Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The older I get the less blast I want.
The less rifle weight I want.

Think something mild mannered more my thing.
Maybe a .250 Savage

GB1

I
I
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by Idahoboy

For me, it's the .308. it's just so easy and cheap to load, and it's plenty accurate. I gave up on the .270 as it seemed to recoil more and wasn't as accurate as the .308.

Thats it. When you read it you just know. The cure for looneyism is now available.

What's the cure? So far just buying more rifles is not really helping ...

The hunter does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, he kills in order to have hunted. --- Jose Ortega y Gasset, in "Meditations on Hunting", 1942.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by hanco
The best deer cartridge

Whatever is in your hands when you see the BEST buck you've ever seen.

Tis true.
The actual killing of szhit is remarkably mundane – finding the right szhit, and/or having said right-szchit walk in front of us is far more arduous.

Nerd. laugh

laugh laugh

I was just speaking with another member about this very topic and was reminded of my yute.

My dad hosted several friends and relatives to deer hunt every year. As I was finally grew old enough to join the ranks and being quite impressionable (and beyond doubt they knew their stuff) I allowed them to fill my head with "bests" in equipment and hunting tactics.

So after each season I'd pester the szhcit out of my father; "dad, I wanna get a 300mag - Frank said it's the best"...."dad, Lee said the 300 Savage kills faster than anything - I need a 300 Savage"......etc., etc.

Finally, after pops finally grew weary of my act, this man-of-few-words asked "son, when is the last time Frank or Lee filled their buck tags?"..................."Hone the craft of understanding deer, son - the killing is just a formality for the prepared mind".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything but the 6.5 Freakmoor.......

Just kidding I have one of them too.

I like the 270 Winchester. That said whatever feels good in your hands.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the last 10 years i would bet more deer are shot with a 223 Remington with a suppressor on the barrel ,reason i believe this is because most cities and towns hire professional deer exterminators that shoot and kill a bunch a deer in every city and town and probably some other animals too all at night while we are sleeping. don`t fool yourself i know it is happening all over America some are some very big bucks too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
in the last 10 years i would bet more deer are shot with a 223 Remington with a suppressor on the barrel ,reason i believe this is because most cities and towns hire professional deer exterminators that shoot and kill a bunch a deer in every city and town and probably some other animals too all at night while we are sleeping. don`t fool yourself i know it is happening all over America some are some very big bucks too.

Thanks Pete.

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by StrayDog

For me, it's the .308. it's just so easy and cheap to load, and it's plenty accurate. I gave up on the .270 as it seemed to recoil more and wasn't as accurate as the .308.

Thats it. When you read it you just know. The cure for looneyism is now available.

What's the cure? So far just buying more rifles is not really helping ...

The cure is .308

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The .308 Winchester is the greatest rifle cartridge in the universe and therefore must be the greatest deer cartridge.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
The older I get the less blast I want.
The less rifle weight I want.

Think something mild mannered more my thing.
Maybe a .250 Savage

I feel the same way. I've only been shooting 22 caliber stuff since Winter. Last week I pulled the 375 H&H out, fired it once, and put it away. I didn't remember it being so abusive. So I got my 30-06 out and fired a five shot group. That wasn't as fun as I remember it being either.

Last edited by moosemike; 09/02/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The best deer cartridge

Tis true.
The actual killing of szhit is remarkably mundane – finding the right szhit, and/or having said right-szchit walk in front of us is far more arduous.

Nerd. laugh

laugh laugh

I was just speaking with another member about this very topic and was reminded of my yute.

My dad hosted several friends and relatives to deer hunt every year. As I was finally grew old enough to join the ranks and being quite impressionable (and beyond doubt they knew their stuff) I allowed them to fill my head with "bests" in equipment and hunting tactics.

So after each season I'd pester the szhcit out of my father; "dad, I wanna get a 300mag - Frank said it's the best"...."dad, Lee said the 300 Savage kills faster than anything - I need a 300 Savage"......etc., etc.

Finally, after pops finally grew weary of my act, this man-of-few-words asked "son, when is the last time Frank or Lee filled their buck tags?"..................."Hone the craft of understanding deer, son - the killing is just a formality for the prepared mind".

Your Pap is a wise, wise man.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53

Thanks Pete.

your so very welcome

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Easy answer:

What ever cartridge is chambers in the firearm I am carrying when I shoot the deer.

Every deer was just as dead as every other when I was done. Poor bullet don't make a cartridge "bad"---- but some men use one and then blame the shell.

I have used some cartridges that were disappointing to me because of bad bullets, but going to a better bullet made the cartridge a real gem.
Using good bullets that don't break up and do "weird things' makes most center-fires and muzzle-loaders kill deer just fine.

I don't overthink the cartridges all that much but I do pay attention to the bullets and how well they hold together after they expand. But for my handgun hunting I now use ONLY hard cast bullet that don't expand at all, and all the deer I have killed with them died very quickly and NONE went far after the shots. for 357s 44s and 45s I use LBT or Keith styles, cast hard, and I have never had a single bad experience with any of them.

I shot one mid sized buck with a light bullet from my 7MM Weatherby and had it run about 150 yards and I has a had time finding it. Took me about 1 hour. No exit wound. But with bullets of 150 grain and 175 grains it was electric death on deer.

On the other hand I have killed 7 deer with cast 357 magnum bullets from 6" barreled revolvers now and all of them dropped inside of about 20 yards and the blood trails were very good. All one shot kills too. I killed another 7 with 45 ACPs from both autos and revolvers and again all were clean kills with none of them going over about 309 yards after the shot and with 4 dropping inside about 8 feet. All but one of them was a 1 shot kill and that one exception was a 2 shot kill.

No one is going to say a 357 Revolver or 45 auto is more powerful then a 7MM Weatherby. But the power is not the most important thing.

Bullets are what I pay attention to --far more then cartridges. Bullets are simply tools to make bullet holes. It's the hole that does the killing. I want them to expand and still go clear through and go through fairly straight. If I can have those 2 qualities in a bullet I don't think the brass shell makes a lot of difference.

Last edited by szihn; 09/02/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best deer cartridge

Tis true.

Nerd. laugh

laugh laugh

Your dad sure knew the deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed whitetails with a number of different cartridges, and without a doubt, have seen more DRT kills with a 270 than anything else. I have not used a 270 in a good many years, and today use a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 243. But, if for some reason I had to get serious about killing a deer, I'd prefer to use the 270.

R
R
Anybody fancy .308Win?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best deer cartridge

Tis true.

Nerd. laugh

laugh laugh

Great advice! My pard's rifle would be very much scoffed at here, but his tally and quality of cirtters would not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
My pard's rifle would be very much scoffed at here, but his tally and quality of cirtters would not.

I have a few friends like that as well.

Heck, I'd bet on scenarshooter with a cue ball in a sock over a lot of guys with their "best" cartridge. smile

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.250 Savage

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The one in my hands

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
R
I’ll stick with my 250 Savage.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.