Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm ready to order a stock for my project rifle from Richards Micro-fit stocks. This will be for a Daly LH Mauser action with a 22 in. Douglas #4 barrel chambered for the 9.3x62. The stock I have chosen is their Old Classic #102 style. Need help in deciding which to go with, a brown laminate or a Grade AA Fancy walnut. Walnut is available in Ca. Claro, American Black, English and Bastogne walnut. Which wood is best? Order time is 8 to 12 weeks so looks like I need to make some decisions. Please, need your help and knowledge on this one.

Also, who can I send this to for a checkering job?

Last edited by panhandlepr; 07/03/07.

Dick
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You want your wood whole or processed? That's an easy decision for me. laugh Get the REAL wood.

I don't really like Richards patterns so I've never done buisiness with them, I've been told they "under grade" their wood so a piece of AA should be really nice. My favorites when it comes to wood are CA. English, Turkish then Claro. I like Bastogne walnut too but so much of it is really Claro and sold as Bastogne.

You might want to try to solicit a picture from somebody that has a Richards Micro-fit Old Classic #102 style stock. I've seen one in person before and it looks nothing like the picture.

On the checkering I've used Ahlmans.com They have a pattern not pictured. It's a Ruger #1 pattern they'll do for $125. I had this pattern done on the rifle pictured below and I really like it. These are fast, but not custom. You have to pick what they have and be happy with it. wink

If you want something a little more custom and have some input on what it'll look like, Sherry Abraham might be the way to go. I've used her twice and she does very nice work. It cost a little more and takes a little longer, but if you can dream it up, she'll do it.

I've heard Bill Soverns and Jim Kobe do very good checkering jobs too, but I've never used them.

Here is a picture of Alhams $125 Ruger#1 checkering pattern on a Claro stock. I know you guy's have seen this one a lot. I'm very proud of it.

9.3X62 M98 Mauser
[Linked Image]

Here is some of Sherry Abrahams Checkering on a nice piece of Ca. English.

.300H&H M70 Winchester
[Linked Image]

Here is some fine line Checkering Sherry did for me on a pretty piece of French walnut.

.257WSM (wildcat) 700 Remington
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope this helps.
Terry

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Your rifles are beautiful. Where were your stocks profiled or did you do that yourself. I did see your 9.9x62 before and PM'ed
you about barrel length and other questions. Hope mine will come out something close to yours, love that rifle.

Dick
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 9.3X62 was my own pattern
The .300H&H is a GAG pattern. Nobody likes GAG but me grin
The .257WSM started life as a 6mmREM. When I bought the rifle it already had that stock on it but no checkering.

You might want to give the Paul & Sharon Dressel a call. They're duplicating stocks these days and have some very nice patterns and wood.

Here is one they're doing for me right now. This one is my "I stopped smoking" present I gave myself. My wife say's if I buy myself one more stop smoking goody, she's going to take up the habit cry I'm not doing anything to this one. When I get it back it'll be ready to hunt.

BRNO 21H 7X57
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another person you might want to talk to is Shane Thompson. He has some very nice M98 patterns does some fine duplicating work. PM me if you want his #

Terry

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Terry, got enough names and numbers to get me rolling.

Dick
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second Sherry, and throw in Kathy Forster...

Kathy Forster
2124 S.E. Yamhill St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 236-5874

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.