Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
TinC**k,

Explanations on not doing the 69 ShameKing agin'.

Danke.

You can will address me as TinCOCK.

I insist.

I had inconsistent expansion with the 69 Sierra at .223 Rem velocities, from 50 yards up to about 200 yards. Sometimes it would act like a varmint bullet, other times it wouldn't. Everything died, but in one instance a doe antelope shot at about 75 yards tight behind the shoulder ran close to 1/2 mile before bedding down. She was still awake and very much alive and needed another round. She had chunks of lung blowing out of the entrance hole (no exit) the whole way so I an not sure one can draw a conclusion there.....she may just have been a tough 'ol broad.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6x6.8, 90g SGKT bullet, 243, 90g NHBT bullet, nothing else needed

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
H
HawkI Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by HawkI
TinC**k,

Explanations on not doing the 69 ShameKing agin'.

Danke.

You can will address me as TinCOCK.

I insist.

I had inconsistent expansion with the 69 Sierra at .223 Rem velocities, from 50 yards up to about 200 yards. Sometimes it would act like a varmint bullet, other times it wouldn't. Everything died, but in one instance a doe antelope shot at about 75 yards tight behind the shoulder ran close to 1/2 mile before bedding down. She was still awake and very much alive and needed another round. She had chunks of lung blowing out of the entrance hole (no exit) the whole way so I an not sure one can draw a conclusion there.....she may just have been a tough 'ol broad.

TinCOCK,

Thanks.

Someone who used to post here hyped them up at one time.

I got the idea he liked to fancy himself as a pro-jock, the Lamma. Then he got serious about 9mms and nasty bears...turned out to be a semi-pro gel shooter.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only four antelope here as well. Two with the 25-06 Rem 700 CDL, 6x Leupold, 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip & Retumbo. Two with the 30-06 Rem 700 CDL, 6x Leupold, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip & H4350.

Of mine I'd say the 25-06 seems like the better antelope rifle, but the good ol' 30-06 sure didn't disappoint. The rifles are near twins, deliberately. I do most of my hunting with those two. The 25-06 kills might have been a tad quicker, but... with only four kills, who knows? I go to Wyoming with the 25-06 in mind as the primary antelope rifle, and the 30-06 as the primary mule deer rifle, but those two get swapped around now and then.

2012, 25-06:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2014, 25-06:

2016, 30-06:

2018, 30-06:

I dearly love stalking the antelope. And the backstrap steaks...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
goats are fun to hunt i even killed them with a 17 Remington but my favorite cartridge is still a 257 Weatherby Mag. hope you all have a great fall hunting. Pete53 p.s. don`t forget to vote TRUMP 2020

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The same shot as the first with a 243 would have put her down and out on the spot.

May I ask how you're so sure about this?

Sure you can ask, I've shot them at the same angle with the 243 and 6mm rem the bullets don't deflect they go right thru into the chest cavity. 5 years ago I hit a 14" buck in the same spot with my 280 and found that 140gr solid base Nosler in the hindquarter ,full front to rear penetration . It is why the best shot is a perpendicular dbl lung shot if you can get it, they just don't allways cooperate though. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cascade------Is that the same old push feed Remington 30/06 that you used on your Grizzly Hunt? Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cascade------Is that the same old push feed Remington 30/06 that you used on your Grizzly Hunt? Bob

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
/quote] huntshoot
T_Inman botched his shot and said so. You botched your shot and blamed the cartridge. That's ridiculous. You should have brought a 20mm something. That would have solved your poor shooting.[/quote]
Well I don't recall seeing you there, so as a first hand witness as to whether I botched the shot you have no credibility. I have shot over 70 head of antelope. Lot of different angles with more than a few different cartridges and bullets over the last 46 years. I know the difference between a botched shot and a ineffective bullet performance. Use what you like I'll stick with works everytime. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob,

You missed the vitals. Again, you are blaming a cartridge because you missed the vitals.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/21/20.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same shot as the first with a 243 would have put her down and out on the spot.

May I ask how you're so sure about this?

