Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
She was 'selling crocheted pot holders. She told us she lived in a tent. If she did, methinks in was pitched in he living room.

I told her she could keep the potholders, and gave her two dollars. She was not happy, I think she had a minimum fee of 20.

I was sort of worried her grandson was behind me when I pulled out my wallet.

Oh my.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Does this apply to Obama and Bernie t-shirts?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Had a homeless guy arrive dead on arrival to Ed 2 years ago. Found on a side walk barely breathing. Had close to 30g cash in his worn out backpack Was panhandling around the area per police, but was more transient. Makes me wander why he was homeless. He had money!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Answer - he was crazy. They closed all the loony bins a while back and let the crazies out. Once they are off their, meds, they revert to being crazy. When I first worked in NYC in the late 1970s, the homeless were all over the place. I worked in the JC Penny building and we had a large black woman living out of a laundry bin by the loading dock. She was nuttier than a fruit cake, screaming all the time. I would see the crazy drummer seen in one of the movies - maybe Mean Streets - all the time. He drummed on mail boxes, manhole covers, whatever. Crazies were on the subway, making noise and asking for money to stop.

Then Ed Koch got elected and he cleaned it all up.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Had a homeless guy arrive dead on arrival to Ed 2 years ago. Found on a side walk barely breathing. Had close to 30g cash in his worn out backpack Was panhandling around the area per police, but was more transient. Makes me wander why he was homeless. He had money!

No derogatory implications intended, but by chance was he of gypsy or Jewish genealogy as best you could tell?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by BobBrown
They make a decent living standing there begging at red lights. The overhead is low.

One of my friends is a construction foreman and had a couple guys bail on his team. He stopped by a spot that had a few guys who looked perfectly capable of doing manual labor. He offered them $15 an hour for guaranteed 3 days unskilled work. They all stood there with their "can't find work" signs and refused to take his offer. One of them said they could make almost twice that much doing nothing and it would be tax free. And because they show no income they can go get free food at the food bank.

Allla this ^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by shaman
As I tell my sons: "We're all just one bump in the head away from living under a bridge."

I tell my son: "Look at that [bleep], if you ever turn out like that I'll kick the [bleep] out of you"

No schit.

Look, if it weren't true, I wouldn't be saying it. Let's say you get in car wreck. You get a concussion. You get taken to the hospital, and get all the right treatment, but scar tissue develops. 6 months later, you start having paranoid delusions. Your wife takes you to the shrink, they put you on meds, but little by little your personality starts to corrode. Within a year, you've walked away from your job and family and you're living under a bridge.

It's a fairly common story. I'm not saying you need to be nice to the guy. He's nuts. He's tormented. He can't live inside, because he has paranoid delusions. I do my best to avoid them. The moral of the story is drive safely, wear your harness, and always wear your hard hat on the job.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looked like a rough old homeless white guy. Hell of a beard lol

Not the first time stuff like that happened in the Er. Have had crazies off the Appalachian trail brought in. Find out they are missing persons from long ways away( one I remember was from west Texas). missing for 2-3 years. Presumed dead apparently. Schizophrenia, mental breaks, or whatever. Some have lots of cash in there bags. The guy from Texas had a lot, but don’t remember exactly how much. Most get committed and when released are a completely different person.

Last year a homeless guy said we lost his Rolex watch that was placed in the hospital safe in a tamper proof bag by 2 security officers. They went to look again. Sure as crap he had a Rolex

Hard to know if Gypsy ancestry. I myself am descended from Roma. My great grandmother was 100% Gypsy. You would not know that by looking at most of that side of my family

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There have been carefully done studies on who the "homeless" are. Only a small percentage are people who truly working people who have just fallen on hard times and are without a place to live. These people generally are only homeless for a week or two until they get another job and possibly some government or charity assistance with housing. The vast majority are mentally ill, drug and alcohol abusers and panhandlers. They have tried to take some of these people and put them in free apartments and they invariably end up back on the streets. So there is not really a homeless problem but a problem with mental illness and drug and alcohol abuse. We used to treat mental health with hospitalization but the courts ruled that you can't forcibly keep these people against their will under most circumstances. I guess drug and alcohol addiction is a illness of it's own but I have less sympathy. I had a cousin who was an alcoholic. He was given a modest but paid off house when his mother died. He only had to pay the property taxes to keep it (probably less than $2k a year). The government took it within a few years for taxes. Lots of people tried to help him (he was a trained car mechanic who could easily get a job) but he died "homeless" in an alley one winter night. Some people are self-destructive addicts and there is not much you can do to change it.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.