-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed a good number of deer and hogs with 270 hornady SST bullets, they have worked well for me but I can't remember many of them exiting. They seem pretty explosive to me. The 150 partition is a good all around bullet in the 270, I've used it a lot and it does kill deer a little quicker than a tsx in my opinion.

The tsx is a fine big critter bullet in the 270, I've used 130s from Barnes on deer, elk and hogs. It seems like they kill quicker on tough targets like bull elk or really big hogs.

I would not choose the sst for elk as I think there are better bullets for tough critters. If I were going to use a polymer tip bullet on elk it would be a bonded bullet. I have used a Swift Scirocco on a nice Utah 6x6 with good results. This fall I may give the 140 accubond a try for elk in Montana, it has worked great for me on big northern deer and held together and exited after hitting bone at close range.

Save the SST bullets for the deer, they will work well if you do your part based on my experience.

Holy Smokes, I think my post is in complete agreemeny with Lee24, will wonders never cease?

Britt

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have used the 270 for years and tried most of the bullets out there until I used the Nosler..It all ended there.My favorite 270 bullet, but I must say,lately I have been extremely impressed with the 140 grain Trophy Bonded out of the 270.It is every bit as good and has the immediate effects I like to see plus very good penetration.

I wouldn't use a cheap bullet or poorly constructed for Elk hunting again..I payed my dues with k-Mart specials and learned my lessons on stubborn tough Elk many moons ago. grin

Good luck on your hunt.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Inside 200 yards, try the Remington CoreLokt 150-gr, SP and RN.
The advantage of the SST and other such bullets is retained velocity and energy beyond 300 yards, but you if you think you are going to be shooting elk at 300 yards...
1. Why so far?
2. Why not use a bigger caliber and heavier bullet?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Lee24
Inside 200 yards, try the Remington CoreLokt 150-gr, SP and RN.
The advantage of the SST and other such bullets is retained velocity and energy beyond 300 yards, but you if you think you are going to be shooting elk at 300 yards...
1. Why so far?
2. Why not use a bigger caliber and heavier bullet?

1.) Lee I seriously hope and expect to close the distance to less than 200 yards. Just would not surprise me if the lay of the land in the unit I drew a tag (late season) for may prove difficult to close the distance to less than 200 yards.

2.) I have kicked a bigger gun around. As much as I want another rifle.I just do not recognize the need for another big gun at this point. I am of a mind that shot placement is the most critical factor bullet design construction a close second in order of priority. Familiarity with the 270 gives me the confidence to accomplish job number one.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do have a bone to pick with hornady but I do think that a select few of their bullets are good for what they are designed to do. I do also feel that their is something to be said for cheap bullets. I would not ever shoot a elk or anything else in that class with a hornady product. I will shoot varmints with em. So yes I don't like hornady products but I do shoot a few select. Mainly the .17 centers. But shoot what you want and see for yourself. I have had nothing but bad experieces with the SST. Shoot a premium bullet and get your elk. HAPPY HUNTING
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Thanks for the varied opinions and shared experience. Looks like I may save the SST for varmint shooting. Sorry to see that Ruger has an over all bone to pick w Hornady wink As they do offer some outstanding bullets for the right application. Presently I am of a mind to stick with the TSX as my first option. I also may give the Nosler Partition a try to see how my rifle will shoot with this bullet.

Suppose I have a attraction to the higher BC projectiles as they do a better job of retaining energy for our open country. With the open country there should be no worries when the shot has been placed right, (double lung) if the game runs 150 or 300 yards prior to expiring. That being said I am well aware that in the heat of the hunt shot placement may be less than ideal, on occasion.
As a archery hunter I have become quite accustomed to tracking my game for a moderate distance. Although experience has allowed me to improve my shot placement. Last few years I have taken 7 archery deer and only one of the seven covered over a hundred yards before expiring. So I am thinking the Barnes may be a good option for me providing good penetration w a good blood trail. Best of all the Barnes will likely ruin very little meat.

I am still confidant that w proper shot placement the Hornady SST would put a Elk down faster than the TSX. Like stated above Ill have to concede that one needs to prepare for the reality of less than Ideal shot placement, however rare the less than Ideal shot may occur. Should be obvious, by now that I am not a big believer in overkill.

Thanks again for sharing!

Hunterapp

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My favorite bullet for elk with a .270 was the 160 gr. Nosler partition..A bull elk is a big strong animal and you need penetration. Today I use the .338 with 210 Noslers for open country elk or the 300 gr. Woodleigh for timber elk, and the more I use the 300 the less I like the 210, even for open country as I won't normally shoot at elk beyound 300 yards.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=ruger243223]I do have a bone to pick with hornady but I do think that a select few of their bullets are good for what they are designed to do. I do also feel that their is something to be said for cheap bullets. I would not ever shoot a elk or anything else in that class with a hornady product. I will shoot varmints with em. So yes I don't like hornady products but I do shoot a few select. Mainly the .17 centers. But shoot what you want and see for yourself. I have had nothing but bad experieces with the SST. Shoot a premium bullet and get your elk. HAPPY HUNTING [quote]

Thank you for the good wishes and the sound advice. Prior to this post I had not understood how extreme the expansion characteristics of the SST bullets are. Ill likely be shooting the NP or the TSX for elk.
Suppose my favorite Hornady bullets would have to be their varmint V-max pills in 17 cal. 25 grain, 20 cal. 32 grain & .224 in 40 & 50 grain.

I appreciate the advice provided by all. I have picked up a lot from this forum and this thread especially.

Thank You for getting me on the right path, everyone!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 07/02/07.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

With the open country there should be no worries when the shot has been placed right, (double lung) if the game runs 150 or 300 yards prior to expiring. So I am thinking the Barnes may be a good option for me providing good penetration w a good blood trail. Best of all the Barnes will likely ruin very little meat.

