Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just scored a Douglas Barrel on the classifieds here in .338. It’s a XX Air gauged barrel Magnum contour. And I also have a nice Charles Daly 98 Action laying around to put the barrel on. So as of now I am at less than $450 for the New barrel and the as new action. But I am running into problems finding a stock I think I would like. Just wondering if you had any recommendations that won’t break the bank or should I just bed the Charles Daly fiberglass stock that came with the action?

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Use the stock that came with the action.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That’s kinda what I’m leaning towards and removing the recoil pad and filling in with a light weight expanding foam. The hollow sound drives me nuts!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Pictures when you're finished with the rifle please.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bell and carlson makes nice fiberglass ones. Boyd’s also makes several for the Mauser in different laminates as well as walnut and maple.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Full3r
Bell and carlson makes nice fiberglass ones. Boyd’s also makes several for the Mauser in different laminates as well as walnut and maple.

Mine was done on the Bell and Carlson, with same barrel and a FN action. The b and c stock has a really nice large butt size which helps tame the recoil. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Full3r

Mine was done on the Bell and Carlson, with same barrel and a FN action. The b and c stock has a really nice large butt size which helps tame the recoil. MB

I bought this one here on the Classifieds. We weren't sure what stock it was. Seller thought maybe a McM. My smith thinks it's an early B&C, and I tend to agree. It doesn't have the aluminum chassis of the Medalist, but is pillar bedded.

I re-did the bedding, painted it. It's a shooter. Barrel looks perfect thru the Hawkeye.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rangemasterx
That’s kinda what I’m leaning towards and removing the recoil pad and filling in with a light weight expanding foam. The hollow sound drives me nuts!

Stuff a rag in there, replace the pad. Try it and see how much sound it absorbs. That's for sure a lot easier...

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
OR

Just ignore the sound!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just use the original stock for now, you can always change later.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[quote=Full3r]Bell and carlson makes nice fiberglass ones. Boyd’s also makes several for the Mauser in different laminates as well as walnut and maple.

I bought this one here on the Classifieds. We weren't sure what stock it was. Seller thought maybe a McM. My smith thinks it's an early B&C, and I tend to agree. It doesn't have the aluminum chassis of the Medalist, but is pillar bedded.

I re-did the bedding, painted it. It's a shooter. Barrel looks perfect thru the Hawkeye.

DF

Have I mentioned how happy I am that you bought that rifle.
cool

My discipline was slowly diminshing.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You did well on that rifle, DF. I remember it.
With a 338-06 and a 35 Whelen on pre-64 Model 70s, I would have pushed my limit.
But it would have been fun to develop cartridge loads with.....

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
With a 338-06 and a 35 Whelen on pre-64 Model 70s, I would have pushed my limit.

Thanks, it did turn out pretty nice. Sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn...

Now, when I get my Pre-64 .243 Fwt back from JES, bored to .358 Winchester, I'll have a pair of thumpers.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15180553/1

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
Just use the original stock for now, you can always change later.

[quote=Full3r]Bell and carlson makes nice fiberglass ones. Boyd’s also makes several for the Mauser in different laminates as well as walnut and maple.

DF

Have I mentioned how happy I am that you bought that rifle.
cool

My discipline was slowly diminshing.

laugh

I understand the Loony condition all too well... cool

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks, it did turn out pretty nice. Sometimes even a blind hog finds an acorn...

Now, when I get my Pre-64 .243 Fwt back from JES, bored to .358 Winchester, I'll have a pair of thumpers.

DF

Hey DF, my buddy has been trying to get a 30/06 to JES for weeks but the guy won't return a call. He asked me to try for him and I got the same results. He's going to a 338-06 if he'll ever get an address to send the damn rifle to.

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

DF

Hey DF, my buddy has been trying to get a 30/06 to JES for weeks but the guy won't return a call. He asked me to try for him and I got the same results. He's going to a 338-06 if he'll ever get an address to send the damn rifle to.

I usually just send the rifle with a note in the box of what I want done with my return info and a number if he has a question. Done 4 of them that way since he is a bit tough to get ahold of sometimes. Send him twist, a cartridge with a bullet seated if you want something specific, etc and let er rip!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah. He’s busy, doesn’t take time with emails. When I left a message, he did call me back.

Agree with sending barreled action with check and instructions. He’ll get it done. And pretty quick.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
His address:

J E S Reboring

715 South 6th Street

Cottage Grove OR, 97424

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's what I needed, thank you!

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is interesting that most of the really good re-chambering and re-rifling was done
in the Northwest. Cliff Labounty, Randall Redmond, in OR. And Richard Nickle in WA.
My 338-06 pre-64 M-70 was done in Eatonville, WA. by Nickle. The other early Model 70
in 35 Whelen came from Boise, ID. All cut rifling and quality work.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used a McMillan Edge stock on my M70 .338-06 and a PacNor #3 contour barrel and the darn thing still weighs 8.5lbs all up. I'd be careful what stock you use, M98 action and Mag Contour barrel is going to be pretty heavy to start with. If your dreaming of high country elk it might come out a little heavier than you want to pack around all day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.