I posted this question in the CampFire back 8years ago in 2012 lol..... laugh

Well, it’s had a good run so far! grin

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by STA
You can get factory ammunition in both 300Win and 35Whelen with 200gr bullets that are running 2900fps+. So if shots were 300yds and under why would anyone choose a 300Win over a 35Whelen?

The Whelen is my choice for a rifle with a 20" barrel and doesn't loose the velocity like a 300 win mag will with a 20" barrel!

The 35 Whelen requires far less powder to achieve equal velocities as the 300 win mag

The 35 Whelen barrel will last far longer than a 300 win mag barrel as well!

There is an argument to be made for the superior sectional density of the 300 win mag but if the game you are shooting gets pass thru's Everytime with a 35 Whelen the argument than leans toward the 35 Whelen likely deposited more energy inside the animal due to frontal diameter of the bullet passing thru

For under 300 yards I'd give the edge to the Whelen for versatility

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by STA
I posted this question in the CampFire back 8years ago in 2012 lol..... laugh

It's a great question 😁😁😁

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Trystan

The 35 Whelen requires far less powder to achieve equal velocities as the 300 win mag

Trystan

Show me.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Trystan

Show me.

Why only question that?
"The Whelen is my choice for a rifle with a 20" barrel and doesn't loose the velocity like a 300 win mag will with a 20" barrel!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Trystan

Show me.

No! Look it up 🤗

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Trystan

Show me.

Try Speer Data - almost 100fps more velocity with 8 grains less powder...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
There have been several tests showing 200-220 gr 30-06 and 300 mag both outperformed 35 Whelen on the big stuff. It actually outperformed everything smaller than 375 mag, including 338 mag. Pretty obvious which works better with lighter bullets at longer range on smaller game. According to my recoil calculations a 300mag/200 @2900 fps also has slightly less recoil than a 35 Whelen/250 @2550 fps.

Someone posted results of testing done by Finn Aagard a while back but I cannot find them. This is a similiar test done by the Alaska Game Dept on their recommendations for large bear protection. In a nutshell they say 375 outperforms everything else, but 30-06 with heavy bullets is their 2nd choice. First choice if recoil is just too much with the 375. The 300 mag equaled, but did not beat 30-06 at close range. The extra speed is good for longer range, not close range punch apparently.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

the Alaska Game Department is highly flawed because the authors were mathematical idiots. And maybe just idiots.

1. The authors got the formula for an ellipse wrong, resulting in a calculated expansion that was 4x greater than it should be, and erroneously skewed the results in favor of expanding bullets regardless of their initial or final diameters.

2. The authors don’t seem know the difference between “retained bullet weight” and “percent retained bullet weight”, or between “bullet expansion” and “percent bullet expansion”.

Using the author’s methodology, the .224” bullet would score 100 in both retained weight and expansion, while the .458” bullet would score 64 and 90 respectively. These interim scores are then multiplied together (along with those for striking energy and penetration, which we will ignore for now) to achieve a final score. Hence the .224” bullet scores 10,000 while the .458” bullet scores 5,760, or a little over half what the .224” bullet scores in these categories. The author’s methodology resulted in silly stuff like a 7x57 Mauser with a 175 grain bullet with a retained weight of 91g outscoring a 12 gauge 438g slug with a retained weight of 420g, even though the slug out-penetrated the 7mm bullet.

It seems to me that it would make much more sense to compare retained weight in grains, not percent, and bullet expansion in inches instead of percent, and base the scores accordingly. In this manner, the .224 scores 55 and .448, which combine to form a score of 25.19, while the .458” bullet scores 364 and .75, for a combined score of 273. I think most of us would agree the .45-70 is more likely to be 10 times more effective than a .22-250 for the purposes cited, rather than half as effective, so this methodology at least passes the laugh test.

