Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
OK I'll have to try this method - going to save this thread .

I'm right handed - always used my left hand on the rear bag under the rear of the stock , it'll be odd to me to have my left hand on the forearm , and I do try and never torque the rifle with my trigger squeeze .

I take the rear Sling Stud off when doing load development .

Sounds like it should work good , thanks ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey Mike...yes on the M-Tac from Nikon. Fact I liked, and still do, the first so well, I got a second from Doug, at Camerland. Really like the FOV. Suites what I do with them. Their both on 7 Mags. Problem was, the first went south after 83 rounds from the 7 Rem mag. Sent en in, repaired, now has about sixty more through it. So far, so good. The second has 50 or so. Still like the scopes and the features on them....BTB, had a straight 10x SWFA, my first, I now have 4, and that first one went south too, less than 100 rounds through it. It was replaced. That was on the 7 Wby Mag.

It do happen.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mike...just a thought if you have some time one evening...punch up THLR.NO on youtube. Start at his first video, the 243. Might be of some interest to you, and the rest of you guys.

Been following him for some years....And another good one, MarkandSam after work. Youtube also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
This works for me...

So, I put my hand on the forearm either ahead or behind the bag / rest /...

Thank-you .... I was thinking you supported the forend on your hand with your supported by the rest which didn't make sense.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I never use a rear rest, because I know I'll not have one while hunting.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Unless you are shooting off hand or against a tree you have a bottom from rest... your knee, a limb, ... a cross bar or window frame which means it’s about how that impact you rrifles recoil.

Bipod’s are completely different however..

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Mike...just a thought if you have some time one evening...punch up THLR.NO on youtube. Start at his first video, the 243. Might be of some interest to you, and the rest of you guys.

Been following him for some years....And another good one, MarkandSam after work. Youtube also.

CGPaul ,

Thanks for the update - yea they do fail - even the best break .

I watch Mark & Sam after work , shooting , I'll check out THLR .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Unless you are shooting off hand or against a tree you have a bottom from rest... your knee, a limb, ... a cross bar or window frame which means it’s about how that impact you rrifles recoil.

Bipod’s are completely different however..

Left hand on forend, butt in shoulder. There is no rest anywhere near the butt of the rifle when hunting. Now granted when sitting, some elbows are planted.

I either shoot with sticks or over a pack for longer stuff, offhand or sitting for closer stuff. When I'm shooting just to shoot to get loads for hunting, I'm typical sitting with my butt on the ground, knees up. I shoot a lot offhand and offhand with a front side brace.

Last edited by RemModel8; 08/09/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
RemModel8,

For those elbow (like prone) it’s more about using a sling to stabolize the stance, not that many people shoot well that way - I almost always try to use a rest if I can.
If you shoot sitting, it’s good to push your elbows past your knee so your arm is supported on the back of your are vs. elbow riding on your knee which is less stable.

Ol_mike - with biopods and heavier rifles I do the “bag squeeze” no forearm hold, and use my left hand to squeeze the rear bag to get the right elevation.
BUT - that is with a 17lb PRS rifle... with lighter guns like field rifles I use the tactical approach.

that is one of my first criticisms of PRS shooting vs. hunting - the difference in rifle weight is HUGE

Slings are used to stabolize and can help big time... but also hurt if your aren’t consistent with them as well - I left that out....

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/09/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for putting up this thread. It is something that I have suspected all along. My free floated 7 RM seems less influenced off a rest than my solid bedded 7mm-08 which has a better after market barrel. I’m sure that getting up to check each shot through my spotting scope changes my hold enough to open up a group.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RemModel8,

For those elbow (like prone) it’s more about using a sling to stabolize the stance, not that many people shoot well that way - I almost always try to use a rest if I can.
If you shoot sitting, it’s good to push your elbows past your knee so your arm is supported on the back of your are vs. elbow riding on your knee which is less stable.

Ol_mike - with biopods and heavier rifles I do the “bag squeeze” no forearm hold, and use my left hand to squeeze the rear bag to get the right elevation.
BUT - that is with a 17lb PRS rifle... with lighter guns like field rifles I use the tactical approach.

that is one of my first criticisms of PRS shooting vs. hunting - the difference in rifle weight is HUGE

Yeah, I think I got the shooting thing figured out, thanks.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep - that’s why forums are not PM’s....

The “Keep it Simple” Shooting approach I put down that I was taught and worked well for me — isn’t for guys who have competition grade shooting skills, it’s simply meant to help the average guy who wants something that can help to improve their results that they can control, and do alone with a huge time and # of rounds investment.

Good for you though.. Rock on !

RemModel8,

Yeah, I think I got the shooting thing figured out, thanks.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
OK Spotshooter , glad you clarified the heavy gun lightweight gun thing , I'd have been trying the lightweight gun thing with the Rem. Varmint type rifle .
Never seen anyone shoot a heavy target type rifle the way you explained - seemed odd- now I'm on the same page with you . Right hand shooter - left hand controls read bag style shooting .
I'll be trying your method very soon with the ole Model Seven 260rem. .

Posted by Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I’ve got a Sako 85 260 remington Krieger #2, in a McMillan Edge .. which is my go to whitetail gun - Great round !!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,510
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.