Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I still don't understand why Talley doesn't offer a set of rings called "Wackers".

They figure most folks already have a pair of those.

A pair? I imagine most guys only have one.......

Or more......getting a 2nd one attached to your arm is the new "in" thing......

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Forgot about that....leave it to the Europeans. Ugh...every time you think 2020 has reached peak ridiculousness, you read something new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think their screws are too brittle as the same thing happened to me. The company response was excellent and I can't recommend them enough based on their customer service. I haven't had any trouble since and it's been 10 years.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had some do the same thing and they replaced them no questions asked.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have had Talley lightweights on a few rifles notably a 300 Weatherby with Zeiss HD5 not a lightweight scope dragging through nasty elk country with no problems, hunting partners the same. Do use a torque wrench.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JamesW
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Their QD rings are outstanding however.

Guaranteed to be off center, pos! and not answer enquiries to why their QD rings are not machined to be on the center line of the rifle. Will never deal with these arses again!!!!!

I have used a number of their QD's without issue. Most recent...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guaranteed as long as they are not altered, I would think "lapping" is altering. I use Talley QD rings on my rifles in 1 inch and 30 mm sizes and have never had a problem. I am not surprised that occasionally the Talley Light Weights fail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have about ten sets of Talley LW. I did not use a torque wrench on any of the but did install them TIGHT. I have never had an issue from 375 HH to 223 and everything in between. I will continue to use them because they work great and are very lightweight. YMMV.

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 08/10/20.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One pair on a Vanguard 300Bee, two scopes. No problem, would buy again.

Sean
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Guaranteed as long as they are not altered, I would think "lapping" is altering. I use Talley QD rings on my rifles in 1 inch and 30 mm sizes and have never had a problem. I am not surprised that occasionally the Talley Light Weights fail.

Remove their hard anodizing and they lose some strength.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm... I modified a Talley extra low last week, knowing that I was ruining any warranty but to make it fit me and my rifle/scope combo. Now I learn in this thread that I may have weakened a weak point even further. Lotta good info here on the fire, but this tidbit I found a bit late.

I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on a Mauser M18. I like a scope to be as low as possible, or would have gone for a picatinny rail. The lowest of those are ridiculously high. Plenty of room between front bell and barrel with Talley extra lows, but the variable power ring needed about 1/32 more room to clear the “deck” on the rear Talley base. I considered, phoned and talked with a Talley man, then took a dremel and cut down the top of the rear deck almost 1/8”. It is not quite down to the top of the recessed screw head.

I flat out LOVE the way the scope comes to my eye with crosshairs on target the moment the stock touches cheek and shoulder. Low mounts make this rifle and scope combo fit my eye and bod.

It only has ten rounds through it so far, in .30-06. Will see how it holds up. Bases and rings are epoxy bedded so the thinner base is supported evenly across its contact with receiver.

There is nothing wrong with high cheek risers on stocks nor with craning your neck up to see through a scope, wink but I prefer low. It gives me a tight cheek weld with line of sight as close to line of bore as possible. Ditto to wishing that someone would make a low pic system.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/11/20. Reason: reflection
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was a huge fan of the LW Talleys and as their predecessor was on my 30-06 ULA thought they were bullet proof. However got a reality check and on my MRC1999 the front ring cracked right on the Y branch part. Rifle was in 300WSM and I use a torque wrench. Talley were true to their word and sent me replacements. But never again! Rifle had very little use and no abuse. I now stick to their steel rings only stuff the extra weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive been using Talley QD and screw lock steel rings for many years on dozens of different rifles many of em hard kickers. They are built like a tank. There is no better system of bases n rings that I have found for my uses. I’ve got a couple sets of lightweights too n never had any issues with em. Great customer friendly company too.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well as a ph I guess I’m late to game. After 30 yrs hunting dangerous game I decided to try Talley lightweights on my 375. Yeah I know they ain’t been around that long. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Yet there’s a lot of new stuff that’s damn good.Talked to the owner and he assured me they would hold up to hard use. After a couple of years I finally made the switch and no problem. Still I had the questions in the back of my mind. I talked to the owner several times afterward at some of the shows expressing my surprise the lightweights held up. He told me he going to Africa that year using lightweights on his 375 but just in case of a problem he was taking a set of detachable signs they failed. Hey I like the lightweights but I started trying to back up when he told me that. Trying real hard not to be obvious I was running. Damn shame, i really like the rings. I just don’t have confidence after that exchange. Just the facts. Happy Hunting

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For a rifle package there are lots of other places less crucial that an ounce of weight can be saved.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.