet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The spinning brush and the horse hair are creating a primitive type of Van DeGraff generator. The plastic housing of the cordless drill is an insulator that allows the static electricity to build up in the metal parts of the drill and she's getting zapped when she gets close to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

Funny you were quick to insult others who posted but don't know the difference between a horse and a steer?
Just pointing it out is all....

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

If she felt it in her hands then you have a stator connection that is shorted to the chassis ground / body of the drill.

Hold on for some Electrical Engineering explanation

When a magnetic field “collapses” around a coil it creates a VERY high voltage spike. You car coil makes a field off 12volts, but when the points break the connection the field falls and you get a HUGE voltage spike that is sent to the spark plugs... and you sure can feel those.

this same thing is going on as the motor turns the connections to each coil in the motor is engerized until the motor turns and then the field collapse creating that voltage spike.
when it’s shorted via a brush to the chassis somehow... OUCH !!!

Car coils produce around 40k volts at extremely low amps (the amp’s are what kill you, the volts are required to jump surfaces).

Doesn't cordless drills have a dynamic brake? How does it work? Does anyone really know?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by srwshooter
All the new cordless drill are plastic cased. Don’t really see how you could get shocked unless the drill was soaking wet.

the screws holding on the plastic can stop in metal.

I thought car coils were 40k volt vs. 20... but either will bite you for sure.

now the number of winds impact how high the voltage is, and a drill won’t be that high, but the collapse of the magnetic field works big time.
When I was a kid I put a 9volt batter across a relay coil and unplugged it and got nailed.... so I made a pulsing relay off a 555 IC that clicked it on and off twice a second, then put it in an
Plastic box with a couple 8 common nails across the circuit and took it to high school and dared people to hold on to it..

After a while we figured out we could shock across a dozen people and we’d get a person to touch a guys arm, while another touched their ear lobe... LOL !!!

Never ever let me get bored.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MickeyD

DC does not shock???
You couldn't be more wrong! It's not weather it's DC or AC that determines if it will shock, but the level of voltage. Either will shock you if the voltage is high enough. Either will kill you if the current is high enough.

From a battery used is a power tool? 9-12-14-18-20 volts?

Don't be stupid.

Did you actually read my post? Did you not notice the part about the voltage needing to be high enough?
That was written in response to your blanket statement "that DC does not shock", which of course, it will shock. Nothing said about 9-12-14-18-20 volts.
Perhaps you should try reading before commenting. In other word, don't be an idiot.
The voltage/current level needed to feel a shock is variable, changing with the conditions of the moment. Is 9 volts enough to shock? As another already posted, try touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue. My guess is you'll feel it. Given the right conditions you'll damn sure feel 20 volts.
I suggest that you should follow your own advice...don't be stupid

Last edited by MickeyD; 08/02/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Put it this way have ruined a 20 volt drills back getting them completely full of water and never got shocked. I have a Panasonic that has been under water a few times and still runs good

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

DC will shock you to death if you crank up the amps and the voltage. I have been shocked many times while holding a steel pipe fitting to be welded, using DC current. And a nine volt battery will give you quite a tingle IF you touch the terminals to a highly conductive body part. (salty sweat)

Most drills today are operating well above 12 volts.

But in the case of the OP, I would bet it is the brush against the cow hair causing a static discharge.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.