Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by EdM
I miss the corner Shell station BBQ place that folded in Boerne a couple of years ago. All I needed and never ran out.

Used to stop there regularly when we had the lease in Sonora. The dry sausage was as good as the bbq. I guess the Rudy's must have hurt their business.

I remember that place. Not bad. Nothing special. Good decent food though.

Rudy’s is highly overrated. More like a tourist joint now. I don’t stop there anymore.

Cooper’s BBQ in Llano used to be pretty good. The one in Junction, not so much. Except for their nasty vinegar based BBQ they served. That schitt was nasty. Used to piss them off when I’d bring in a bottle of honey smoked BBQ sauce with me when I stopped to eat there.

The old original Berghiem BBQ joint between Bourne and New Braunfels used to be good. But that was nearly 25 years ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Reality is that there are a LOT of really good BBQ joints around. There's one in the tiny town of Wellston, OK that is fantastic. I've waited in line there for about an hour and will do so again.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good cue is an art and doesn't always work out. Even BBQ's that get good meat and get it from the same place can get ahold of a bad animal or one that is poorly put up once in awhile. Besides the good meat you've gotta have a good recipe and then get it down the same every time and that doesn't always work out because different animals may be different. Then you've got all the different styles of BBQ's from different parts of the country...maybe. Maybe a joint in Memphis does Carolina-style...etc.

BBQ used to be about taking a sorry cut of meat and making it taste good. Sometimes this was accomplished by the style of cook and sometimes the sauce. You've got a lot of BBQ snobs now.

I'd consider "classic" cue to be Memphis/St. Louis/KC style. Memphis is the least sweet with KC the most as a rule and St. Louis falling in between.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rudy's used to be good. Haven't eaten at one in over a decade though. The chains often start out good but lose their way over time.

E
EDF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I've been to Snow's a couple of times.... It truly is some of the best BBQ in the state... You do have to wait in line which really isn't a big deal, they have a keg of beer sitting out for people to help pass the time.. We rarely have to wait longer than 45 minutes... The key is to get there early... There's another place just down from Lexington that is a good stop for a little bite after you're finished with Snow's... Louie Mueller's BBQ in Taylor... Take your time and you can hit a lot of the top BBQ places in the state...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I noticed when looking it up on the map, Snow’s was right down the road from Dimebox, TX.
I remember driving through Dimebox, when going to school in College Station at TAMU. Wasn’t much in Dimebox. Looked like your typical east TX black folks shanty towns. Also, IIRC, Cut & Shoot was just down the road from there.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/13/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe Cottons here in Robstown burnt down several years ago, they didn't rebuild but his nephew opened a place in Calallan, haven't tried it though.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EDF
I've been to Snow's a couple of times.... It truly is some of the best BBQ in the state... You do have to wait in line which really isn't a big deal, they have a keg of beer sitting out for people to help pass the time.. We rarely have to wait longer than 45 minutes... The key is to get there early... There's another place just down from Lexington that is a good stop for a little bite after you're finished with Snow's... Louie Mueller's BBQ in Taylor... Take your time and you can hit a lot of the top BBQ places in the state...
45 minutes? To place your order? Not for me.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like to make my own with mesquite wood.

Last edited by hanco; 09/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snows is everything they say it is. Franklin's is an equally as good. If you think Memphis is great bbq then I wouldn't waste my time at Snows or any Texas bbq joint.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.