Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I grew up on a farm so having a blade on you is not a question.

I’ve carried just about every brand you can think of, and one day I got tired of them breaking down from hard use and went over to the bladeforum to see what my next one should be.
It turned out to be my last one.

Ontario RAT.

Is it, high quality, low cost.
And I have carried Sypderco, Coldsteel, Berreta, Browning, Case, Buck, ... and the Ontario RAT and RAT 2 put them to shame.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I’ve carried just about every brand you can think of, and one day I got tired of them breaking down from hard use and went over to the bladeforum to see what my next one should be.

Ontario RAT.

And I have carried Sypderco, Coldsteel, Berreta, Browning, Case, Buck, ... and the Ontario RAT and RAT 2 put them to shame.

I need to try a Rat 2.
If the reviews are even close, it worth risking the $$$. ( And I'm tight)
Love the Stretch2, but haven't bought a knife in a number of years. It's time!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Ontario RAT.

I need to try a Rat 2.

I carry one a lot. EDC for work.

I have the AUS8 versions.

~$25.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For deep pocket carry, the buck 110 folding hunter and the smaller ranger have nice deep clips. Spyderco sits noticeably higher in the pocket. Both can be had in a choice of steels, but the base steel in both has worked fine for me. Neither is too expensive in case of loss. I really like the orange scales.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Frankly I can’t believe the quality your get for your Dollar with the Ontario RAT...

I haven’t bought another brand since I got mine,
Keeping in mind I had starting to wander into high dollar stuff like SOG, the Ontario RAT is tight, clean and just plain high quality.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Ontario RAT.

I need to try a Rat 2.

I carry one a lot. EDC for work.

I have the AUS8 versions.

~$25.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a Rat 2 for about a year, it has a d2 blade and I can not believe what a great little knife it is. It holds a good edge, isn't hard to resharpen, seems solidly built, and I didn't have to take out a loan to buy it. What's not to like?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Update on new knife.

It arrived today and so far I am well pleased with it, definitely sits lower in pocket and is slim and comfortable to carry. It opens and closes with no problems with either left or right hand, and the wire clip is stronger than the spring clip on the Delica.

Okay, I have used the knife for a few days at work and am pleased with it. The knife rides in the top of the pocket well and does not shew, it is easily used with either hand and is of a good size to be used for all those little jobs eg whipper-snipper cord, rope, split finger nails, and various other uses.

I would like to try an Ontario Rat2 but I have a tendency to use a knife with whichever hand reaches it first, and since I have taken to clipping my work knives into my left pocket that generally means opening and closing with my left hand.

This thing is hands down superior for work use than the Delica...eats it.

ps. I am currently working in Parks and Gardens for the Local Shire and the knife gets dirt/mud in it, so each night after I have a shower I squirt a bit of oil on the mechanism and call it good.

Seems to work.

Last edited by JSTUART; 08/13/20.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I sort of have two contrary thoughts on steel for EDC knives. The one I carry currently the most is D2 steel. My thought is for things like cutting up cardboard and similar tasks that will dull any steel fairly quickly then ease of sharpening is a major consideration. Some of the super steels are not easy to sharpen even though you will need to less often. For primarily slicing and game cleaning then the better steals with a harder temper are my choice with a rockwell hardness of 60-62 where the utility knife may only be 56-58 hardness. Elmax looks like a great choice as I like CPM 154, V-10, ATS 34 and similar.

I think S35 V is a tad easier to sharpen than S30V. AUS - 10 is one of the best economy steels, very similar to VG-10. I think the heat treat and geometry are more critical than the exact alloys. All of the steels mentioned are good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I carry a Spyderco Delica in ZDP-189 steel. I beat the hell out of it daily.Great lightweight knife.Always cutting twine on hay bails and anything else around the farm that needs cut.If i lose it it doesn"t hurt to bad. Just bought one in S90V as a bake up! can"t have to may Delicas.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (19rabbit52, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 74 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,085
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.