Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
my pole bldg shop is just about done and next step is to find a good used woodburner. this is a typical pole bldg with 10 foot ceilings. i'm going to install the burner on a side wall. looking for ideas on how to run the chimbly up the outside wall and secure it. some kind of base mount and bracket deal i suppose. any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Double wall insulated chimney pipe would be best.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
yes i plan on double or triple. looking for ideas on mounting it to the side of the metal bldg.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
looking for ideas on how to run the chimbly up the outside wall and secure it. some kind of base mount and bracket deal i suppose.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Double wall insulated chimney pipe would be best.

'Goon saves the day!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pellet stove go right out the wall with no chimney. They are easy to maintain, since sweeping the flu is a 15 minute job with no ladder.
Double wall stainless chimney is pretty expensive.
I can cut my own wood, but pellets are more cost effective considering labor, mess, time.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To answer the question, Google "chimney wall strap"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Selkirk Metalbestos. Local builder suppliers usually have kits for running them through a roof or through and up an outside wall.

Since it's for a shop, running it outside a wall is no big deal, but I don't care for it if it's primary heating for a residence.

For a residence, I prefer Excel chimneys and pipe.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go with a class A chimney, you only need insulated pipe above that, insulated pipe is crazy expensive.. From the stove to the ceiling you can use double wall or single wall depending on clearances. Personally I like to go straight up from the stove as its alot easier to clean.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've seen auger tube used, but I'd still stay with the Selkirk type. You will need to clean the chimney, make sure you can get to the top without falling.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you go through the wall you will need at least one and possibly two elbows which will make it more difficult to clean as others have already said. I would consider putting single wall pipe straight up and using double or triple wall through the ceiling and roof. You will get a lot of heat transfer from the stove pipe into the shop using single wall pipe. Of course there are also building codes and insurance issues that enter into the picture.

IC B3

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
i may do a through the roof chimney, still in the design phase. i am paranoid about roof leaks but i guess if its done right, that won't be an issue. i agree that the single wall up to the ceiling would provide a lot of radiant heat.

also kicking around the pellet stove deal. i will price both out. i just am paranoid about the electronics breaking in it. it would greatly simplify the install though. i have years worth of good cherry hardwood for fuel for a woodstove though and i can get pretty much all i want and i have a log splitter and two sons.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unless you have no other choice go through the roof and utilize all that heat from the flew to heat your shop instead of losing it outside with the wall mount.
Had it this way for over 20 years in my shop and no problems.
Through the roof mount allows for a straight run for better draw, less creosote buildup, easier cleaning when needed and more heat in the shop where you want it, win win.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Run triple wall at the roof, regardless of code, do a good over lap around the flange on the roof and you'll be good to go.....and stick with wood...with access to hard woods like you do and personal slaves, the pellet stove is wasted effort.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In fact it is easier to clean with a pipe straight out through the wall, then a 90 outside, and then go straight up. At the bottom of that connection you have a cap that unscrews.
You are standing there, maybe 5 feet above the ground you unscrew the cap and run the brush right up. All the creosote lands on the ground no mess inside.
And then you disconnect the horizontal run and the little vertical run coming off of the stove, take that pipe out side and sweep it. I had a setup like this for years and it is very easy to clean. Also, you can run this outside the roof and not make a hole in the roof, always a good thing.

However, these new high efficiency stoves do not like these 90 degree bends. The high end stoves these day want a straight pipe right up through the roof with no bends.
I just had a $2500 Jotul installed in my new living room 4 years ago and I ran the pipe straight up through the roof with no bends. It draws great.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rem141r
i may do a through the roof chimney, still in the design phase. i am paranoid about roof leaks but i guess if its done right, that won't be an issue. i agree that the single wall up to the ceiling would provide a lot of radiant heat.

also kicking around the pellet stove deal. i will price both out. i just am paranoid about the electronics breaking in it. it would greatly simplify the install though. i have years worth of good cherry hardwood for fuel for a woodstove though and i can get pretty much all i want and i have a log splitter and two sons.

Straight up is my preference. Done correctly, it will not leak. It’s just another roof vent.

Wood stove shop or good building supply should have metalbestos literature, and Shirley there is lots of info on utube and the ‘net.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had 3 fireplace stores and installed hundreds of units and inspected burn downs for insurance companies. You're getting good and bad advise so far. Codes dictate everything and it's in your best interest to align with them.

Class A pipe is mandatory as soon as you penetrate a wall, ceiling or roof and then it must continue to termination. Minimum clearance from combustibles on single wall pipe is 18", double wall is 6" and class A is 2". Old school uninsulated triple wall is obsolete and dumbasses telling you to use it are retards.

We usually avoid sending the pipe column through the wall down low and then going up because it represents a tall column of cold air inside the pipe that wants to sink due to being heavier, thus hindering draft qualities. Starting a fire with this setup smokes like hell because that tall column of cold air is driving downward into your living space.

Another reason we avoid that setup is class A is much more expensive than single wall pipe.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What kind of wood stove are you thinking of buying?
What are the dimensions of the shop? How high is the ceiling?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rwa3006
I had 3 fireplace stores and installed hundreds of units and inspected burn downs for insurance companies. You're getting good and bad advise so far. Codes dictate everything and it's in your best interest to align with them.

Class A pipe is mandatory as soon as you penetrate a wall, ceiling or roof and then it must continue to termination. Minimum clearance from combustibles on single wall pipe is 18", double wall is 6" and class A is 2". Old school uninsulated triple wall is obsolete and dumbasses telling you to use it are retards.

We usually avoid sending the pipe column through the wall down low and then going up because it represents a tall column of cold air inside the pipe that wants to sink due to being heavier, thus hindering draft qualities. Starting a fire with this setup smokes like hell because that tall column of cold air is driving downward into your living space.

Another reason we avoid that setup is class A is much more expensive than single wall pipe.

You're right, I have insulated, called it triple by mistake, should have clarified. As to "dumbasses telling you to use it are retards"?.... GFY.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What kind of wood stove are you thinking of buying?
What are the dimensions of the shop? How high is the ceiling?

i was going to try to find a good used woodstove with firebrick and no cat and a glass door. something rated for 1500 SF give or take. shop is 24x40x10 with r22 blown in the attic and insulation under the metal roof. soffit and ridge vents. plastic house wrap is all around the outside walls under the metal. i plan on studding in the interior and insulating with fiberglass battens and then some sort of rough cut for the paneling. in retrospect i should have had the chimney installed through the roof first before the ceiling and insulation went in. it just didn't work out that way due to the contractors schedule and too many other things going on at once. thats why i was thinking of going through the wall and up the side.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where is the shop? Are you in the land of ice and snow? Is this a metal roof?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.