Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Recently put a lightly used 3.5-10x Leupold on Brandy, the 20 year old Ruger 1-S Medium Sporter I purchased last winter. Also had some 160 grain handloads to try at the range.

Dog and I put the rifle in the Jeep and headed to the gun club for some shooting! Sighted the rifle in at 25 yards, then switched to the 300 yard gong. At 300 yards the first shot was low, so I dialed in a fair bit of elevation. Second shot looked decent for elevation, but was left, so I did some twisting on the windage knob. Then three shots into 1.5" at 300 yards from the bench.

I was pleased. The 160 Sierra Gamekings are doing 3025 fps with the 65 grain charge, and shooting very nicely. I may still swap to 160 grain Nosler Partitions, but honestly I'm quite satisfied with the load. I've used this load, or loads very similar to it a lot in the past with other 7mm Rem Mag rifles. This rifle is likely to see use in Washington and Wyoming for mule deer, pronghorn and hopefully black bear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think Brandy is ready to hunt.

Brandy got her name from what I was drinking last winter when I found her on Gun Broker and hit "Buy Now" - which I've never regretted. Essentially a brand new 20 year old rifle. Finally getting to hunt.

Guy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, enjoy and good hunting!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No flies on that and good luck out in the field!

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice, enjoy and good hunting!

Good hunting to you and ryoushi as well.

Guy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Good looking rig!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brandy is a fine girl . enjoy her

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
"It Will Keel"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle. I will have my hands on one someday. For some reason my $100 penny auction bid didn't stand last one I bid on one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very nice. I've been pretty focused on my synthetic bolt rifles this year, but did get a 1V .25-06 up and running too. Going to try 100gr SGK's with it this year. Currently shooting about 1" @ 100yds, but the factory trigger is very heavy so I am not too dissatisfied (with the groups, not the trigger). I may try swapping the trigger next spring and playing with loads a bit more.

I suspect I will also manage to pull my 1S Whelen out for at least one trip into the woods also.

After handling several #1's....A's, B's, AB's, S's and V's, I have come to the conclusion that the balance on the 1S configuration is about the best of the bunch and really makes for one of the more pleasant field rifles. I have a feeling you probably think the same about Brandy as well.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"After handling several #1's....A's, B's, AB's, S's and V's, I have come to the conclusion that the balance on the 1S configuration is about the best of the bunch and really makes for one of the more pleasant field rifles."

I concur. You should have also added that of the various Ruger #1 models the "S" model is the best looking of the bunch. I would come close to killing to find one I could afford in 7x57 Mauser. My latest rifle is an "S" in .300 Win. Mag. and so far, it has averaged .50 to .75" ai 100 yards running the .200 gr. Speer Hot Core or Nosler Partition over a top charge of the lond discontinued Winchester WMR powder.
I do have a small collection of Ruger #1's running from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"After handling several #1's....A's, B's, AB's, S's and V's, I have come to the conclusion that the balance on the 1S configuration is about the best of the bunch and really makes for one of the more pleasant field rifles."

I concur. You should have also added that of the various Ruger #1 models the "S" model is the best looking of the bunch. I would come close to killing to find one I could afford in 7x57 Mauser. My latest rifle is an "S" in .300 Win. Mag. and so far, it has averaged .50 to .75" ai 100 yards running the .200 gr. Speer Hot Core or Nosler Partition over a top charge of the lond discontinued Winchester WMR powder.
I do have a small collection of Ruger #1's running from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby.
Paul B.

I may have to disagree with you on that statement in bold. There is something about the AH models that just look sleek and a touch more elegant to me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nothing wrong with Gamekings. They tend to be quite accurate, and perfect for the game you seek.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Paul B.

I may have to disagree with you on that statement in bold. There is something about the AH models that just look sleek and a touch more elegant to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. laugh

Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
War Eagle, If you change that trigger, try a Jard. You won't be sorry. RJ

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rj308
War Eagle, If you change that trigger, try a Jard. You won't be sorry. RJ

Top of my list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handsome rifles...got the same version and caliber off GB for a donor years ago. Never did surgery!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good to see you posting again Klik. Been wondering where you've been at.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I like the S medium versions with 24” barrels. 35 Whelen here.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Handsome rifles...got the same version and caliber off GB for a donor years ago. Never did surgery!

Hey! There he is. Welcome back.

Got out with the 7mm & 375 Number One rifles again yesterday. Only at 100 yards, was practicing from standing and sitting. Standing, using the tripod. Having a tough time getting used to the tripod. Sitting worked out pretty well though.

The 7mm:

Both rifles:

Was another nice morning at the rifle range.

Guy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.