Like stated above I'll have to concede that one needs to prepare for the reality of less than Ideal shot placement, however rare the less than Ideal shot may occur.

I did some editing for brevity...

I don't know what species of elk you are planning on hunting buuuuut..... I'd say that you need to be VERY prepared to take a less-than-ideal shot. I'm not saying bang away, I'm just saying that you are unlikely to get an elk, standing broadside, not moving... usually it's going to be a quartering shot of some kind, best case.

I think the TSX or Partition are your best bets from your .270. Forget the SST. And an elk going 300 yards can be a huge problem because they will go 300 yards straight DOWN if they can!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 to that. I can tell you that a perfect shot on an elk is unlikely but if it happens great. I wouldn't be afraid of the 130gr TSX or the partition in 150. My choice would be the TSX as I have had nothing but great success with this bullet. I shoot em out of my wsm and they shoot under .3 so very accurate. And if a less than desirable shot is there you will definately get the penetration needed. HAPPY HUNTING

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have only used SSTs on two animals, one pretty large boar, and one youngster. Both were 165s from a .308. I found the SSTs to be extremely fragile, and would be one of the last bullets I would try on Elk. On the larger boar, there was no exit, and on the dink, the exit wound was nearly softball sized, indicating pretty significant fragmentation. There's bound to be lots of better choices out there for Elk.

I have only killed one Elk, and it was only a Spike. Shot it with a 140gr Hornady Interlock from a .270. Got complete penetration with a silver-dollar sized exit wound, and the Elk was DRT. BUT, I had hit no major bones, it was a broadside shot, and a spike elk is not that big an animal. I have killed a bunch of deer with this same bullet, and they definitely hold together better than the SSTs I tried. However, in hind sight, on my next Elk hunt, since I don't have a bunch of personal experience with Elk, I would defer to those that do, like Mule Deer, and use one of his recommendations. I would look toward a TSX, a Partition, or may be an Accubond.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd go with a tough bullet with that spitfire 270.

Barnes TSX is a good way to go.

Spot

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by atkinson
Today I use the .338 with 210 Noslers for open country elk or the 300 gr. Woodleigh for timber elk, and the more I use the 300 the less I like the 210, even for open country as I won't normally shoot at elk beyound 300 yards.

Hey Ray, what kind of terminal performance have you seen with the Woodleigh?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like the SST and have used it in .270 on mulies. But it would be one of worst choices for elk. The barnes tsx you mentioned would be much better. An already running, adrenaline charged deer is not the best test for bang-flop results with ANY bullet.

Bill

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bill,

We need to go mulie hunting together next year...
I'm taking my buddies this year but I'm not sure they're up for hard-core hunting like I am and expect...grin...

I'll scout this year and next year I'll know some spots....

Oh, the SST is a great varmint bullet like the others have posted...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tx270
An already running, adrenaline charged deer is not the best test for bang-flop results with ANY bullet.

Bill

Agreed, still hope one can see how this as an only experience w this bullet could shake ones confidence a little.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I understand.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think if you expect every deer you shoot to pile up right there you better just take CNS shots. I have seen deer hit with 257 wby thru 458 win run a bit. all very dead, but a bit of adrenaline can go a long ways. Last year my pard and I killed 2 elk a good ways off with a tsx and got 2 bang flop results. the elk were feeding on a ride and had no Idea what was going on. I neck shot mine and my pard ran out of shells in his gun and I tossed him mine.... he pulls off a lung hit and flop goes #2.

I have no expierience with the hornady you mention, but I do have a bunch of critters killed w/ a 270 and a bunch killed w/a tsx. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with a 270 spittin' tsx's. I also think for a cow hunt you are going to be lucky if you pop one over 500lbs. That really is not toooo big of a critter.

good luck.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeez! Your pard's elk didn't get an adrenaline rush from all the lead flying around?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by high_country_
I think if you expect every deer you shoot to pile up right there you better just take CNS shots. good luck.

No I have just experienced different results with a lighter 6mm bullet of a different design, in the past. Was evident that with the clean pass through on the initial shot referred to in first post in this thread, that a lot of the 270 projectile's energy was transferred into the hill behind the deer.

I recognize the benefit of this scenario if I were shooting a larger critter like an elk. Good to hear of the good reports on the TSX by you and others. As this Barnes bullet will most likely be by choice for this first elk hunt for me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
FWIW, here's a summary of an email exchange I had with the Hornady folks just this past Spring, regarding much the same issue:

Subject: Just Curious...

Why don't you offer the 180 grain Interbond in your .30-'06 Factory Loaded Ammo, when you offer the SST in that weight?

My rifle loves the 165 Interbonds, & I'd like to try the 180's, but I'm not a hand loader.

Just Curious,

Joe K.

Well it seems we didn't think of it! Sounds kind of stupid but you know you get busy and overlook the obvious. There really won't be an advantage since the 30-06 can't drive a 180 grain bullet fast enough that you really need the bonding technology, but you aren't the first who's asked so we will probably have it ready for next year.

Interesting... So, does that mean that the 180 grain SST Interlocks will hold together well enough to crunch bones on an elk without disintegrating?

Whodathunkit???

Thanks for the reply!

Joe K.

In my opinion yes, at least that's what we've used on elk and Kudu. Most of the time you wouldn't generally shoot for the shoulder bone on an elk, or anything else for that matter, but if you have to break it down I wouldn't hesitate.

I've gotten some incredible groups out of the 180 SST's in Hornady's factory ammo., so I guess it comes down to how much I trust them on this. The 165's group well, but a little more SD sounds like a good thing to me, for elk, anyway.

Let us know what you settle on,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.