I redid the report's table of cartridges using the correct formula for an ellipse and added a column where the measured parameters were ADDed rather than multiplied, but included the multiplied results for comparison with the original report and the ADDed column of results. Contrary to the Alaska Game report, 16 of the top 18 results involved a .458" bullet. A .375" bullet came in at numbers 11 and 18.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

the Alaska Game Department is highly flawed because the authors were mathematical idiots.

You win today’s internet!
If only we could get them to manage mosquitoes ...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
I'd take a 300nwin mag over a 35 whelen every day of the week and then some.

Them’s my cinnaments xactly. grin

I made a 35 W before Rem adopted it.

I had and HAVE a 300 WM now. For ‘my use’ I’ll take the 300 also.

Now, not to besmirch the good Col., I don’t need the heavy (250 gr) bullets
and a 200 or 220 gr 30 cals have higher BC & SD than the corresponding
35 cals.
* some guys don’t know or lose sight of that *

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by BWalker
I'd take a 300nwin mag over a 35 whelen every day of the week and then some.

Them’s my cinnaments xactly. grin

I made a 35 W before Rem adopted it.

I had and HAVE a 300 WM now. For ‘my use’ I’ll take the 300 also.

Now, not to besmirch the good Col., I don’t need the heavy (250 gr) bullets
and a 200 or 220 gr 30 cals have higher BC & SD than the corresponding
35 cals.
* some guys don’t know or lose sight of that *

Jerry

To be fair, the Good Col. had the cartridge named after him. It was not his baby.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by JMR40
There have been several tests showing 200-220 gr 30-06 and 300 mag both outperformed 35 Whelen on the big stuff. It actually outperformed everything smaller than 375 mag, including 338 mag. Pretty obvious which works better with lighter bullets at longer range on smaller game. According to my recoil calculations a 300mag/200 @2900 fps also has slightly less recoil than a 35 Whelen/250 @2550 fps.

Someone posted results of testing done by Finn Aagard a while back but I cannot find them. This is a similiar test done by the Alaska Game Dept on their recommendations for large bear protection. In a nutshell they say 375 outperforms everything else, but 30-06 with heavy bullets is their 2nd choice. First choice if recoil is just too much with the 375. The 300 mag equaled, but did not beat 30-06 at close range. The extra speed is good for longer range, not close range punch apparently.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

the Alaska Game Department is highly flawed because the authors were mathematical idiots. And maybe just idiots.

1. The authors got the formula for an ellipse wrong, resulting in a calculated expansion that was 4x greater than it should be, and erroneously skewed the results in favor of expanding bullets regardless of their initial or final diameters.

2. The authors don’t seem know the difference between “retained bullet weight” and “percent retained bullet weight”, or between “bullet expansion” and “percent bullet expansion”.

Using the author’s methodology, the .224” bullet would score 100 in both retained weight and expansion, while the .458” bullet would score 64 and 90 respectively. These interim scores are then multiplied together (along with those for striking energy and penetration, which we will ignore for now) to achieve a final score. Hence the .224” bullet scores 10,000 while the .458” bullet scores 5,760, or a little over half what the .224” bullet scores in these categories. The author’s methodology resulted in silly stuff like a 7x57 Mauser with a 175 grain bullet with a retained weight of 91g outscoring a 12 gauge 438g slug with a retained weight of 420g, even though the slug out-penetrated the 7mm bullet.

It seems to me that it would make much more sense to compare retained weight in grains, not percent, and bullet expansion in inches instead of percent, and base the scores accordingly. In this manner, the .224 scores 55 and .448, which combine to form a score of 25.19, while the .458” bullet scores 364 and .75, for a combined score of 273. I think most of us would agree the .45-70 is more likely to be 10 times more effective than a .22-250 for the purposes cited, rather than half as effective, so this methodology at least passes the laugh test.

I redid the report's table of cartridges using the correct formula for an ellipse and added a column where the measured parameters were ADDed rather than multiplied, but included the multiplied results for comparison with the original report and the ADDed column of results. Contrary to the Alaska Game report, 16 of the top 18 results involved a .458" bullet. A .375" bullet came in at numbers 11 and 18.

