Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Am trying to figure out what your point is.

Have generally had good luck with used brass, especially the once-fired cases sold by member crod1972, who regularly sells brass fired by a powder company during testing.

Amen. Also, as craigster said, maybe an out of spec chamber? I've never had issues with "used" brass being used in my 30-06 rifles, or any other rifles. At one time I had 8 30-06 rifles and loaded the same brass for all of them. Maybe all my chambers were sloppy and used so the used brass worked like a charm?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer to buy or, if necessary, make new brass and, if possible, get all of the cases from the same production lot.

I have a process that I follow that begins with having between 100 and 300 cases that are dedicated to a single rifle. Hunting rifles get 100 cases, while varmint rifles get 200 or 300 cases.

Since I have a dedicated set of brass for each rifle, I don't have any reason to use brass that has been used in a specific rifle in any other rifles.

Before anybody gets their panties in bunch, I'm NOT saying that this is the best way to do it, just that it is my way and since I've been doing it for better than 4 decades with good results I'm not likely to climb out of my comfortable rut.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I think it can be fine. But not always. And most times it’s not worth the hassle. I’ve tried to like 223 brass second hand. Quite often it’s unusable.

You are doing something wrong then. All of the 223 brass I use in my AR's and bolt guns, for that matter, is range pickup...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Rug3
I think it can be fine. But not always. And most times it’s not worth the hassle. I’ve tried to like 223 brass second hand. Quite often it’s unusable.

My experience has been quite different. Moving on.

Apparently that's the experience of most of us--so far. Would like to hear from others whose experience is different.

Did have difficulty a few years ago, due to owning several .257 Roberts rifles. Had two sets of dies, one for Eileen's loading room. My dies would not size brass fired in her .257 enough to chamber correctly. Got rid of the "bad" set of dies and the problem went away.

This is 1200 pcs of range pickup FC 223 brass from a few years ago. I picked it up at the local range (gravel quarry) one day. I've been using it ever since:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It works in all of my ar's:

Maybe I'm just a lucky bastid??

I have the same problem with my 6.5 creedmoor brass:
Originally Posted by TRexF16
I've had nothing but good experience using once fired brass I scrounged from folks who didn't want to save it. So many times at the range, I have a person shooting next to me, sometimes with multiple boxes they bought all at once (same lot). If I notice they are just ejecting the brass and letting it fall, I'll pick up a few and set them on their bench, asking "are you keeping these?" If they say yes, I've done a good deed. If they say no, I ask if I can have them and the answer is always yes. I make sure, in a subtle way, that it's new brass, not something reloaded. I've got what seems like every common caliber of rifle so there's not much I don't need.
Recently scored 60 same lot .243, 60 same lot 7 RM, and 60 same lot 30-06. I don't think I have ever even bought new 30-06 brass (Though I was given an ammo can full of once fired Lake City 67 Match back in the 90s, so that has covered most of my 30-06 needs over the years, as well as making some great 25-06 rounds)
I don't own a 6.5 CM but if I ever do I am totally fixed for good Hornady brass. That's one that it seems like lots of folks discard.

Sorry, kind of long winded.

Rex

6.5CM Hornady brass works just fine in my rifles. However, I use starline, and S&B as well. The 6.5cm is generally very unfinicky in regards to which brand of brass you use. I think you find a lot of Hornady 6.5cm brass because there are a lot of people buying factory ammo in big lots like the Hornady american gunner. Its's great stuff and at a great price, most of the time.. Generally 200 rounds for around $150.00 (on sale) around here..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 500 LC .308 cases I bought from a dealer in such, and they're fine once decrimped and sorted. I occasionally pick up range brass to use for dummy rounds and setting up equipment, but not for ammo. A notorious brass scrounger at one of the ranges I use ruined an upper when one of his bargain cases had a total head separation. Point taken.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You are doing something wrong then. All of the 223 brass I use in my AR's and bolt guns, for that matter, is range pickup...

I don't have a problem with picking up once fired cases at a range when it's from factory ammo. I did that years ago at the range with new Winchester .308 cases and also scored a heap from a mate who worked at the Parks and Wildlife. He had a bunch of .308 cases from a work range shoot session. But that is factory cases. Run it through a full length die and Bob's your uncle.

But I wouldn't trust used cases when hand loaded by an unknown source. On another gun forum I check out, some of the loads are scary. One bloke gets 3 400 fps from his .257 Roberts with 100gn bullets. I wouldn't be buying used brass from him.......................or his rifle for that matter.

I guess when you buy a secondhand rifle in some odd chambering with used cases thrown in, you have to take a chance but I'd prefer not to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indeed Elvis, folks who get their ammo free are particularly generous with the "empties."
I was out at a range on the west side of Las Vegas back in the 90s, and a fella showed up with what appeared to be his SWAT sniper rifle. He spent an hour or so running 100 Federal .308 factory Match rounds through it, then left, leaving both the cases and boxes behind. All same lot. And though for some stupid reason I never joined the shooting team back when I was in the Air National Guard, I had buddies that did. They gave me a big ammo can filled with once fired Federal .223 Match brass - must be a few thousand in there - it's all I've ever used in my rifles.

Sorry I can't help with any first hand horror stories, Mule Deer, maybe somebody else will chime in with one.

