Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
I’d like to know who, if anyone yet, has bought their parts inventory and if they plan to market any of it.

Or their machinery. Wonder what an outfit like that would run ya'? Could you get in for a $mil?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That’s a good question.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had 2 of their barrelled actions built. First was a 358 NM in 2004. The second was a 308 NM in 2008. Both stainless.

The 2008 was a lot smoother and better finished action than the 2004. Both went in McMillans. Both shot good, the 308 better than the 358.

The 358 went on GB and I got more for it than I had in it.

I had no issues with either one, but didnt buy anymore.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 09/21/20.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Business took me to their town occasionally. Since I was there, I stopped in to check out their rifles. First time, they said they have no rifles in the shop, they are all at an NRA convention.
Few years later, similar situation. I expected a showroom with a nice gun cabinet containing rifles to show prospective buyers. They had neither a showroom nor a gun cabinet and it took one of their employees 20 minutes to go back into the shop, which was small, and finally come back up front with 2 rifles. Both were heavy and felt uncomfortable to me. Seemed over priced and their whole operation left me unimpressed. I gave up on them at that point.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Port
I was in my local Sportsmans yesterday - they had about 6 MRC rifles and all of them were marked way down. Their ASR (?) with the wood stocks were marked at $800. I'm sure some of them are great rifles, but it's just too big a gamble.

Pretty sad stuff - I remember obsessing over one of these rifles a few years back. Glad I never pulled the trigger on one.

I know some here got GOOD MRCs but...

I won't gamble on it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The one they sent me, in 260 Rem, was garbage! Brand new and couldn't eject the first fired factory round. Called them up and they wouldn't no way no how pay for the rifle ride back to them to fix their brand new rifle with literally only 1 round fired by me. After a long delay with no returned phone calls or emails the rifle showed up at my front door. All it had was a very brief letter that they had to re-barrel it. I called them up and finally got a person to ask about it. When I said there's no way the rifle was ever test fired or they would have know there was an issue right away, they put me on hold and eventually I hung up as no one came back on the line. Rifle shot fine after getting it back but down the road it went with full disclosure and at a small loss to me to move it. Not surprised at all that they went out of business.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I bought one of the original LH MRC 243 group buy rifles when SAS first offered them. Had zero issues. Sold it when I was chasing something else. Just purchased one of the other LH MC 243 group buy rifles from a forum member with full disclosure that he had issues with feeding short blunt bullets. The rifle feeds, fires, ejects my pet .243 95gr NPT load with zero issues. I am a happy camper. Tempted to buy a McM Hunters Edge stock to shave a little weight. However, have decided to hunt it "as is" this year. maybe tinker after the first of the year... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
That’s a good question.

You guys know that someone else, probably Ruger's Pine Tree Castings, made the rough actions, right?

You could lose your million bucks just like a couple of other guys did.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Port Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Any left handers ?

So I "had" to go back today and figured I'd let you know what all is there. This is what they have:

3 ASR's; one in 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, and a 270 win. Each going for $799.
3 X2's; one in 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, and one 28 Nosler. Each going for $1100

No left handers.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
An MRC X2 in 28 Nosler would be a great western elk rifle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cheap cast action trying to be sold for a premium price. Why not just buy a Ruger?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, that's a bummer! First I've heard of the closure. Sounds like another "investment group" take over that wasn't giving them enough cash flow.

I guess I was lucky as I got one of the Campfire Specials in 260 Rem that is my go to rifle for deer. Very accurate with my Accubond handloads. They are a bit on the heavy side, but that makes for some easy shooting. Had been using Kimber Montanas for years and the heavier MRC seemed much easier to shoot accurately.

Liked it enough that I got another from Wittaker's in 243 that is just as accurate as my 260.

Luckily I never needed to try out their customer service.

Web site says they are seeking some funding and I hope they get to resume operation and learn from their past mistakes. In the mean time I'll keep enjoying mine.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You guys know that someone else, probably Ruger's Pine Tree Castings, made the rough actions, right?

Oh, I'm not looking to go into the rifle business, but if Numrich or someone gets bottom metal, leftover stocks, etc., I'd pick up a few parts.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shinbone

We had a couple in Sportsman's warehouse in Cheyenne, Wy for $999 and them dropped the price. We have a couple of Montana's left at below cost on clearance.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kimber Montanas being clearanced at below cost . . . ? Is Sportsmen’s dropping Kimber rifles?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Montana rifle company, not Kimber Montana

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okay, almost sounded like two different brands being discussed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Fotis

We had a couple in Sportsman's warehouse in Cheyenne, Wy for $999 and them dropped the price. We have a couple of Montana's left at below cost on clearance.

Saw those, still seemed like a bit of a risk at those prices. The sub-$1,700 Coopers on the other hand.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by Fotis

Saw those, still seemed like a bit of a risk at those prices. The sub-$1,700 Coopers on the other hand.....

Or that 300 RUM fierce?????????

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim - Thanks for the MRC summary.

When recounting the history of the 1999 action, folks should know that for a few years in the early 2000's, MRC supplied their 1999 barreled actions to CZ-USA, who then put a nicely designed walnut stock on it (I am not sure who the stockmaker was) and sold it as the "CZ USA Model 03." Unfortunately, the partnership quickly fell apart because, apparently, the two companies couldn't agree on how the rifle should be priced - CZ wanted "affordable," and MRC wanted "high end":

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?PHPSESSID=2u2qe17l4j5uqadm2utpio1980&topic=11988.0

https://www.gunsamerica.com/959676959/CZ-Model-03-300-wsm.htm

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I bought one of the CZ Model 3's when they first came out - 300 WSM with a beautiful stock. The tang cracked the first time I fired it upon which I discovered the inletting was extremely sloppy. CZ warranteed it with a new stock, but when it arrived back at the LGS, they had a Pre64 M70 300 H&H sitting on the used rack which I immediately traded the CZ for.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.