Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a spotting scope kit for under $150 that will have a scope, tripod and case.

The application is target shooting at 100 yards.

One question is whether I want straight or angled.

Thank you in advance.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timely question as I am in the same position. I will take mine out west when I vacation. Mainly for piddling. Doug has this one for what seems like a good price. Maybe he'll ring in with some info about it.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...9119&query=athlon%20spotting%20scope

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have literally sold hundreds of the Athlon Talos 20-60x80 Spotting scope. Is it the greatest scope out there? No. Is is a good quality spotter and something as good as anything twice our $124.99 selling price? Yes, absolutely.

Silver Coated K9 Prism K9 glass prisms with silver coating reflect great mount of lights to your eyes which will give you bright image.
Fully Multi-Coated Lenses Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you great light transmission and bring bright images to your eyes.
Nitrogen Purged Nitrogen Purging uses the inertia gas to purge moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Waterproof Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Rotating Ring Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Magnification 20-60
Objective Lens Diameter 80 mm
Prism Glass K9
Prism Coating Silver Coating
Lense Coating Fully Multi-Coated
Field of View 82.9-48 ft
Exit Pupil 3.3-1.22 mm
Eye Relief 0.7-0.6"
Close Focus 19.7′
Dimension (LxW) 16.5"X3.75"
Weight 38.5 oz

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I saw the title of the post I was going to come on here and tell you not to waste your money because I had gone down the same road and been disappointed with the performance of budget spotting scopes. However, I ended up with an Athlon from Doug (although one of their higher end scopes) and if Doug says the Talos is good, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 08/17/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
We have literally sold hundreds of the Athlon Talos 20-60x80 Spotting scope. Is it the greatest scope out there? No. Is is a good quality spotter and something as good as anything twice our $124.99 selling price? Yes, absolutely.

Silver Coated K9 Prism K9 glass prisms with silver coating reflect great mount of lights to your eyes which will give you bright image.
Fully Multi-Coated Lenses Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you great light transmission and bring bright images to your eyes.
Nitrogen Purged Nitrogen Purging uses the inertia gas to purge moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
Waterproof Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Rotating Ring Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Magnification 20-60
Objective Lens Diameter 80 mm
Prism Glass K9
Prism Coating Silver Coating
Lense Coating Fully Multi-Coated
Field of View 82.9-48 ft
Exit Pupil 3.3-1.22 mm
Eye Relief 0.7-0.6"
Close Focus 19.7′
Dimension (LxW) 16.5"X3.75"
Weight 38.5 oz

Soon to have an incoming order.

EDIT: They need someone to help them with the Chinglish.

Silver Coated K9 Prism
K9 glass prisms with silver coating reflect great mount of lights to your eyes which will give you bright image.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/17/20.
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I would double your budget and end up with four times the optic

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would go used.Plenty of really good spotters out there.I just picked up a excellent Bushnell Spacemaster.If the scope was made today.It would be a 5-600 scope.Another thing the tripods you get are flimsy.Save up a little more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Looking for a spotting scope kit for under $150 that will have a scope, tripod and case.

Thank you in advance.

If 100 yard holes in paper is what you want to see, you don't need to even spend close to that. Find something like a Simmons, Tasco etc that comes with a tripod for a bench top. Can probably get one for as little as 50 bucks.

If you have binoculars, that might do for now.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre

You could have added which optic you recommend and contrasted your experience with that optic with your experience with an optic in his price range.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Dre

You could have added which optic you recommend and contrasted your experience with that optic with your experience with an optic in his price range.

I have a Minox md 50 and it’s a fine little optic for 200$
But when I called doug and got the Athlon for Around 400. It was Night and day difference

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Here's a USA made product in your price range.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gosky 20-60x60 HD Spotting Scope with Tripod, Carrying Bag and Scope Phone Adapter - BAK4 45 Degree Angled Eyepiece Telescope for Target Shooting Hunting Bird Watching Wildlife Scenery.

Lots of reviews. Available from amazon. It will do what you ask.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Thank you in advance.

If 100 yard holes in paper is what you want to see, you don't need to even spend close to that. Find something like a Simmons, Tasco etc that comes with a tripod for a bench top. Can probably get one for as little as 50 bucks.

If you have binoculars, that might do for now.

Last weekend I took my brother to the range - he had a brand new Burris compact spotter, I had my Leupold compact in my range bag.
Thus I had the opportunity to compare side by side,
With the Burris, we couldn't (Neither one of us) see 22 cal holes at 100 and barely make out the 30 cal holes, With the Leupold (Compact so not the very best I'll admit) we were able to see the holes in the paper at 100.
Also, I used to coach Air Rifle Team and we used cheap $20 spotters but only 10 meters, Maybe one day I'll borrow a couple of those and run then to 100 meters just to see.

Someone recommended by used and get 4X the scope for 2X the $$$$, Probably good advice.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting because I have a real piece of crap Simmons that I bought for under 50 bucks a few years back and I can easily see .25 caliber holes in paper at 100 yards. It came in a really nice hard case with a tripod. I can see steel swinging at 550 yards too.

I would love to have something nicer but I don't hunt with it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With apologies to MtnBoomer, Wal-Mart and all of my fellow countrymen, I offer this comment. I ordered the Athlon late yesterday afternoon from Doug. It's due to arrive here Thursday. For a few coins more than the Wal-Mart special and supporting a site sponsor, it's worth it to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got it in today. Doug's assessment was on the money. It will do the job the OP wants it to for sure.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So the Athlon is a good range scope? What about poor light? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back when I was a poor carpenter I bought a $69 Barska 20-60 x 80 from Big 5 Sporting Goods. It came in a case with a tripod. I had no trouble seeing .22 caliber holes at 100 yards with it, and that wasn't even at full power. It was hard to get a decent focus at 60x.
That one Doug is suggesting will probably get you by.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by NVhntr
Back when I was a poor carpenter I bought a $69 Barska 20-60 x 80 from Big 5 Sporting Goods. It came in a case with a tripod. I had no trouble seeing .22 caliber holes at 100 yards with it, and that wasn't even at full power. It was hard to get a decent focus at 60x.
That one Doug is suggesting will probably get you by.

It starts getting grainy on 60X.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Notwithstanding all of we (notice I include myself) pseudo-optics-snobs, it truly is amazing how much there is that is out there, even new, that will satisfy the needs of the OP. There are plenty of people in his same boat who do not need to spend more to accomplish exactly what he is trying to accomplish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.