How does that work in the Taylor Knock-Down Formula?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5shot

Trystan

Show me.

Larger calibers are efficient, but the rub is picking a decent bullet and then pushing it at greater speeds. Physics says there are limits on what you can do...

I have used a number of Whelens over a very long time... starting in the '60s. I currently own two 35WAI rifles. I have shot a bunch of stuff with one of them over the past 40 years. I have used most 30 magnum cartridges at one time or another and a couple rifles I have used a lot. I went through the Partition phase, the Hornady Phase, even had a Sierra Phase with 30Magnums. Then I found Jesus holding up a box of Barnes... The Whelen ain't close...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Trystan

Show me.

Larger calibers are efficient, but the rub is picking a decent bullet and then pushing it at greater speeds. Physics says there are limits on what you can do...

I have used a number of Whelens over a very long time... starting in the '60s. I currently own two 35WAI rifles. I have shot a bunch of stuff with one of them over the past 40 years. I have used most 30 magnum cartridges at one time or another and a couple rifles I have used a lot. I went through the Partition phase, the Hornady Phase, even had a Sierra Phase with 30Magnums. Then I found Jesus holding up a box of Barnes... The Whelen ain't close...

I guess it depends on your usage, but I would still have no problem using a 35 Whelen for anything in AK. When it comes to the big nasty stuff, I'd go ahead and take my 35 WAI with a 310 Woodleigh. 4' of penetration in water and 98% weight retention should do just fine. It also has an SD well beyond that of a .308 220 grain pill.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Of course, I also have a 300 Mag (Weatherby), so I can make use of whatever advantage the 30 cal projectiles have if I wanted to. I guess that is why there is more than one cartridge available.

Last edited by 5shot; 08/24/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Trystan

Show me.

I guess it depends on your usage, but I would still have no problem using a 35 Whelen for anything in AK. When it comes to the big nasty stuff, I'd go ahead and take my 35 WAI with a 310 Woodleigh. 4' of penetration in water and 98% weight retention should do just fine. It also has an SD well beyond that of a .308 220 grain pill.

Of course, I also have a 300 Mag (Weatherby), so I can make use of whatever advantage the 30 cal projectiles have if I wanted to. I guess that is why there is more than one cartridge available.

I'm curious how fast you are able to push those 310's, and what powder you are using. I shoot a 315-320 gr cast bullet in a standard Whelen at about 1950 with a sedate load of 42 grains of R-15. I'm sure I could kill anything on the planet with that at will, but I could push it faster.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am using RL15 for those 310's as well. I was only pushing them 2250-2300fps. The slug was found in the 8th milk jug, having cracked the back - I measured it at 4' to the back of that jug.

I also shoot the NOE Thumper in my Whelens. I use WC852 or WC 852f surplus and worked my way up to 55 grains of WC852f. I water dropped them and used 2500+ lube.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am using RL15 for those 310's as well. I was only pushing them 2250-2300fps. The slug was found in the 8th milk jug, having cracked the back - I measured it at 4' to the back of that jug.

I also shoot the NOE Thumper in my Whelens. I use WC852 or WC 852f surplus and worked my way up to 55 grains of WC852f. I water dropped them and used 2500+ lube.

Wow, that's screaming! I've only cast one batch of a few hundred, and cast them hard enough for about 2200 mv according to my calculations and experience. I didn't see the need to push them harder than 1950 because the 42 grains shot so well, but I'll throw more R-15 in cases and see what happens. I use a version of homemade lube formula that Glen Fryxell came up using moly grease, beeswax, and carnauba wax. It works very well for high-pressure/high-velocity loads.

Thanks for the info!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Trystan

Show me.

That'a whole lot of bullet!

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is! Obviously not needed for most stuff, but if you need 300+ grains, it should actually penetrate better than a 375 H&H.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.