Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have a sako 85 finnlight in 6.5x55 that the factory stock went sticky this year. Predictably beretta won’t stand behind it and replace it. After being very angry for a month or two. I have now realized I can’t sell it in its current condition and after all it still is an excellent rifle in and excellent caliber. So I am getting ready to place an order with McMillan for a replacement. I have a hunter model already on my Winchester 70 which I really like but am leaning toward the classics for the finnlight with edge fill. Would be interested to hear opinions or experiences and/or pictures of your 85 in a McMillan.

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Sako A7 roughtech in 308 I would be willing to trade for your finnlight with the sticky stock!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO270WSM; 01/23/19. Reason: .

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an 85 finnlight 6.5x55 in a mcmillan hunter edge fill. Like it a lot, though personally like a more open grip. If i redid it, would go compact edge, though thats just personal preference. Heck of a setup any which way. Enjoy it

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I have a Sako A7 roughtech in 308 I would be willing to trade for your finnlight with the sticky stock!
[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful rifle and I appreciate the offer but I think I am just going to go ahead and put it in a McMillan.

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Have an 85 finnlight 6.5x55 in a mcmillan hunter edge fill. Like it a lot, though personally like a more open grip. If i redid it, would go compact edge, though thats just personal preference. Heck of a setup any which way. Enjoy it

I love the hunter stock on my model 70 7 mag. I think it does a great job of absorbing recoil and looks at home on a bigger rifle. To me the finnlight is a light nimble rifle and want to go with something a little more streamlined like the classic. If I had my choice I would put it in a Remington mountain rifle stock but I don’t know if mcmillan can do that for a sako inlet.

Did you go painter stock or mcswirley? I love my mcswirley.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I posted back in Oct./ Nov. about having a finnlight 85 with a sticky stock. Like you I also contacted Beretta and was told it probably came into contact with deet since they see the sticky stock thing with a lot of waterfowlers. BS! Bottom line for me, I decided I didn't have anything to lose so I attempted to try and remove the soft touch finish. I spent a lot of time using scotch brite pads and acetone (using rubber gloves). It worked but I had to change pads often. I went over the stock 3-4 times till I was satisfied I had everything removed. Did some research on paints and decided to use Duracoat, 2 part epoxy spray paint (matte black). I masked off all the soft rubber grips and sprayed 3-4 coats of the duracoat paint, following their directions. After reassembly I am quite satisfied with the end result but like said it was a lot of work but much less expensive then another stock. Good luck what ever direction you go!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Check around of a unused factory stock someone is willing to part with.

I.e. — Some guys got replacements from McMillan

OK I completely misread this post - ...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/23/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an 85 Swede in a McMillan, great package and one of my favorites

I think I have a couple factory take offs laying around that I’d sell, PM me if interested

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a fan of any soft touch stocks from any maker due to this problem. Gets sticky or starts to peel off, all of them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have had a McMillan on my 85 Finnlight. I liked it ok but could not live with a cheekpiece. Had it been classic Id still have it. McMillans stocks are great. But, there are other acceptable stocks on the market. The same gun now sports a stock from MG Arms.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L

Originally Posted by spence1875
Not a fan of any soft touch stocks from any maker due to this problem. Gets sticky or starts to peel off, all of them.

I agree don’t really want another factory stock seems like just throwing good money after bad waiting for it to happen again. Just suck it up and get the McMillan and not have any more issues. The thing really pissed me off was they “graciously” offered to sell me another crappy factory stock at “cost” which they quoted was almost $600.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I have a Mcedge Sako Classic on my 270 finlight sako 85, and a edge sako classic on my 250.

, and a remy varmint on my Sako A7 25-06.. I LOVE the beavertail forearm on the Remy varmint....

L
ldg397 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I have a Mcedge Sako Classic on my 270 finlight sako 85, and a edge sako classic on my 250.

, and a remy varmint on my Sako A7 25-06.. I LOVE the beavertail forearm on the Remy varmint....

I wouldn’t suppose you have a picture of the one in a sako classic. Do you feel like classic comb is too low for your cheek weld and scope compared to the hunter stock?? I know sako are difficult to get mounts that mount that scope as low as I like on my other rifles. I know it is a very small difference but wondered if you noticed it while shouldering them. My preference asthetically is the classic for this rifle but also don’t want to get something that won’t give me proper cheek weld.

Last edited by ldg397; 01/24/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldg397
Originally Posted by sandcritter

I love the hunter stock on my model 70 7 mag. I think it does a great job of absorbing recoil and looks at home on a bigger rifle. To me the finnlight is a light nimble rifle and want to go with something a little more streamlined like the classic. If I had my choice I would put it in a Remington mountain rifle stock but I don’t know if mcmillan can do that for a sako inlet.

Did you go painter stock or mcswirley? I love my mcswirley.

Green mcmillan paint, .5” red pad, hard chrome rifle. I post a pic but am away

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have an 85.300 wm mcwoody in sako classic and a 75 .270 wsm in sako classic edge fill.
Love both of them.

B
B
Anyone have a Sako 85S takeoff stock? I have a 7mm-08 Sako 85 Finnlight that shoots shocking bad groups, and I'm starting to think it might be a rare stock and recoil lug issue.

Thanks!

Jeff

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Having a similar issue with the same rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine are all 75 Finnlight

First is a a 260
2nd is a 243
Last two are same rifle in 300wsm

https://imgur.com/a/ehqtlaK

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
McMillan no longer inlets for the sako 85.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB15
McMillan no longer inlets for the sako 85.

Oh, wow, I've had 2 for Sako 85s. I didn't know that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,957
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.