Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Next, checking zeros & farting around. Shot targets at 1,2,3,4,& 600 yards.

300 & 400:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wind and mirage kicked in and made things interesting at 600. The spotting scope was worthless for any feedback.

The top target I hit the frame on the right, bottom printed all three:

GB1

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Play time.......from 500 to a grand or so

Dead soldiers......

A good time was had by all.......except the jugs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
looks like everything is ready for a to be sold now that everything has been figured out.....lol
that is a sweet looking rig

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pullit
looks like everything is ready for a to be sold now that everything has been figured out.....lol....that is a sweet looking rig

Thanks, it came together quite well, & performance makes it sweeter.

Nothing's forever, and everything's for sale..... wink

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I painted the barrel a medium gray to cut down the shine, and will do something later on the action.

I have the 2.5-10x32 NXS mounted up, and ready to rock.

IC B2

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I got the Nightforce all sighted in, and realized the mag box was tweaked on the front, and wouldn't hold rounds down on the left side, grrrrr. Never had that happen before, so I had to take it out of the stock to straighten it up.

Whilst it was out, I drilled the outside of the forend for a sling stud, and drilled the inside for a t-nut, and glued it in, then bolted it all back together.

Back to the quarry to check zero:

Clean/cold went into a .425" at 100. I shanked the 1st shot at 200, but still went into an 1.450"

At 300, I tried holding my head way back on the stock, seeing only half the field of view in the scope, to try to eliminate the parallax. Didn't work for shlt, and the group went into a 2.830". So I shot another group holding normal, and was rewarded with a 1.725".

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I brought the scope down one click, and set the zero stop, again.

Next morning, I drove out to my other spot, dropped the target at 600, came back and got set up.

Tough to find the center with the bright sun on the target, and mirage cancelled out the black ring around the white target. Fired off 5 rounds at about one minute intervals. I could barely make out 2-3 of the shots through the spotter, and could tell I had elevation pretty good.

I cooled the barrel back down, and then adjusted the eyepiece to bring the target more into focus, at the expense of reticle sharpness. I shot 5 more on the lower target, taking almost ten minutes for the group. One had leaked right, but I was happy overall.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, I have two twist em up rifles, like em very much.

Trump Won!
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks Gunner, they've grown on me, but unlikely I'll do anymore.

These were supposed end 3 1/2" from the lug, but came back at 4 1/2" instead. Not sure if they weren't comfortable going to 3 1/2" or if they used a rubber ruler. Wouldn't have made any weight difference regardless, but aesthetically I would prefer them closer to the action.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like it is shooting great. Nice rig.

Semper Fi
IC B3

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Looks like it is shooting great. Nice rig.

Thanks.....it is.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Going long and confirming drops with the 2.5-10.......

The last time out on jugs, I was a little off on the velocities, so after running 17 rounds over the Oehler, the average was 3006. Interestingly, when new with only 10 rounds down the bore, the average was 3008. Most times I don't see any velocity increases as others do, and this time was no exception.

I set out some targets, ranging from 260 to 965 and got setup:

As I stretched it out, my 1st shots would go just over, and by the time I got to 965, I was 3 clicks strong. So I made notes as I went, to change the drop chart to suit when I got home.

Nobody got out alive:

Pretty well centered up across the board, with the low shot the closest jug at 530:

Once I got home, I changed the temp on JBM from the default standard of 59* to 80*, and my drops corresponded perfectly.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks Gunner, they've grown on me, but unlikely I'll do anymore.

These were supposed end 3 1/2" from the lug, but came back at 4 1/2" instead. Not sure if they weren't comfortable going to 3 1/2" or if they used a rubber ruler. Wouldn't have made any weight difference regardless, but aesthetically I would prefer them closer to the action.

Good stuff nonetheless aalf, saw your reply, went and measured my 'swede, went with one inch of shank, flutes stop 4 inches ahead of the action, knew I'd need barrel length to help run the little 'swede hard to pester my buds with six five creedmoors and PRC's, got that part handled, went shorter shank and flutes in case I ever want to take it for a walk, it weighs 9lb 4oz with 5 in the belly, no bipod.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good shooting as alway, and you almost had me, but everybody knows you have to have at 40 power to shoot past 400 yards (10 power per 100 yard rule....).......lol

Last edited by pullit; 08/24/20.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Per usual, the only constant is change......

I decided I wanted to drop the weight on this one, and after a bunch of research, I settled on wanting to find a discontinued Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 with the Multi-Firedot LRV Duplex, with an advertised weight of 12.7 ounces.

[img]https://cdnp.leupold.com/reticleImage/FireDot_LRV_Duplex_3dots_Ret_380px.png?mtime=20180118092008[/img]

Low and behold, the morning I was going to place a WTB ad for that scope, a 3-9x40 version popped up for sale here on the fire. After a quick search to see how much more that scope weighed over the 2-7, I figured a bird in the hand was worth the 2.6 oz weigh penalty, so I snagged it up. Once in hand, actual weight was 14.2 ozs...yea.

So, once I removed the NF and bolted it back on my 6x47 Batgun, I decided to re-paint barrel from the too shiny gray, to a flat black, then slid the Beatooth stock guard shell holder on the butt, and gave it a mile of black tape to hold it in place. Then I mounted the new to me Leupold up in a set of Talley 30mm mediums I luckily happened to have laying around, and scrounged up a set of Butler Creeks out of the BC bucket. Once in place, I got it bore sighted and ready to rock.

When the smoked cleared, I had dropped a half pound off the gun, with a fighting weigh now of 7 lbs, 12 ozs empty.

That night, I took it out to the quarry and got a good 200 zero.

Next stop, testing drops at distance.....

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Though you guy's were talking about my dog, Twisted Sister. :-)

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Running the drop chart on JBM, with a 200 yard zero, the first tic down is 310 yards, the second tic is 420 yards, and the top of the picket is 530 yards. Easy peasy to remember, now to confirm......

Setup at 310:

Three shot group:

Setup at 420:

Three shot group on the left steel, then moved to the 530 mark & shot one on the right steel. I'm blaming my hold on the post for landing low, and not the ballistics. I didn't want to shoot another shot, as I was shooting the carbon gun the same day, and it's too big of a hassle to drive around the creek to re-paint targets.

Next shot hopefully on fur......it's certainly ready......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
sweet

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 20 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,142
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.