Cheers,
Rex

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think the only real potential for folly is, as others have pointed out, brass from unscrupulous or questionable sources. My best score purchasing once fired brass was on ebay way back when - 600 1x fired 444 RP brass for $99. I lament the loss of tinman as a source for brass there.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have no qualms about used brass. I must know the number of firings on any brass I load.

Depending on the amount and apparent age, I will sort by head stamp, uniform the brass
and separate by weight before using.

I prefer once fired brass for my hunting loads.

I have/had a couple guns that would go up past 15 firings with a batch of brass. Some others maybe 4.
Re using brass is a great way to save $$$$.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I always run new brass in my Weatherby Magnum hunting loads. Severely limits potential problems in the field. Once fired for everything else. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I prefer to buy or, if necessary, make new brass and, if possible, get all of the cases from the same production lot.

I have a process that I follow that begins with having between 100 and 300 cases that are dedicated to a single rifle. Hunting rifles get 100 cases, while varmint rifles get 200 or 300 cases.

Since I have a dedicated set of brass for each rifle, I don't have any reason to use brass that has been used in a specific rifle in any other rifles.

Before anybody gets their panties in bunch, I'm NOT saying that this is the best way to do it, just that it is my way and since I've been doing it for better than 4 decades with good results I'm not likely to climb out of my comfortable rut.

+1

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

+1

I'm glad you aren't saying your way is the best way. Many ways to skin a cat. The other day I picked up 200 pcs of once fired 300 blackout brass, some starline 10mm and 100+ pcs of 357 sig brass that I know was once fired. Some of you guys like paying high prices for brass, while others are systematic and careful with selection of range pickup brass. The guys in the know are not going to just pick up garbage and try to use it. That would be fu... stupid. After you've loaded enough, you know what to look for in good brass. If not, you might as well take up golf..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's ok if one does not want to use it.

I always check it out for problems before any work in done on the brass.

I do clean all just to see if any are bad.

To me if nothing shows up then they are all good.

I even have brass for guns i don't have yet. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sons have friends that shoot. They all come down to the farm fairly often. No one besides me reloads to any great degree. I get the brass. The guys also bring me range sweepings from wherever else they are going. As a result, I end up with quite a bit of other people's brass. My sons call it "The Range Tax."

I tried a big batch of range sweepings in 223 Rem over my COVID quarantine, and had lousy luck. I thought I'd just put together some blasting ammo in the Hornady LNL AP. There was enough variation in primer pockets, etc. that it played hell with the press. I wasn't trying to push the envelope. It's actually accurate enough. It was just a pain to manufacture.

Normally I buy 1-fired brass on the Internet and use it in batches that are dedicated to one rifle. I've not had trouble with any of the stuff I've bought to date. For the bottlenecked stuff, I usually anneal before my first load and every 4th load thereafter.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use range pickup brass all the time in a variety of long guns, no issues and the groups I get generally satisfy me. I sort by headstamp, and dedicate brass to particular rifles.

First 223 rifle I ever owned, in fact, was specifically bought because I started finding lots of brass on the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I'll bet 85-90% of all reloads are in used brass.
How do we ever get by?
This is hilarious.

I’m talking about brass used in another rifle.

Used brass? Is that no, what full length sizing dies are for?

I pick up, sort, clean, size full length, length gauge, champfer & deburr & prime to have load ready cases for any rifle in said chambering.

Once fired - the cases could be used rifle specific. Personally, I seldom bother.

Unless you are saying, above it to much work and you would rather start with virgin factory brass or once fired from that rifle brass of factory ammo - the remaining load steps being neck size, prime, powder, seat bullet, I really do not see your problem.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In more than 40 yrs. of handloading I have always used once fired brass, usually it is from my rifles although I do buy once fired brass from other sources. Never had any problems, always able to assemble hunting accurate loads with this brass. I inspect all brass after tumbling, deburr flash holes, uniform primer pockets and use a VLD deburring tool on the inside of necks. Other than those steps I don't take any other measures, I use Redding FL sizing dies and Hornady New Dimension seaters. This combination yields ammo with .003" TIR concentricity and loads that my rifles like will shoot into a 3 shot group @ 100yds. that is usually 1" - 1 1/2".

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have lots of once fired 223 brass for mod700 varmint.
Just ordered an AR15, do I need small base dies for the
ARs or can I use the regular full length resizing dies?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Only if it's once fired and not reloaded before. Some people will push the envelope too far pressure wise. If so they may have expanded the head and loosened the primer pocket or cracked the brass at the head. I don't trust once reloaded brass. People that reload are probably not going to leave brass they know is still good at the range. Also, if they aren't reloaders and leave their factory once fired brass, that's good for reloading especially if you full length resize it the first time you use it. I can pretty well tell brass that's once fired and never reloaded.

However, I don't rely on picked up brass for most of my loading. I either buy factory ammo and shoot it and reload the brass or I buy new brass. I've been doing that mostly lately because it's cheaper than factory loaded ammo.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/17/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldcuss
I have lots of once fired 223 brass for mod700 varmint.
Just ordered an AR15, do I need small base dies for the
ARs or can I use the regular full length resizing dies?

You only need small base dies if. . . well, if you need small base dies. If extraction becomes a problem, small base dies are a quick fix, but I' wouldn't go looking for trouble until it found me.

N'est pas?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (2500HD, 160user, 17CalFan, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.