Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As we all know, the prices on pre 64 model 70 rifles is soft right now. The funny thing to me is parts for these rifles are still the same price. Prices on parts like aluminum butt plates, trigger guards and bottom metal, front sight hoods, good quality stocks and even lesser quality stocks. You name it and the parts for these still demand a premium. I sell stuff on ebay and gunbroker, so I keep an eye on such things. A while back I bought a very nice condition pre 64 model 70 featherweight 30-06 locally and I paid a premium price of $475.00... A few weeks after that purchase I found a very nice re-chambered 300H&H, now a 300WBY. I paid $499.00 for that one. Here are the rifles in fact:

30-06 featherweight:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
And yes, before you ask, I installed the red pachmayr and properly glass bedded the rifle. She's pretty damn sweet now and a damn good hunting rifle.

300WBY. Was originally a 300H&H:
Sorry, I need to get some better pictures of this rifle. I installed the red pachmayr, glass bedded it and scoped it and this is how she shoots:
That 300WBY has some potential, as does the 30-06 fwt. Both great rifles that I snagged because the prices have just been soft. We won't even talk about the 375WBY I bought a while back and then recently sold because I don't really have a need for such a big rifle...

Now on to the prices of parts. Damn I am always surfing the web to see what parts are selling for and prices haven't faltered a bit... When I go to local shops or when I'm out of town I am always looking for deals on rifles and parts. Parts are harder to find at shops, unless you are at a gunsmith's shop. A few months ago I ended up finding an exact era match stock for my 30-06 fwt. It actually came off the same year rifle as mine ('58), damn what a find, but I had to pay dearly for it because the smith knew what it was worth. Funny thing is he had a few featherweight and standard stocks tucked ways behind some things, but I spotted them from a mile away. I asked if the featherweight stocks were for sale and he said, "you know what those are for". I said yes. Then he said, "then you know what they are worth". I said yes... He said they were for sale... The one that caught my eye was the one I bought. He asked if I knew what year rifle the stock came off of, and I said, "I don't know, can you tell me"? Even though I knew, I was playing his game... He said 1958. I said, you know that for sure? He just smiled. I asked, well how much are you asking for it? He told me and I paid the man... The funny thing is I can re-sell it on ebay and make money:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's the stock I brought home:

A stock like this brings pretty good money on places like ebay. I don't know how many of you guys buy stuff there, but you'd be surprised what this one would bring..... The funny thing about the prices of stocks and parts is I could have damn near sold the stock off my recent 375WBY and that would have paid for the cost of the rifle. Those all original clover leaf tang stocks in good condition are getting to be rare as hens teeth. Especially the ones made for the H&H rifles. You just don't see them for sale anywhere.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You find some good stuff BSA. Great pictures by the way...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem up here in AK everyone thinks cause grand pa drug it to kodiak, or shot a 60 inch moose with it. It’s all of the sudden worth premium price.. like bro it’s a savage, yeah but my great uncle shot a caribou with it..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yes BSA, I'm going to have you do my Pre 64 M70 shopping!
Having said that, although not looking hard, I recently did buy a 57' 300 H&H super grade ( shooter condition) and a 56' .308 fwt.... certainly more a want than a need.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A friend bought a 1955 Fwt 30-06 for $425 last week. He had two 1955 Fwt 243 barrels and wanted to covert it. It was going to cost over $200.00 for the short action parts!!!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
A friend bought a 1955 Fwt 30-06 for $425 last week. He had two 1955 Fwt 243 barrels and wanted to covert it. It was going to cost over $200.00 for the short action parts!!!

