Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Little place, built in 1994. 1100 square feet. Totally reconditioned with HVAC 4 years old, roof 6 years old. It's the last house on the street in the last subdivision in town. The land directly beyond it is unsuitable for building lots without a bunch of dozer leveling so the development company just blew it off and left it empty. The current resident has cleared about a quarter acre of it and keeps it mowed. Technically, of course, it's not a part of the property but the resident, who has been there since the house was built treats it like an extension of his yard. The development company who built it is a very big developer with projects all over central Kentucky, so I doubt if they even remember the area that they deemed unsuitable for building on back in 96. They've moved on to bigger and better projects a long time ago and it's doubtful if they will ever show up and want to invest any time in the unused piece of land. So basically, there's a lot of open space that's just been sitting there. Beyond the quarter acre piece that the former tenant has been mowing and storing his stuff on, it's all scrub brush sitting below an embankment that would need a lot of work and money to make suitable for building, so it's going to continue to sit vacant and whoever lives there can use it for a garden or whatever.

Anyway, It's a nice little budget property in a very low crime area. We bought it for a rental investment and also for a low maintenance little place for my wife to live in during her retirement years.

It went on the market on the 7th and had 3 full price offers on the table on the 9th. We've been looking for a while and had a lot of the red tape already finished, so the seller took our offer out of the three that were on the table.

It's a crazy market around here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Perfect spot to dig a hole and have your own fishing pond......

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
lol,...That would probably be pushing it a bit. Besides, I'm not going to be there. Basically, it's just an IRA.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bristow, not snoopy but totally unfamiliar with what rentals cost monthly in your part of the world? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had good luck with rentals back in the day. Only reason I haven't invested in them now is that I'm still rebuilding my nest-egg from getting cleaned out by wife #2.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
congrats. Sounds like a good investment

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Little place, built in 1994. 1100 square feet. Totally reconditioned with HVAC 4 years old, roof 6 years old. It's the last house on the street in the last subdivision in town. The land directly beyond it is unsuitable for building lots without a bunch of dozer leveling so the development company just blew it off and left it empty. The current resident has cleared about a quarter acre of it and keeps it mowed. Technically, of course, it's not a part of the property but the resident, who has been there since the house was built treats it like an extension of his yard. The development company who built it is a very big developer with projects all over central Kentucky, so I doubt if they even remember the area that they deemed unsuitable for building on back in 96. They've moved on to bigger and better projects a long time ago and it's doubtful if they will ever show up and want to invest any time in the unused piece of land. So basically, there's a lot of open space that's just been sitting there. Beyond the quarter acre piece that the former tenant has been mowing and storing his stuff on, it's all scrub brush sitting below an embankment that would need a lot of work and money to make suitable for building, so it's going to continue to sit vacant and whoever lives there can use it for a garden or whatever.

Anyway, It's a nice little budget property in a very low crime area. We bought it for a rental investment and also for a low maintenance little place for my wife to live in during her retirement years.

It went on the market on the 7th and had 3 full price offers on the table on the 9th. We've been looking for a while and had a lot of the red tape already finished, so the seller took our offer out of the three that were on the table.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bristow, not snoopy but totally unfamiliar with what rentals cost monthly in your part of the world? MB

A house across the street from the one we bought is very similar and rents for $1100 a month.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My girlfriend has 5 rental houses. Got a vacancy in one and is down there painting it today.

I did all the maintenance on them for 12 years and I am sick and tired of it. I wish she would sell these rentals.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My girlfriend has 5 rental houses. Got a vacancy in one and is down there painting it today.

I did all the maintenance on them for 12 years and I am sick and tired of it. I wish she would sell these rentals.

I know what you mean. *THE* big reason I wanted this house is because it's had the major maintenance done on it lately,...roof, furnace, air. I don't really know why the guy wanted to sell it. He inherited the family farm and moved there. But he had this house paid for, ready to go, and could have pulled $1100 a month rental out of it. Also, the way property is appreciating around here it's just going to be worth more as time goes on.

But whatever. I guess he's got a project in mind that he needs some cash for.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I must say, on the other hand, my girlfriend has made herself a millionaire on these rentals. It took 20 years, but you buy the house, let the tenant pay the mortgage for 20 years, times 5 houses, and you will make a million bucks or more. Lots of work, though.

My one piece of advice. Be VERY careful when screening new prospective tenants.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Congrats, Bristoe. Best of luck with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just ound 2 sets of terlot bolts and a wax seal in this rathole garage

Holler if you need it

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
lol,...I'll keep it in mind.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I must say, on the other hand, my girlfriend has made herself a millionaire on these rentals. It took 20 years, but you buy the house, let the tenant pay the mortgage for 20 years, times 5 houses, and you will make a million bucks or more. Lots of work, though.

Yeah. I've got a plan for that.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Positive cash flow?

Congrats.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

And tell the tenants that you will even replace burned out light bulbs! Doing so enables you to keep an eye on it and see how it's being taken care of by tenants more often than usual and they are none the wiser.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yeah. I've got a plan for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" .... My one piece of advice. Be VERY careful when screening new prospective tenants.

You ain't kidding. It is not unusual for renters to become the albatross around the neck of the owner of the rental, and it can be very costly and time consuming to get them out. cry

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Positive cash flow?

Congrats.

Well, sort of. It's a positive cash flow after we put 25% down. Like I said. It's just a different form of an IRA. But also, I wanted a nice little low maintenance place for my wife to retire in. So it's there for that. We also own our previous residence in Lexington and have it rented. So, she'll have some options down the line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, your wife's moving out on you when she retires?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 35WhelenNut, 11 invisible), 860 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,901
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.