Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by MikeReilly
Walking out at night with no shoes - that'd suck almost as much as being the parents wondering if he was alive or dead. At least it ended well. Sorry about your friend passing.

No doubt...Briars and rocks made for slow travels.

Guess we need to toughen up our feet like they do in Africa by walking barefoot everywhere.

😬😎

I'm barefoot a good part of the day Beav. Can walk out on the gravel driveway to dump the trash, out to the car to get stuff, out on the dirt yard to get wood, and all of that. The driveway is much better since I put 3/8" on top of the 3/4". But it's still not a pleasant walk.

Briars and rocks at night would suck. Bigly. Glad the dude is OK.

Sorry about the old guy.

Geno's new nickname = Ringworm.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Condolences, sounds like a rough weekend.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad the fishing was good, but damn Beav, that's a drama filled weekend.

Sorry about your pal.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sorry about your friend .
Good to hear the young man is alive.

Sometimes Sky 6 stacks up alot of stuff in one big shot.

Makes ya wonder why sometimes.

Boats are money pits ...........

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What river was he floating? Was he with someone else?

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Any rattlers along that river this time of year?

No on the Western side of the mountains where he was rafting....East side, you betcha. Buzz tails are everywhere.

😎

probably poison ivy instead. damned flip flops for rafting. look cool, but unplanned walks are a bear!

I love my Keens.

Carpe' Scrotum
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad the rafter was ok.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Trivia. There are rattlesnakes in iirc a few places in western Oregon. Also, the Oregon giant earthworm reaches 3' length in the Willamette Valley.

And some think college does not pay, chit, man.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Walking out at night with no shoes - that'd suck almost as much as being the parents wondering if he was alive or dead. At least it ended well. Sorry about your friend passing.

Guess we need to toughen up our feet like they do in Africa by walking barefoot everywhere.

😬😎

I'm barefoot a good part of the day Beav. Can walk out on the gravel driveway to dump the trash, out to the car to get stuff, out on the dirt yard to get wood, and all of that. The driveway is much better since I put 3/8" on top of the 3/4". But it's still not a pleasant walk.

Sorry about the old guy.

I doubt they could live in my system. Besides, these are the only soles I know that get thicker the more I use them

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sorry for your loss Beav but that sure is good to hear about the young fellow. I hope the drama slows down to nothing now... sheesh.

Geno you've got some honest wear on the old paws there. I used to be like that always in bare feet in the summer. But 20 years of living where it was wet all. the. friggn. time kind of broke me of the habit I guess. I don't even try around here even though the weathers up for it other than the lawn or the driveway, as near as I can figure we've got about 15 types of shrubs and vines in the yard here and 16 of them have thorns! I took a hawthorn thorn through my flip flops the other day out by my boat that got my attention.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kingston

😬😎

Sorry about the old guy.

I doubt they could live in my system. Besides, these are the only soles I know that get thicker the more I use them

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
laugh laugh laugh
JK ...
But it was too much to resist
LOL!!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have my BIL, his wife and another couple down for Labor Day doing some salmon fishing. A mutual friend of ours, who’s 80 years of age has been in the hospital trying to recover from a stroke. Due to his declining health, he needs to sell his newer fishing boat, and wifey and me are considering buying it.

Last night we all got word our friend past away. It was unexpected news, since he was expected to recover and come home Tuesday.

Obviously, the boat sale will eventually go through now that he has past. Not exactly how we wanted to find ourselves owning the boat.

Then this morning, wifey heads over to check on our guests and walks in to find the BIL’s friends not at the house. BIL said they had gotten a call from the Clackamas Sheriff’s Dept at 1:30AM informing them that their 24 year old sons raft had been recovered, collapsed with damage on a river in Oregon, and no sign of him.

As of 8:30AM there was no news on locating their son. Our friends have been on the river since 3:30AM helping searches find their son.

We just now got a call from our friends that their son has been found, alive, but tore up.

He’d dumped his raft and without any shoes on had been trying to walk out from downriver, all night.

You can imagine the happiness hearing this news...But, you can’t imagine the fear and sadness of being awaken by a call that your kid is missing on a river knowing he’s probably drowned.

One bad call last night turned into another worse phone call...Shîtty weekend, but the fishing was pretty good.

😎

I am going to tell you, from my perspective, that was a pretty damn good night.