Yep, thats what im talking about. Good snag on that 30-06 though.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We are pretty rural and I suppose it requires me finding some shops to cruise but I’d love to find some sub~$650 pre-64s like those.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, it happened again. Was down at the coast visiting my sister and had to stop by a gunshop. Found a 1956 fwt 243 winchester. Shop wants $800.00 for it with the Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 rifle scope. Man, I remember when every 243 I ran across was in excess of $1,200.00..... I didn't buy this one, but I am pretty sure it will still be there in a few weeks when I go back. The scope is in excellent condition, so it's a $175.00 sale on ebay, all day every day. If I sold the scope, I'd have roughly $625.00 in to the rifle. If/when I end up buying it, I'll post some pics...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I picked up a numbers matching 1955 FWT in 243(ser# 335xxx) a couple of weeks back from a gun shop. Had a nice uncut stock with alum butt which sealed the deal for me. Had mounts and rings also. I took it home out the door for $640. I was very happy! Your right on with parts BSA. I found a gunsmith that had the correct set of swivels. I cleaned em out. He had 2 complete sets. Cost me 70 bucks for both sets.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
demand and rarity drives cost.
everyone must have their fill.
as old guys plan for the great journey, (or widows clean up after ones gone) the nice old guns find their way into the market.
the common ones become stale like all the others are.
but the rare ones will get someones attention and go for a lot.
then the cycle continues. itll go into another closet for another 40 years.
its how nice guns are preserved for the next generation, unless the new generation shoots the daylights out of them.
which drives the others in great shape to go up in value.
we seem to be in a calm period where everyone is happy, or everyone is broke.
dealers will either hold to their prices and ride out the storm or cut costs and move on. basic business 101 says if they dont move inventory, they will need to pay tax on it. so when you see lower prices...you know what they are up to.
if they hold fast...it means they can afford to pay tax and gamble. and they wait for you the buyer to open your wallets after the storm.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
I picked up a numbers matching 1955 FWT in 243(ser# 335xxx) a couple of weeks back from a gun shop. Had a nice uncut stock with alum butt which sealed the deal for me. Had mounts and rings also. I took it home out the door for $640. I was very happy! Your right on with parts BSA. I found a gunsmith that had the correct set of swivels. I cleaned em out. He had 2 complete sets. Cost me 70 bucks for both sets.

Thats excellent man. You scored.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobski
demand and rarity drives cost.
everyone must have their fill.
as old guys plan for the great journey, (or widows clean up after ones gone) the nice old guns find their way into the market.
the common ones become stale like all the others are.
but the rare ones will get someones attention and go for a lot.
then the cycle continues. itll go into another closet for another 40 years.
its how nice guns are preserved for the next generation, unless the new generation shoots the daylights out of them.
which drives the others in great shape to go up in value.
we seem to be in a calm period where everyone is happy, or everyone is broke.
dealers will either hold to their prices and ride out the storm or cut costs and move on. basic business 101 says if they dont move inventory?, they will need to pay tax on it. so when you see lower prices...you know what they are up to.
if they hold fast...it means they can afford to pay tax and gamble. and they wait for you the buyer to open your wallets after the storm.

Yep. However, around here, all the good guns are on consignment. I doubt the shop owner has to worry about paying taxes on them. I go to little mom and pop shops off the beaten path too. To give you an example of how log this guy has had this rifle on the rack, it had a fine layer of dust on it. I mentioned to the gunshop owner that he must have had this one for a while, and he agreed. He didnt know how i knew that, since id never set foot in his shop before. I told him it had a layer of dust on it at least a year old...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The crazyness continues! Last month i picked up a 1955 FWT in 243 for 640. Last friday I picked up a really sweet 1948(stamped 48 and 270 under the barrel) model 70 standard in 270 with the transition safety. Had the wrong stock on it but I have a great shape matching replacement. I traded a nice old H and R 22 bolt gun and 700 bucks for it. I now had too many pre 64 model 70s in 270 caliber in the safe. So i pulled out a 1958 standard that was strictly a shooter(stock cut and a pad) i purchased 4 years ago for 400 bucks. On a whim I offered it to my gun smith this morning. He said how much? Well I just saw a complete pre 64 model 70 action only(receiver,bolt,floorplate....) sell for 575. So I said 700. He gave me 650 and 2 boxes of 270 ammo. We were both happy!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s a good time to cut up rifles.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this is when gun parts strippers buy guns for parts. protect your guns!

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Not a model 70, but a Winchester model 54 carbine, 30-06. Still has steel buttplate, missing rear double leaf sight, and a receiver sight installed. $600.00 bucks. Picking it up tomorrow.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
The crazyness continues! Last month i picked up a 1955 FWT in 243 for 640. Last friday I picked up a really sweet 1948(stamped 48 and 270 under the barrel) model 70 standard in 270 with the transition safety. Had the wrong stock on it but I have a great shape matching replacement. I traded a nice old H and R 22 bolt gun and 700 bucks for it. I now had too many pre 64 model 70s in 270 caliber in the safe. So i pulled out a 1958 standard that was strictly a shooter(stock cut and a pad) i purchased 4 years ago for 400 bucks. On a whim I offered it to my gun smith this morning. He said how much? Well I just saw a complete pre 64 model 70 action only(receiver,bolt,floorplate....) sell for 575. So I said 700. He gave me 650 and 2 boxes of 270 ammo. We were both happy!!

Jeeze man, send a text when you wanna sell stuff!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Hard to believe that all original, high condition M70’s are being found this frequently for these prices. I do acknowledge that it does happen occasionally tho.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Hard to believe that all original, high condition M70’s are being found this frequently for these prices. I do acknowledge that it does happen occasionally tho.

I hear you, but some folks Hawk the stores pretty good. My local bait and bullet store usually sells rifles much less than I see on GunBroker, when I can catch them.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.