Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
It looks to me like No 4 might have been wanting to come together. I had something similar happen with one of my rifles, and a little more coal on the fire tightened it up nicely. Granted, that was with a 175-gr RN, but the initial pattern was similar. I'm curious to see how this is resolved for you. I've seen this very same pattern several times before.

I wanted to use some 175gr RNs I have one hand but with the match reamer, the throat is too short to fit them w/o intruding way down into the case.

Church is in the afternoon this week because of the covid, so a bit short on time this morning. Will try a couple strings with the same #4 load but with the seating depth adjusted. I started 0.020" off the lands and will go another 15 and another 15.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning at the range. A few things went right for a change.

It would appear that seating depth is the problem. Original load was 0.020" off, Top load from today was 0.035" and the bottom load 0.050".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

......... and then I pulled out my Super 30. smile

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The 308 is working well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The 308 is working well.

if you got a 308 that shoots like that why the need for a 7x57? I always see problems with the 57 cause they cant seem to agree on the chamber cut long action short action. military chambers long necks etc. if you really wanted a 7 you shoulda went with a 7mm 08

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
if you got a 308 that shoots like that why the need for a 7x57? I always see problems with the 57 cause they cant seem to agree on the chamber cut long action short action. military chambers long necks etc. if you really wanted a 7 you shoulda went with a 7mm 08

I do have other rifles that will work fine or better for this moose hunt, but want to take this 275 for this NFLD moose hunt. It will be a once in a life time hunt (pre-retirement), so I want to take the nicest rifle I own.

The 275Rigby is on an FN-98 action in a classic style rifle. It is a perfect fit to this action. A 7-08 was not even considered for this project.

Again, the reamer was a new 7x57 match reamer and thus the throat was much shorter than the std 7x57 throat.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[

I do have other rifles that will work fine or better for this moose hunt, but want to take this 275 for this NFLD moose hunt. It will be a once in a life time hunt (pre-retirement), so I want to take the nicest rifle I own.

The 275Rigby is on an FN-98 action in a classic style rifle. It is a perfect fit to this action. A 7-08 was not even considered for this project.

Again, the reamer was a new 7x57 match reamer and thus the throat was much shorter than the std 7x57 throat.

I know there is a lot of romanticism behind the 57 and a mauser. proof of that you used 275 rigby lol. to me there is to much confusion with the chambers and even though you supposedly did it right it still is not up to par. I have never saw a 7mm-08 not shoot just like your 308 but it seems you did not want it. I always like a long action for a short action round. it gives me a lot of play with heavy bullets

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
to me there is to much confusion with the chambers and even though you supposedly did it right it still is not up to par.

That bottom load measures 1.25". If it's repeatable, it is very much up to par for a moose hunt and I will use it with confidence. Not sure if you've ever shot one, but a moose is pretty big. If one cannot hit one with that load, they have bigger problems than what we are discussing here.

I have never saw a 7mm-08 not shoot just like your 308 but it seems you did not want it.

That load I have for that 308 is a deer load. I wouldn't use it for moose if I had other options, and I do. I have a good 160gr NP for my synthetic 280 that will go with me as well.

I always like a long action for a short action round. it gives me a lot of play with heavy bullets

There is lots of room in that 98 for longer bullets, but the throat is short so need to work with that. I have some 175gr RNs here that are too long to use.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That bottom load measures 1.25". If it's repeatable, it is very much up to par for a moose hunt and I will use it with confidence. Not sure if you've ever shot one, but a moose is pretty big. If one cannot hit one with that load, they have bigger problems than what we are discussing here.

That bottom load will work fine for anything.

I broke out my Model 70 7x57 to try some more 140s. I had similar results to your first groups. I'm going to go shorter too. On the bright side it still shot the 160 Game Kings into it's normal 3/4" groups this morning.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Confirmed that load again yesterday. Seating deeper made the difference.

I might try some different primers to see if that tightens it up further, but for now this will be fine for a moose hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the update. Of the five shots taken, which were the two outliers? I'm curious.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Thanks for the update. Of the five shots taken, which were the two outliers? I'm curious.

Went back and forth. IIRC, the flyers were #2 & 3. I tried another 5 shot load seated deeper and they were over 1.5 - 1.75".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Supercub, your rifle is still double grouping. I'm wondering if you should try a different bullet? Maybe a 150gr partition, just for chidts and giggles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Supercub, your rifle is still double grouping. I'm wondering if you should try a different bullet? Maybe a 150gr partition, just for chidts and giggles..

You're right about the double grouping and trying another bullet.

I just received this rifle not long ago and want to take it on a very short notice moose hunt on Newfoundland so have to use what components I have on hand. Everything I get here has to come by mail so my time is spent. A 150gr NP would have been my 1st choice for this moose load.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You're right about the double grouping and trying another bullet.

I just received this rifle not long ago and want to take it on a very short notice moose hunt on Newfoundland so have to use what components I have on hand. Everything I get here has to come by mail so my time is spent. A 150gr NP would have been my 1st choice for this moose load.

It is shooting well enough for your hunt. A 1 1/4" spread for 5 shots isn't bad and more than adequate accuracy for big game hunting. Maybe, like most guys suggest, the more critical shot to look at would be the first one. Make sure you are zeroed in and you'll be golden. After you get back from your hunt, I'm sure you will have plenty of time to dial that rifle in with the bullet it loves. Good luck on your hunt!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
how much time between shots? You let it cool?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 2 or 3 at a time and then pick up another rifle while it cools. Bbl is 0.600" at the muzzle so not a real lightweight.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Is the barrel free floated?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joel027
how much time between shots? You let it cool?

IF the barrel is a POS, that is a good question. Generally, a good barrel will not string shots much at all. Not even on a lightweight rifle barrel... When a rifle is double grouping like this one is, it's generally a seating depth issue.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Is the barrel free floated?

Yes ..... The rifle was built by a ACGG member.

When a rifle is double grouping like this one is, it's generally a seating depth issue.

I agree based on my results. I may play with some more when I get home. Will try primers as well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Play with the seating,primers won't make that much difference.

Same load,just different C.O.A.L.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,533
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.