Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There was a thread that ran a few weeks ago but I didn't need to read it so I thought.....I WAS WRONG

quick question.....can I use small rifle primers in lieu of small pistol primers? FWIW I'm shooting .38 special loads in a .357 magnum handgun.

Last edited by vapodog; 09/08/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will work. I run them in full power 327 Fed Mag loads.

I would work up with rifle primers just to be safe.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by vapodog
There was a thread that ran a few weeks ago but I didn't need to read it so I thought.....I WAS WRONG

quick question.....can I use small rifle primers in lieu of small pistol primers? FWIW I'm shooting .38 special loads in a .357 magnum handgun.

Is the primer pocket deep enough to accommodate the rifle primer?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

All small primers are supposed to have the same dimensions.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by jwp475

All small primers are supposed to have the same dimensions.

Correct, it is the LRP that is taller

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tikkanut,

There is a bunch of horseschidt there--which is typical of many Internet essays--which are often a collection of old BS.

One is the advice about not touching primers with your fingers because the "oils" will deaden the priming compound. ALL modern primers are sealed against such stuff. In fact you cannot usually "kill" primers even by soaking them in oil for a few days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would like to see a more complete answer to the OP's question.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I doubt if anybody is going to officially endorse using either small or large rifle primers in handgun loads, but I have seen it done several times by several people with both (even though the large rifle primers have slightly different dimensions than the large pistol primers) and it has never resulted in any problem, except a few misfires in revolvers with a light hammer fall.

One guy I knew had a S&W Model 1917 revolver that had been Bubba-ized and reamed out from .45 ACP to .45 Colt. It had excessive headspace and he was using fairly hot reloads with large rifle primers. He figured that primers were primers, right? He had fired several hundred of them (many of which required a second strike to fire) before I counseled him to change his ways. Both he and the revolver survived with no apparent damage.

Personally I would use rifle primers in a handgun only with light to mid range loads, and only if my supply of pistol primers had been used up and I couldn't get more. But if it meant the difference between shooting and not shooting, I would choose "bang".

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/08/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Personally I would use rifle primers in a handgun only with light to mid range loads, and only if my supply of pistol primers had been used up and I couldn't get more. But if it meant the difference between shooting and not shooting, I would choose "bang".

yup, that's exactly what it's come to. I have five thousand small rifle primers and no small pistol primers. I didn't see this one coming so we find a way to "go bang"

IC B3

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just fired two rounds of .38 special and two rounds of .357 Magnum using small rifle primers.....they both worked nicely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only problem that I could foresee is that the rifle primers have a heavier cup to withstand higher pressures of rifle loads so a pistol might not have a heavy enough primer strike to detonate but it sounds like you don't have a problem with that. The 357 Max uses small rifle primers because of the higher pressures.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Only problem that I could foresee is that the rifle primers have a heavier cup to withstand higher pressures of rifle loads so a pistol might not have a heavy enough primer strike to detonate but it sounds like you don't have a problem with that. [b]The 357 Max uses small rifle primers [/b]because of the higher pressures.

I just checked with a Hodgon loading source and confirmed it. However their data used a small rifle magnum primer. I've been reloading 60 years and have never heard of such a thing...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only problem that I could foresee is that the rifle primers have a heavier cup to withstand higher pressures of rifle loads so a pistol might not have a heavy enough primer strike to detonate but it sounds like you don't have a problem with that. The 357 Max uses small rifle primers because of the higher pressures.

During the obama years, I became concerned about running out of small pistol primers. I had ( and still have) plenty of small rifle primers.
I did some experimenting with CCI 400 and Winchester srp; using them in 9mm and 357 magnum and 45ACP small pistol primer brass.
Guns used were 3 S&W M&P 9mm pistols, an M&P 45, an RIA 1911 9mm and a S&W 586. Probably 100 9mm rounds fired, 50 357s and 25 45s.
Had zero problems of any kind. All loads were just above minimum book loads. So if I run short on small pistol primers, I have no qualms about using small rifle primers in any of my pistols.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

This is the only problem I can see as well, particularly with "tuned" handguns that have lightened hammer springs.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tikkanut,

There is a bunch of horseschidt there--which is typical of many Internet essays--which are often a collection of old BS.

LOVE IT grin laugh !!!!!!!!

To complicate this thread even more I have many old cartons of Federal 200 Small Rifle primers............obviously any newer Federal small rifle primers are 205's and the 200's now are small pistol magnums ??????????????

Apparently Federal thinks they are all interchangeable !!!!!!!!!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Midway blew out Rem 6.5s couple years ago. Cheap. Which means I bought a bunch.

Been loading Rem 6.5s in 9mm and .38 Spl. Wife's Smith 67 and 640 ignite them fine. They have not had trigger jobs, tho.

Not much difference in chrono'd velocities at same charge as SP primers. But haven't tried every SP and SR primer. In every pistol cartridge, with every powder, eieio. Everyone knows the drill. Back off, work up cautiously.

Folks with NFA toys appreciate the thicker cups in their open bolt guns. That was the impetus for buying the 6.5s. Thought I loaded a pic somewhere showing typical primer hit from my Uzi vs the G-19. Must be another thread.

SR primer cup thicknesses vary. Have only used 6.5s and WSRs so far.

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For what it's worth.

I had partial boxes of Rem. and Winch. SR (86 primers total) and thought I'd try substituting them for SP primers Monday in my unaltered 4" .357 Mag GP-100......I did not change my normal powder charge or bullet.

I was shooting off bags at the freshly painted 25 yd. 8" steel gongs.

Of the 86 rounds 80 fired without a problem but 6 rounds would not fire the first or second time.....I did notice that 'ALL' 86 primer hits were noticeably lighter than when using SP primers.

I also did not notice any accuracy or recoil difference and if anything the SR loads shot as accurate or slightly better than my load using SP primers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 47 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.