Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Remhunter
I recently bought a Remington 700 Moutain rifle in .280 Rem. I Am struggling to get a good load dialed in for it. I would ideally like to figure out a 160 grain load for all around use. Anybody out there have any insight on what they’ve had luck with?

My M70 fwt in .280 will shoot bug holes at 200 with Federal blue box 150gr. Try that. I can't duplicate the accuracy of the load so I'm not even going to try.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It would be interesting to pull down one of those loads and try to identify the powder and weigh the charge. I have a box I was just going to run through my 280 ai shooting rabbits or something to see hiw fed brass forms to AI. I'll have to dig the bullet puller out and at least see if it's extruded or ball,

I've always had good luck with 7828 in 280s with 150 or 160g bullets. I loaded a bunch years ago for a friend with 150 partitions over 7828. He wasn't interested in long range and said he'd never shoot past 500 he just just wanted a bullet that he could trust to work on anything.

Years later I ran into him and he said his teenage son is now using that rifle with my old hanldoads and killing everything from pronghorn to bear to elk and moose and never needed more than 1 shot. He asked me if I'd load another 100 to get his family through the next decade. I told him to come by the house and I'd let him use my reloading room to do it himself. These days I'm more into teaching a man to fish than giving him fish.

Bb