Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am 62 and plan on semi retiring until I fully retire at 65. My main concern is what is available to purchase for health insurance until I reach 65. What do you use for health insurance plans if the company that you work for does not supply it?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have a wife still working.
or
Call insurance broker, freak out over cost.
then
Give all your chit away and get on the gravy train like half the country.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Obamacare... remember... gonna be cheap, available everywhere..... if you like your doctor, keep your doctor.... what a fiasco.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dunno, but better find out before you pull the plug. You might find out it's better to keep working lest all your semi-retired pay goes for insurance. If you're healthy, look into a HSA.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...pth/health-savings-accounts/art-20044058

Also, if you're planning on drawing your SS now, there's a limit on your earned income before you reach your full retirement age, which might be 67 or even more.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Obamacare... remember... gonna be cheap, available everywhere..... if you like your doctor, keep your doctor.... what a fiasco.

I lost my policy after this circle jerk happened. What a lying ass hole he was/is. Was in same situation, retired pre 65 and had to buy insurance. Don’t recall the cost, but it was a lot, north of $1200 a month and that was seven years ago. I think what’s available varies by state. Better shop around and see what’s available.

NRA Patron
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Funny thing about that only people on it that liked it hadn't used it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Investigate COBRA benefit from employer. Might get you one year but you have to pay premiums. Dale06 is correct about monthly cost of over $1000 otherwise.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We were paying $1300 a month, Medicare sure helps. I don't think I'm sponging off the government, I payed 1500 in taxes when I was fifteen years old.

Good luck with it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m 53, I could retire if I could afford insurance. I need buy a duplex and rent it for enough cash flow just to pay for health insurance.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Health insurance was never an issue when I retired as we have that dreaded social health care.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Cobra will be cheaper and let you continue you old insurance for a year.

After that if you are eligible for pension type retirement you might be able to buy into your companies insurance plan.

Past that you will have to go buy it yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I "semi-retired" at age 58 until full retirement at age 66. Spent 8 years of "semi retirement" working 40 hours a week as a contractor reading gas & electric meters. Money wasn't great but It kept insurance on the wife & me. Good outdoor work with lots of walking also pays off health wise. Even with earning less money it was still better than buying health insurance and it kept me in good shape and was a pretty low stress deal all around. A gig like that is good if you can swing it physically. Lots of older folks pay money to exercise. For 8 years my employer paid me to exercise and I had health insurance, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Insurance is the #1 reason to keep working until 65. It's so danged expensive at that age. We had to cough up for my wife for 3 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Come up with a feigned disability, get on soc security earlier and apply for medicare before 65

I know a guy at my church get soc security “because he falls asleep” calls it chronic fatigue syndrome.
He doesn’t fall asleep launching his bass boat all by himself and fishing 3 to 4 days a week.
He also doesnt fall asleep mowing the church and weed whacking the cemetery, that pays him $400 a month.

38-40 years old; living the dream

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by bobmn
Investigate COBRA benefit from employer. Might get you one year but you have to pay premiums. Dale06 is correct about monthly cost of over $1000 otherwise.
+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a scam going around. Some doc was said to be easy on getting you the paperwork necessary for claiming full disability. All you had to do was go in and claim you'd been having thoughts of suicide. $600/month for life. There was only one catch as some folks found out: When you went to buy your next firearm, you'd be rejected. Somebody had forwarded your name to the BATF. That boiled a lot of guys' bunnies.

Me? KYHillChick and I tried to get on Obamacare in late 2016. The first month's premium was north of $5K. Luckily this was just to tide us over until my new employer's healthcare plan kicked in. I only was on it for 2 months.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
my catastrophic health care plan is a 357

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Dunno, but better find out before you pull the plug. You might find out it's better to keep working lest all your semi-retired pay goes for insurance. If you're healthy, look into a HSA.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...pth/health-savings-accounts/art-20044058

Also, if you're planning on drawing your SS now, there's a limit on your earned income before you reach your full retirement age, which might be 67 or even more.

+10 you gotta know right where you are at before you pull the plug. Everyone here has made valid points. I retired at 65 and 2 months my full retirement age was 66 2 months so took a 1 year deduct from SS to retire early. Like every other single guy in the country that isn't rich you simply can 't go till 65 and can get your Medicare that you have paid for all your working life. You still have to pay for part B, G, D to be covered as good as you need. At the point 3 months in advance of your 65 th b-day you sign up for part A after that depending on your exit date you choose and sign up for the others. The only thing I would advise on the "G" supplement is you will have every dick insurance agent in the country trying to bend you over. All the "G" plans are the SAME but what you pay is different. You have to look at what they do to your premiums as you get to 75-80 some are cheap now and the get damn expensive later. Some cost a little more now and do not double later. Some of you guys can still hear birds sing, I can't hear [bleep]. Last thing in the world I need is to try to listen to some high pitched insurance bimbo with a foreign accent on the telephone who speaks at 500 words a minute and gusts to a 1000. Which is exactly why I paid 25 bucks more a month to buy blue cross/blue shield from my local agent where I get my vehicle and homeowners ins. So I can sit right there across the desk and talk to my agent to her face and not have to struggle to communicate my needs and get answers to my questions that I can hear and understand. Cost me right at 330 bucks a month $4000 a year for just me. Go to some retirement seminars and take someone with if you can't hear see where you are at. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You should try Medi-share- Phone is 866-963-9572. It is a
Christian health care plan and the prices are certainly right.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by oldcuss
You should try Medi-share- Phone is 866-963-9572. It is a
Christian health care plan and the prices are certainly right.

What's a "Christian health care plan"? Do you have to tithe back to them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.