J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep love em. Very nice pieces...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have the axe and hammer bug myself. I inherited several blacksmith made axe heads and adzes. I since have brought home a few of my own. I just put a new handle on a gandy dancer, railroad spike maul. It is a crazy thing to get hooked on, but I can't pass up a deal.

Last edited by reivertom; 08/24/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought this Gransfor Bruks American Felling Axe to keep in my hunting rig a few weeks back. Made in Sweden these are suppose to be good ones.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Google “electrolytic rust removal” to remove just the rust and not sound material.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by win7stw
I lost both of my grandmas last winter. When my parents were cleaning out there sheds they found these hatchets and axes.
So after hours of watching you tube I rehung the boys axe. It’s an old Plumb with I think the original handle. I wire wheeled the head and left it kind of a rust blue. I then sanded the handle down and after hours of fitting the head I called it quits. I Burnt the handle and put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on the handle. Know I need to master the art of sharpening an axe. It’s been fun and can’t wait to do the next three.

I have heard of burning the handles on tools before coating them with linseed oil, but I never understood why the burning. Please explain. Thanks!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Son took some Orange hand cleaner, and took a LOT of rust off some of my tools - hand cleaner, and a rag, a little elbow grease.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I have heard of burning the handles on tools before coating them with linseed oil, but I never understood why the burning. Please explain. Thanks!"

It's what the younger crowd does to the axe handles to make them look like they are actually used.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Google “electrolytic rust removal” to remove just the rust and not sound material.

The beginning and the end of easy rust removal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a mother in law that was a real battle axe. Sharp tongued.

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by NVhntr
"I have heard of burning the handles on tools before coating them with linseed oil, but I never understood why the burning. Please explain. Thanks!"

It's what the younger crowd does to the axe handles to make them look like they are actually used.

I like the way it looks. A guy was selling some hatchets on the classifieds here that’s were I got the idea. These will be used when they are done

IC B3

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender

In the process of making a tank. Scored some Griswold and Wagner ware cast iron pans that need to be stripped and seasoned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread topic.

Keep the pics coming.

BC30cal,

I know you mentioned roofing hatchet, what’s the bottle opener hatchets for?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Tormek wet sharpener, and it is pretty easy to get an exact edge on a axe or knife. I have the smaller T4 unit and for me it was the right size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fEvE6FHYr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESW3wy0PI18

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Great thread topic.

Keep the pics coming.

BC30cal,

I know you mentioned roofing hatchet, what’s the bottle opener hatchets for?

BigDave39355;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's as nice and cool in your part of the world as it is here just across the medicine line and all other vagaries of life are aligned more or less as they should be.

The "bottle opener" or "gut hook" on the tomahawks varies widely/wildly on my creations sir. The 3 in the middle are reworked roofing hatchets, the right one a relatively rare Mann Hunter's Pride and the left one a Swedish Frost hatchet that I am trying a longer handle on to see how it works.

[Linked Image]

Honestly I did one with a wee bit of a protrusion on it for a customer and then his buddy saw it and asked if I could make it bigger on his......

When I was younger I fooled a tad with grinding knives and as mentioned have a bench belt grinder in my mind that should work, just need to fabricobble it up and see how far off correct those plans are.

Anyways no two ended up alike as I'd see in my head what I wanted it to look like and feel like and then grind until I got there.

Admittedly with tomahawk heads it takes a bit more imagination as to how it's going to feel in the hand as adding the handle can change the balance much more than adding say scales on a full tang knife, you know?

The top one in the last photo is my newest one actually as I gave my usual truck tomahawk to our youngest daughter's partner this summer since he didn't have one and they were taking up backpack camping.

It might work okay with a ferro rod? That just occurred to me and I'll have to try that now! wink laugh

Thanks for the question sir and for allowing me to do some thinking on it this morning.

All the best to you all and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/25/20. Reason: added info?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I lost both of my grandmas last winter. When my parents were cleaning out there sheds they found these hatchets and axes.
So after hours of watching you tube I rehung the boys axe. It’s an old Plumb with I think the original handle. I wire wheeled the head and left it kind of a rust blue. I then sanded the handle down and after hours of fitting the head I called it quits. I Burnt the handle and put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on the handle. Know I need to master the art of sharpening an axe. It’s been fun and can’t wait to do the next three.

the 2 small ones on the left I bet are Plumb axes. I have the same Plumb axe heads but with fiberglass handles

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
It's nice to see old, neglected tools restored to their former glory.
It flies in the face of today's attitude of "throw it away and buy a new one."

Last edited by JeffyD; 08/25/20.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Morewood
I had a mother in law that was a real battle axe. Sharp tongued.

So did I and she was too strong with undue influence on my wife, so now I am divorced and they can tell someone else what the f**k to do. I retired also and don't have anyone to tell me what the f**k they want done. Soon as I get done siding my house I'll be hunting , fishing, and swing the dbl bit axe again. Lifes great if you don't let others f**k it up for you. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Henryseale

I have heard of burning the handles on tools before coating them with linseed oil, but I never understood why the burning. Please explain. Thanks!

A flame spreader on a propane torch helps to remove the whiskers on the haft making it smooth prior to BLO.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
The two small hatchets are True temper

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
“fabricobble”

Good one!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.