Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
this editorial was in our newspaper this morning.

Do You Want a Bureaucrat, Age 20, Judging Your Parenting?

Aweek ago, Tennessee’s Department of Education announced it was going to start conducting monthly “child well-being” assessments of every single kid under age 18 in the state. These could be by phone, email or a knock on the door. On home visits, the so-called well-being liaison would be allowed to interview the children privately.

Did the state set any standards for what sort of person would be given that kind of access and responsibility? Well, the liaisons had to be at least 20 years old, and they had to pass a background check.

That’s it.

The parental uproar that ensued, I’m happy to report, was immediate and deafening. By Friday, just three days after the initiative was announced, it had been withdrawn by Gov. Bill Lee and the state’s education commissioner, Dr. Penny Schwinn.

“Although well-intentioned, we have missed the mark on communication and providing clarity around our role in supporting at-risk students during an unprecedented time,” Schwinn wrote in a letter to the state’s General Assembly. “Governor Lee has asked our department to remove this guidance document and go back to the drawing board so we get this right. I want to assure you that we recognize the concerns that you and your constituents share.”

The concern seems to be pretty basic: How dare you come to my house and investigate me as if I’m a suspected child abuser?

“We were encouraging people to call the governor’s office and their elected officials,” Dan Beasley, staff attorney at the Home School Legal Defense Association, told me. “Our data show that about 1,600 people responded directly to our action.” That seems to have done the trick.

The state’s initiative was created by the Child Wellbeing Task Force, a 38-member committee concerned that kids might be suffering behind closed doors, out of sight from teachers who might have noticed their distress and reported it to child protective services under different circumstances.

I can understand the worry: No one wants kids to be hurt or starved behind closed doors. The problem is that the state should not go around visiting people’s homes just because someone, somewhere might be in trouble. As the Home School Legal Defense Association wrote in a note to its constituents, “Such a policy, if adopted, would threaten the right of parents to be presumed to act in their own child’s best interests.”

Even Schwinn seemed to understand that. “I also acknowledge the vast difference between providing support for vulnerable students as opposed to any potential overreach into what parents determine is best for their children,” wrote the commissioner.

According to Diane Redleaf, co-chair of United Family Advocates and Let Grow’s legal consultant, the problem is, “Surveillance isn’t the support families need.” While the idea was to make sure families weren’t lacking food, shelter or health care, a home visit from the government can too easily mistake poverty for neglect and possibly separate children from their parents. Even cases that are ultimately dismissed can be traumatic.

As Tennessee reflects upon its overreach, perhaps the Department of Children and Families in Massachusetts could do the same. As the Boston Globe reported this past weekend, the state’s Department of Children and Families has the power to remove children who are being abused — as it should — but it considers distance-learning no-shows to be possible abuse cases.

That’s right: A kid who misses Zoom lessons could earn his parents a visit from child services. One mom even got a call from the department because an adult male had allegedly exposed himself in front of her daughter’s virtual class — except the “adult male” was actually the girl’s autistic 6-year-old brother. Rather than apologizing for the mistake and dropping the case, the school district notified the police anyway, the Globe reported.

That’s why you don’t want government evaluators knocking on every door just because they can. The chances for overreaction and obtuseness are just too great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don’t mind my 6 year old retarded brother, he has a dick like a hammerhead shark, he’s proud of it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Editorials are often long on emotion and short on facts. I'll wait until I know the whole story before I decide.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
[Linked Image from dafunion.files.wordpress.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What did Hillary used to say? "It takes a village".

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They backed off that once a bit of heat was applied. I understand they were giddy about getting a federal grant for this. Evidently, they didn't think anyone would mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The sheer arrogance of the liberals is astonishing.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Theyre trying to make parents sign a document promising they wont listen in during on-line instruction.

They dont want parents calling and raising hell about marxist indoctrination

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

No kidding and yet the state is overwhelmingly controlled by republicans at every level. Yep, must be those sneaky liberals.

I love how you make this stuff up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

No kidding and yet the state is overwhelmingly controlled by republicans at every level. Yep, must be those sneaky liberals.

Leroi,

Kudos to your work in this scene ,Mr Digk

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That be jag. He's total Hollywood.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not surprised at all- - - - -the entire Tennessee public education system is infested with a huge number of q uee rs and carpet munchers! An "alternative lifestyle" is almost a required resume' bullet point to check off for any position above "classroom teacher".

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Not surprised at all- - - - -the entire Tennessee public education system is infested with a huge number of q uee rs and carpet munchers! An "alternative lifestyle" is almost a required resume' bullet point to check off for any position above "classroom teacher".

And you can't root them out with that level of conservativism? You will tell yourself anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In this county, we have about 32,000 students. They have not promoted a director of school from within in probably 30+ years.

They seem to prefer to use some head-hunter service and haul some out of state unknown in here.

Right now we have the typical marxist no-nothing negro, and this position is 1st or 2nd highest paying position in the county. They turn directors over every 3-4 years. A shell game. Other counties do the same.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I can understand how the Department of Education would advocate for something like this whether the state was run by democrats or republicans. I can also understand why the Department of Education would not want parents listening in on their indoctrination lessons. The Departments of Education are mostly liberal institutions of indoctrination in all states.
Apparently the governor told them to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different plan. Sounds like the Department of Education was trying to pull a fast one and got caught. Someone needs to keep an eye on the Department of Indoctrination. Those sneaky liberals.

Last edited by 45_100; 08/23/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I guarantee it wasn't a conservative that came up with this garbage.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When Richard Benjamin was director of the Metro Nashville school system, during one particularly contentious salary negotiation I voted along with 94% of my fellow teachers to donate a day's pay and buy out the remaining time on his contract and fire him. That didn't happen, but the school board got the message. He was gone less than a year later, despite having ben mayor Phil Bredesen's roommate in college. He had been fired from two other large school systems prior to coming to Nashville.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
In this county, we have about 32,000 students. They have not promoted a director of school from within in probably 30+ years.

They seem to prefer to use some head-hunter service and haul some out of state unknown in here.

Right now we have the typical marxist no-nothing negro, and this position is 1st or 2nd highest paying position in the county. They turn directors over every 3-4 years. A shell game. Other counties do the same.

Proof positive that we need better politicians managing Tennessee's education. Buck stops at the top, republican across the board.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I guarantee it wasn't a conservative that came up with this garbage.

if not it absolutely is a conservative system that tolerates it and allows it to happen. Buck stops at the top, again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
"Republican" does not mean "conservative".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,477,994
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.