Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've got a handful of tiny Big lots specials that should be replaced with the kootek if I get around to finding a debit card that doesn't require SS # or bank account.
Um, that's the purpose of a debit card - to make access to your bank account easier. It's like carrying a plastic check book. If you don't have a bank account, where would the money come from?

Prepaid.

I had my identity stolen and a whole bank account wiped out. No recourse.
That's why I no longer do credit cards.
The new debits require too much personal info. I'd have to buy one for a small amount transaction. Last time it was a bad experience. Used it and was told funds not available. Wait one month and try again

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My speculation is that 100% of all alkaline batteries are made in China or some other third world s******
Guess what country has the world's lithium supply locked up.

guess what country is ramming electric cars chainsaws mowers weed whackers electric tractors etc down the peoples throats? why that would be the US

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
I bought those cheap 300 lumens flashlights and just put them everywhere, workshop, glove compartment, backpacks. I bet I have bought 20 of them and in 3 years only one has failed - and it works if I screw the cap on just right. Since they only take 1 AA battery and it lasts a long time, they are a great bargain.

Gave one to my Mom and then she bought them for everyone she knew.
That's exactly my point. A $40 light doesn't help if it's at home and you aren't. These cheap ones last a long time and at that price, you can have one anywhere you might possibly need one.

Back to the batteries...who makes Costco's Kirklands? I've used quite a few of them and have no corrosion problems at all.

harbor freight sells AAA -AA and others plus rechargable of the same. they are cheap and are excellent got them for years

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by joken2

Just recently had a real good LED flashlight get totally ruined by Duracell "Copper Top" batteries.

duracells used to be the best but what I dont understand is it takes less then a minute to check the batteries for leakage

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by leesway2
I have several lights that wont work any more from corrosin and every one had duracell batt in them. I pulled all 10 of my game cams last year due to clear cutting and 5 are toast from duracell batts. Before we go on a track at night I always have 2 get me out of the woods lights just in case, I will deff look at getting those,light is a good thing.

Energizer Lithiums are sealed better and usually are way less prone to all that aluminum corrosion on these lights.

Keeping lithium batts in a couple el cheapo flashlights might be a decent recipe for reliability, sounds contradictory but...myself I am done buying good lights. I either lose them, get smashed or the crappy battery deal.

Energizer lithiums or duracell procell. Although I lean more back towards the energizers. I have not had a procell leak.

Rayovac are garbage, I have had them leak inside the unopened package still 2 years under the expiration date.

Geeze....good info.

Thanks.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I load up on Amazon brand alkaline batteries. I haven't any problems with them....yet

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Coast makes good cheap flashlights also. I have several, anywhere from 300 Lumen up to 1200 Lumen output. The most expensive one was still only about $40, with the smaller ones being about $15.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by joken2

Just recently had a real good LED flashlight get totally ruined by Duracell "Copper Top" batteries.

duracells used to be the best but what I dont understand is it takes less then a minute to check the batteries for leakage

Never had issues with top name brand Duracell,"Copper Tops'" or Energizer before so this was an unexpected surprise. Like most everyone else batteries usually only get removed and checked for voltage when whatever they power starts to weaken or fail. This flashlight took 6 AA -- 2 rows - 3 high end to end. Was able to remove three nearest to the end cap and they showed obvious leakage but the other three were so swollen they were froze up solid inside.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Coast makes good cheap flashlights also. I have several, anywhere from 300 Lumen up to 1200 Lumen output. The most expensive one was still only about $40, with the smaller ones being about $15.
Several years ago, Costco had 2 packs of Coast headlamps for $20. I don't know what the lumens are but they'll light up trees 100 yds away. They've been really good.
The problem with Costco is that they'll offer a really good item but when it's gone, they never have it again. I've bought a number of things from them that I'd like to have more of but they're gone.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
A cheap light that works is far better than an expensive one that doesn't work when you want it to because it got pissed off at you for ignoring it and decided to get back at you by corroding the batteries (IE Maglite).

So cheapo lights are immune to leaking batteries?

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I cashed in my hoard of Autozone reward points once and told the dude that I would take that whole display of those mini- one-AA led lights by the register.

I got about 9 or dozen whatever. Handed them out to several of my hillbilly inlaws. They were quite smitten with them.

The others got distributed throughout our fleet of ghetto cruisers in the driveway. Put a lithium batt in them and let em roll around.

The inlaws, I left those cheap Sun Brand, Chinasian batteries in their’s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tractor Supply makes a small alloy flashlight in black, blue, or pink that takes 4 AAA batteries. $5.99 if I recall and it is brighter than some of the $20-30 lights of that size that I've been using in years past. I bought 10 or so of them last year. I was using one last night with fresh Duracells and it lights up my mailbox pretty well, 120 yards from my porch. I take two with me in my backpack during hunting season.

Cheap Flashlight: Tractor Supply

(Website says they are $6.99 now) 500 lumens

Last edited by JPro; 09/15/20.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JPro, I do same. Couple in pack, couple in door pocket couple in my inside pockets on my hunting jacket. In my boats... they just work and I have yet to buy those hot rod flashlights or coolers! But, that day is coming soon I’m afraid.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I found a pretty decent cheap china light in my elevated deer blind last year. One of the more medium size versions. Nice freebee

Now if I could only locate the owner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These aren't Chinese, but they ain't cheap either. I have one and they're stellar:

Texas Lumens

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How I found out about what lathe to buy for gunsmithing was off the flashlight forum.
Those guys thread flashlights like we thread barrels.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php?s=ee8e67830509352e1e6c621a61f7956f

20 years ago I got a contract to design backlight on night vision for attack helicopters.
I spent a lot of time in a light lab, which looks like a welding table, but lasers and mirrors are bolted to the table.
The human eye with rods and cones has 120 db of dynamic range. To match that I had to have a "gear shift" too, a big converer and tiny one.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.