I guess they all have their down side

Good luck

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for all the responses and comments guys. Soaking it all in.

Just a few details,

This is a 2500ac lease with 20 members. Club rules are oriented to establish a family friendly atmosphere...no drinking and even states "no profanity." My wife or daughter can accompany me as many days as they want on my membership.

This isn't exactly in a "trophy buck" region of the state. The club rules outline "6pt or better w/ 12" minimum spread for bucks," besides that, state laws apply for buck and doe harvest.

Of course, as a few have alluded, the atmosphere is all dependent on the members and enforcement of the rules.

I have low expectations going into this...I recognize I'll be low man on the totem pole so I plan to help where needed, stay quiet and observe. If I can put a doe or two in the freezer early and maybe get lucky with a buck, I'll be happy.

Shoot, I have yet to set foot in the woods with a weapon in two years...I'll just be happy to be in the game again. If a club is my only option right now, I figure I can suffer through a season to see how it works...gotta be better than sitting at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure the clubs rules or goals jam up with yours. Its important that all the members have the same mindset when it comes to deer hunting.
You dont want to be in a club where half the guys are meat hunters and the other half want to manage for Trophy bucks. You dont want to be a part of constant controvercy. Make sure all the members get along.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

Just a few details,

This is a 2500ac lease with 20 members. Club rules are oriented to establish a family friendly atmosphere...no drinking and even states "no profanity." My wife or daughter can accompany me as many days as they want on my membership.

This isn't exactly in a "trophy buck" region of the state. The club rules outline "6pt or better w/ 12" minimum spread for bucks," besides that, state laws apply for buck and doe harvest.

Of course, as a few have alluded, the atmosphere is all dependent on the members and enforcement of the rules.

I have low expectations going into this...I recognize I'll be low man on the totem pole so I plan to help where needed, stay quiet and observe. If I can put a doe or two in the freezer early and maybe get lucky with a buck, I'll be happy.

Shoot, I have yet to set foot in the woods with a weapon in two years...I'll just be happy to be in the game again. If a club is my only option right now, I figure I can suffer through a season to see how it works...gotta be better than sitting at home.
I could live with those rules. Out of curiosity, what's a membership for something like that cost?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[bleep], they'd kick my [bleep] ass out in first day........grin

You got the right attitude going into it, so I'm sure you'll get more out of it. Maybe your daughter can flame a deer.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by skeen

Just a few details,

I could live with those rules. Out of curiosity, what's a membership for something like that cost?

From the research I have done (I'm still a freshman at this), there are several factors that apply.

Size of the lease, cost of the lease, and how many members are sharing that cost...you also have to factor in agricultural cost as well (food plot seed, fertilizer, etc). Clubs in regions known for big bucks and / or clubs that are managing to quality deer or trophy guidelines command a premium.

Seems about 100 acres per member is pretty a standard ratio in this area. And $1K to $2K is the norm for membership dues. The club I am referencing above is $1500 per year for membership dues. Some of the Alabama Black Belt region known for trophy grade heads are several more thousands of dollars per year.

Like anything else, depends on what you are looking for. Not sure if this is for me...I was hoping to find something close. This is right at one hour from home...I can manage that pretty easily without having to plan over-nighters at the club house or whatever. Joining a club mid-state, 3 or 4 hours away would really hamper my enthusiasm and limit my trips.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RemModel8

You got the right attitude going into it, so I'm sure you'll get more out of it. Maybe your daughter can flame a deer.

I hear ya. The "no drinking" part is definitely easy for me, not much of a drinker at all anyway. I'll have to work on minimizing a few four letter words.

Daughter just turned 10. Would bring me no greater joy than to have her harvest her first deer this year. She's still rocking that pair of pink camo Leupold Yosemite binoculars that a member here traded for a pair of socks a couple years ago! wink laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any bear, turkeys or ducks? That is always a bonus. I raised both of my kids hunting in a club. Had some of the best hunts of my life doing that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I hear ya. The "no drinking" part is definitely easy for me, not much of a drinker at all anyway. I'll have to work on minimizing a few four letter words.

Daughter just turned 10. Would bring me no greater joy than to have her harvest her first deer this year. She's still rocking that pair of pink camo Leupold Yosemite binoculars that a member here traded for a pair of socks a couple years ago! wink laugh

I hear the wife still wears them too!

Hope it all works out for ya

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'm going to check out a club friday that appears to be pretty strict on what you can shoot, i.e. any shooting of bucks less than 3.5yrs old or does less than 100lbs incurs a $200 fine per screw up. that'll kinda make you think twice about squeezing the trigger. this club is 45 min from my house and 1,500 acres with nice camphouse and 3 acre bass/bream lake. i believe there is 14 members. cost is $1,500 per year. guess we will see after friday what i think.
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you will be able to pick up how the members act pretty quick . get the rules in writing . we just had to get rid of a member .his dad got in when he was 6 he grew up in the camp .turned 18 payed for his spot that we saved for him know at 19 he started to bring 6 or 8 buddys for a night of drinking shooting guns and tearing up the roads .got a warning the first time next time he got kicked out . his dad got his feelings hurt .we have a very go land owner that knows we take good care of her land for the last 31 years

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

Granddaughter was nine when she killed her first buck in Polk county by the Indian reservation. Best hunt of my life.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 08/14/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i'm going to check out a club friday that appears to be pretty strict on what you can shoot, i.e. any shooting of bucks less than 3.5yrs old or does less than 100lbs incurs a $200 fine per screw up. that'll kinda make you think twice about squeezing the trigger. this club is 45 min from my house and 1,500 acres with nice camphouse and 3 acre bass/bream lake. i believe there is 14 members. cost is $1,500 per year. guess we will see after friday what i think.
good luck,
Big Ed

I’ve seen that one listed in FB for awhile.

From the posts and questions, i get the feel that guy posting each time is the president / ring leader and makes the rules.

How he answers the 100# doe questions hes a bonafide trophy hunter.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
yeah bigdave i liked the property and its fairly close to my house and i think imma give it a shot for a year. this camp is deff different from any other camp i've been a part of with the penalties for shooting young bucks and small does but i'm really ok with that as you won't ever have any quality unless you stop shooting younguns.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whitearrow
yeah bigdave i liked the property and its fairly close to my house and i think imma give it a shot for a year. this camp is deff different from any other camp i've been a part of with the penalties for shooting young bucks and small does but i'm really ok with that as you won't ever have any quality unless you stop shooting younguns.
Big Ed

Hope you have good luck this fall!

Be nice if we had a cold winter for once.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,655
Posts18,493,483
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.