Sure you can ask, I've shot them at the same angle with the 243 and 6mm rem the bullets don't deflect they go right thru into the chest cavity. 5 years ago I hit a 14" buck in the same spot with my 280 and found that 140gr solid base Nosler in the hindquarter ,full front to rear penetration . It is why the best shot is a perpendicular dbl lung shot if you can get it, they just don't allways cooperate though. MB

I suspect the bullet I hit the buck with 2 days ago didn't deflect either. I just hit further right than I wanted to, and it missed anything immediately vital. I still fail to see how an identical hit with a .243" bullet would have made a difference, unless that bullet broke up and sent pieces (or even bone pieces) into the lungs. If that's the case, then wouldn't the same principle apply if I had used a more frangible bullet out of my .223 two days ago?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would probably stick with what you have faith with in your shoes. Myself I won't using the 60 gr Hornady in the 223 again for anything bigger than coyotes and p dogs. The 6's and 100gr bullets have served me well on antelope I'll stick with them. Mb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And this is how we get to "I kept losing deer with the 270, so I got this 7mm RM", or "Anything smaller than a 30 cal is marginal on deer", or "You need a 338 Mag for elk".

Bullets of all makes sometimes do weird stuff. And there's really no telling for sure what sorts of errors in aiming we make when we shoot at animals. Blaming a cartridge when a bullet doesn't strike the vitals causes all sorts of BS decisions, and fuels all sorts of BS discussions.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Huntsshoot your mouth off, not being there witnessing the shot seeing the damage and results just makes you another keyboard expert running off at the mouth about a situation you have NO personal knowledge of. Only thing your really missing here is a good chance to just shut the fuc up. Yeah that's what you need to hear, so read it 3-4 times till you get it. GOT IT?

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 08/21/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Huntsshoot your mouth off, not being there witnessing the shot seeing the damage and results just makes you another keyboard expert running off at the mouth about a situation you have NO personal knowledge of. Only thing your really missing here is a good chance to just shut the fuc up. Yeah that's what you need to hear, so read it 3-4 times till you get it. GOT IT?

Bob, I got it. You are wrong, can't admit it, and are getting defensive. Again, why people end up having irrational opinions, and carrying on irrational discussions.

Look, I don't care what you use, or why, but on a public forum, when you claim a cartridge is at fault because YOU MISSED THE VITALS, someone is going to call bullschitt on your bullschitt. Today, that someone is me. Your enemy is reality. And your weapon is your pride. You're gonna lose every time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The only bs here is you, you weren't there and don't have any firsthand knowledge of the shot and resulting damage yet you insist on knowing more about it than anyone else. You just keeping telling yourself how smart you are and you may come to believe it yet. Mb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only bs here is you, you weren't there and don't have any firsthand knowledge of the shot and resulting damage yet you insist on knowing more about it than anyone else. You just keeping telling yourself how smart you are and you may come to believe it yet. Mb

You keep making this about me, Bob, yet like you keep saying, I wasn't there. You were there. Your rifle was there, your miss of the vitals was there, and your ability to shoot again, and claim the animal what there. I am only reacting to your writing of the experience, and calling out your faulty logic in claiming the cartridge caused the miss of the vitals. Your own description is what I used to make this critique, along with my own experiences with various projectiles out of a 223 on deer, and all of the rest of my hunting experiences as well. When vitals are successfully hit using proper aim, "weak" cartridges and "fragile" bullets kill just fine. I have never seen a single example to the contrary. I have seen bullets do some wonky things, but follow-up shots proved again that well-placed hits kill quickly.

That you blamed a cartridge because you missed the vitals is very telling. I will keep saying that as long as you want to argue that a cartridge has anything to do with a successful hunt.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Add one more mid sized antelope to my .223 Rem's tally. The 62 TSX at about 200 yards entered the left shoulder as he faced me, traveled lengthwise down his left side, cutting over half of the left side ribs in half, just below the backstrap without hitting anything vital. First time I had seen that happen and it was a bad shot on my part. He ran about 2-300 yards out of sight and bedded down. I found him again and snuck up and put another round in him, this time as he was broadside. He didn't go anywhere after that, but kicked and took 2-3 minutes to die, which I wasn't too keen on watching.
]

I had about the same happen with a 260 & 120 BT.

I’ve used the 260 120BT combo on 3, and 270 with 140 AB, 140 Berger, and 135 MK once each. This year I’ll be using the 6.5 CM. Haven’t decided on bullet yet, maybe the 130 AB or the 139 Scenar.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve used 243 Win (3), 25-06 (2), 270 (3) and 338 Federal (1). 95 gr BT, 115gr BT, 140 AB, and 185TSX. All worked great. Logically the 243 is about ideal but if I could only use 1 it would probably be the 270, just because.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Yup.

Antelope, elk, mule deer, black bear, wolf, grizzly... It's done real well for me.

Regards, Guy

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,013
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.