Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There seems to be a turd in every batch. A relative just told of his Bergara 6.5 Creed that shot 3.5" groups. Very disappointed. It is the first I have heard of being that bad.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
There seems to be a turd in every batch. A relative just told of his Bergara 6.5 Creed that shot 3.5" groups. Very disappointed. It is the first I have heard of being that bad.

Hmmm. Couldn't have been the cartridge. Must have been the rifle. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or the scope, the mounts, the shooter.... ta dum dee dum dee dum

Needless to say, the haters will cling to one example that "proves" their point like remoras.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Could have been the rifle, could have been the scope/mounts, could have been the shooter. But since he is intelligent and experienced I'll wait for him to tell me if he got complacent and made mistakes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dre
270 and 6.5 hate is real. We need to come up with something similar to TDS but for the 2 calibers mentioned above.

On another forum I've belonged to for many years the .270 hate is unbelievable. I can't even bring a .270 up without getting the post deleted by a mod. I've never even shot any 6.5. I don't hate them, in fact I have wanted a modern rifle chambered in 6.5x55 or maybe a 6.5x57 for awhile. I do see why the hate exists. People that don't have one and have something they love more are sick of continually hearing all the praise. One thing that's kinda stupid is some people that never shoot at anything over 200-300 yards will tell you about how the 6.5s are magical at shooting at long distance. Then tell you about how they killed a deer at 150 yards. I don't believe for a minute there's anything special about either one, the .270 or the 6.5 other than they're both a couple of great deer rifles and they seem to work well on elk with good bullets. But there's many a good deer rifle, like a .30-30 or a 7-08, or hell an 06. They're all good.

Some people get all hyped about a fancy bullet but when they use it on a game animal that it's not really ideal for, they'll blame the cartridge and sell the gun. I've had bad luck on deer with a bullet that was made for bigger animals. But I knew damn well from experience that another bullet worked great for that rifle.

Or the .270 haters will tell you it's not a good cartridge because there's not enough bullets available for it. I got news for them, there's a lot of bullets available for a .270 now days. But then it's not really known as a target rifle and most people that shoot one use three different bullet weights, 130, 140 or 150 grains.

People develop hate for many cartridges for stupid reasons.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/08/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

here`s what i think needs to be done = send this rifle to Mule Deer let him shoot this rifle then we all will know the real truth. and yes you pay the shipping both ways and if Mule Deer shoots the same size groups with this rifle as has been shot > 3 1/2 inches at 100 yards, i will send you a check for the shipping. BUT ! if Mule Deer`s groups are better you need to post the truth and you eat the shipping.

Last edited by pete53; 09/08/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by okie john
What are the best powders for the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Okie John

The same burn rate that works well in the 30-06. So for light bullets, medium-fast, like Varget, and for heavy bullets, something around 4350 to 4831.

Thanks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll tell you what, you come up, shoot it and if you can get it to shoot as is into .5" I'll buy you a steak and you pay your own damn way.

Of course since I am not the owner you'll have to get permission from him.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/09/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Dre
270 and 6.5 hate is real. We need to come up with something similar to TDS but for the 2 calibers mentioned above.

On another forum I've belonged to for many years the .270 hate is unbelievable. I can't even bring a .270 up without getting the post deleted by a mod. I've never even shot any 6.5. I don't hate them, in fact I have wanted a modern rifle chambered in 6.5x55 or maybe a 6.5x57 for awhile. I do see why the hate exists. People that don't have one and have something they love more are sick of continually hearing all the praise. One thing that's kinda stupid is some people that never shoot at anything over 200-300 yards will tell you about how the 6.5s are magical at shooting at long distance. Then tell you about how they killed a deer at 150 yards. I don't believe for a minute there's anything special about either one, the .270 or the 6.5 other than they're both a couple of great deer rifles and they seem to work well on elk with good bullets. But there's many a good deer rifle, like a .30-30 or a 7-08, or hell an 06. They're all good.

Some people get all hyped about a fancy bullet but when they use it on a game animal that it's not really ideal for, they'll blame the cartridge and sell the gun. I've had bad luck on deer with a bullet that was made for bigger animals. But I knew damn well from experience that another bullet worked great for that rifle.

Or the .270 haters will tell you it's not a good cartridge because there's not enough bullets available for it. I got news for them, there's a lot of bullets available for a .270 now days. But then it's not really known as a target rifle and most people that shoot one use three different bullet weights, 130, 140 or 150 grains.

People develop hate for many cartridges for stupid reasons.

I used to be a .270 hater, but only because my brother had one and I had a 30-06. I bought a .270 in the mid 90's only because it was a good deal on a pre-64 Winchester. Turns out it is nicely accurate and over the past 20 years it has accounted for most of my antelope and half my deer. In the open country I usually hunt elk in I have thought that since people are taking elk with much smaller cartridges it will be ok for that too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't hate any cartridge (although my feelings about the WSM cartridges certainly approach loathing) but I have to be shown. My Creedmoor is a purpose built silhouette rifle and it seems to shoot pretty well. I have not fired it off sandbags and have never fired a group but, when I shoot it with my elbows rested on the bench, shots hit where the dot is. Does it shoot better than the 6.5x55 it replaces? I can't honestly say but velocities seem more consistent which can't hurt. GD

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something that I have not seen mentioned is recoil - or lack thereof. It's much easier to shoot 20-30 round through a 6.5CM than a 300 Win Mag without getting flinchy. Not to mention that it is fun and not punishing so they they tend to get shot more, which is also a good thing. Along with the inherent accuracy of the cartridge and modern specs and manufacturing of both rifles and ammo the 6.5CM is a very competent round.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Anaconda, Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.