Big picture, that turned out pretty damn good compared to how it appeared.

Your older friend passing is ths shlts for sure. But an older gentleman passing after a major medical issue is not huge surprise.

The fact your buddy's son was found alive when everyone here would agree, the odds were pretty stacked that he was goner is a huge win after a night of hell.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Renegade,

my feets ain't that big. I know some mofos that really need some serious clodhoppers to cover there tootsies.

Mine might match up with a baby bigfoot.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
I'm sorry for your loss Beav but that sure is good to hear about the young fellow. I hope the drama slows down to nothing now... sheesh.

Geno you've got some honest wear on the old paws there. I used to be like that always in bare feet in the summer. But 20 years of living where it was wet all. the. friggn. time kind of broke me of the habit I guess. I don't even try around here even though the weathers up for it other than the lawn or the driveway, as near as I can figure we've got about 15 types of shrubs and vines in the yard here and 16 of them have thorns! I took a hawthorn thorn through my flip flops the other day out by my boat that got my attention.

Lived on the North Coast of Cali for 8 years Salty. Generally was barefoot or in Teva sandals for the whole year. The rain during the winter wasn't so nice for barefootin', sandals helped. Never got really cold there, I can take it right down to the freeze point most of the time, especially in sandals keeping the soles off the icy ground. Have been known to wear them up to about 1.5-2" of snow even.

Old gal going coming out of the grocery store as I was going in once, 7K feet in AZ, a bit of snow on the ground, looks down at my sandaled feet and says "where's your shoes and socks? " I looked at her and replied, in a bit of an astonished sounding voice, "where's your gloves?" She quit asking questions after that.

My feet run hot all the time. Took a hike out on the BLM land witht he wife and dogs yesterday, actually wore boots, Chippewa unlined cap toes, but with the temps in the 60's I had to wear a thin pair of dress socks. All my feet would handle.

Hawai'i would be perfect for me.

Thorns suck, here we have burr buttercup in the spring/summer and some other little spiky grass burr thing. I keep the friggen puncture vine far away as I can, I think I can ID it with 4 ture leaves. Weed burner or the 30% vinegar comes out if I see one.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry about your friend, the boat will be a great way to remember him.
And to cuss him occasionally. In a friendly way.

As I have gotten older being caught without real shoes is a thing with me.
In summer, unless I'm working ,I'm barefoot or in Croc leather strap on sandals.
Even have the leopard spot tan to prove it.

But, I don't go far from my work shoes.

Even on trips, they are in the far back of the vehicle.
If I need to walk, I have the shoes. Family smirks, but I insist on
them having decent sneakers available.

There was a thread about am emergency bag in your car.
What do you need?

My answer was cash in smaller denominations,
And a good pair of boots. Other things also, obviously

Genoa, I wear the Crocks outside all year around the house.
Gotta be cautious though.
They are dangerous in the snow. A smart man wouldn't do it after
falling a few times. An impatient, slow learner will keep trying.

Used to run outside for mail, car stuff in my bare feet in the snow.
Freaked people out. It was cold, but no big deal.

Can't anymore.
As soon as the touch the snow, it hurts. Bad.
Old age ain't for pussies.
But the older I am, the pussier I get.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/08/20.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang man I cannot even imagine the panic and terror so glad things ended up alright!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beav, condolences for your friend.
The survival of the young man is something to be joyful over. The reunion had to have been a giant weight of sorrow and uncertainty lifted.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah Dillon, I know about that cold stuff, that's why I have the sandals. Keep the soles of my feet off the cold ground. Mostly, once the snow starts and the ground freezes I give up on my Sloggers (like American made croc clogs) too, slippery bastids for sure. I then go with my SnoSealed Romeo "slippers". Until the snow is over the top of them, then it's real snow boots. Then I can't wait for spring again.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the other end of the deal Geno. I froze my feet during a misadventure when I was a kid and the circulation hasn't been right since. I'm good for a couple quick jaunts in the snow bare foot or with sandals but give it a few minutes and the right one will start throbbing, the left one not far behind. No problem with boots and socks but my feet are compromised. Like a lot of my body any more. LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark, I'll hoist one for your buddy tonight.

Rest in painless peace !

Hug everybody you love, every single day.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (29aholic, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 2ndwind, 38 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,595
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.