Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CraigD
I was told by the VA that with my pension and SS I didn't qualify.

You may not be eligible for FREE health care. There is more to it than your income. Lots of info at: https://www.va.gov/health-care/about-va-health-benefits/

I'm in the situation that I could use the VA, but would have to pay. I'm retired Army, so qualify for VA care, but my service related disabilities were minor (<10%) and adequately managed/treated already, so I don't get any priority points. I'm also using the Retiree Tricare for Life. So - I could go to a VA clinic, but don't get any priorities for care, and would still have the same co-pays or more than what I have now. In a few more yrs I convert over to Medicare, and Tricare becomes supplemental coverage, so still no point in going to the VA.

GB4

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Stan V
Anyone impressed with VA health care since Trump came into office? I'm hearing good things.
Don't know - I applied and was turned down for the VA... Pretty chitty when a veteran can't get into the VA..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There were some improvements then kung-flu happened.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Although I don't use the VA system, I was my brother's caregiver when he developed ALS as a result of Gulf War Syndrome.. My issue was always with VA Benefits, not the VA Healthcare. They are 2 different entities. When you qualify for VA Benefits, they make you wait 6 months before they even look at your paperwork. If you are terminal and don't have long to live, too bad. You probably won't live long enough to see the benefits you qualify for. From what I can tell. the VA Healthcare files paper forms to the VA Benefits, the forms are placed in a tray on someone's desk for 6 months, then when they do look at it, they look for mistakes and send it back and everything starts all over. I believe this is the way the government saves money. Promise benefits but never deliver. If they actually cared, they would have an electronic claims system and human eyes would never need to look at any claims and benefits would be approved immediately so there would be no wait time.

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Stan V
Anyone impressed with VA health care since Trump came into office? I'm hearing good things.
Don't know - I applied and was turned down for the VA... Pretty chitty when a veteran can't get into the VA..

Yes it is. They have a priority list of those that qualify with and without copays. I thought if you served at all you were eligible, but may have to pony up a copay based on income. I don't think I have to deal with the income question, I believe I qualify since I made the Westpac cruise in 1970.

Just called. I will be means tested and there will be copays

Last edited by Stan V; 09/21/20.

All American

All the time
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All I can say is that the Puget Sound (Seattle, WA) VA is top notch. I developed a brain pain syndrome that many Seattle neurologic doctors could not figure out. One of the guys on our Tahoma honor guard suggested I try the VA.
One visit at the VA and they had me at the University of Washington head pain clinic for a few days and they got it under control.

God bless the VA!

I can't say enough about the good they do there.
If you are a vet and not using the VA, you are missing out bigly.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll sign up, see if I'm approved and check out the local VA. Can't hurt. I will keep my current insurance.

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Although I don't use the VA system, I was my brother's caregiver when he developed ALS as a result of Gulf War Syndrome.. My issue was always with VA Benefits, not the VA Healthcare. They are 2 different entities. When you qualify for VA Benefits, they make you wait 6 months before they even look at your paperwork. If you are terminal and don't have long to live, too bad. You probably won't live long enough to see the benefits you qualify for. From what I can tell. the VA Healthcare files paper forms to the VA Benefits, the forms are placed in a tray on someone's desk for 6 months, then when they do look at it, they look for mistakes and send it back and everything starts all over. I believe this is the way the government saves money. Promise benefits but never deliver. If they actually cared, they would have an electronic claims system and human eyes would never need to look at any claims and benefits would be approved immediately so there would be no wait time.

My wife's father was a Korean War veteran and served in combat on the DMZ. This was pretty much our experience with the VA benefits. Started the process early in 2019 and he died late 2019 with no benefits.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If you may ever want to use VA health care don't wait until you need it. Apply as soon as you can, get your eligibility and priorities sorted out, then hold onto your card and paperwork. I was able to get my father home health care benefits activated in 5 days because he was already registered in the VA health care system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No direct experience with the VA medical care - not a vet - but continually have been concerned/interested that the outfit functions at a top level for all vets that need it.

I have kept in touch with some who do go to the VA for care here in the SW, and spent a ton of time helping one fellow who went to them a lot - took him to Alb. for that a few times. The user comments to me have been very positive in recent times.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got my VA rating this past February, but due to COVID, just saw a doctor for the first time in July. My wife currently works as a LCSW at time VA clinic I go to. I’m lucky in that regard, and she made sure I got a great doctor. I have no complaints, others probably do, as the other doctor in the clinic has several malpractice lawsuits against her at the moment.

One thing I really like about my doctor, he listens. It took me 17 years of AD Air Force to get one doctor that would listen to me. I wasn’t one to go to the doctor unless I just had to either, and I still feel that way. If anything, my doctor at the VA is too and Ltd people walk all over him.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeL2
If you may ever want to use VA health care don't wait until you need it. Apply as soon as you can, get your eligibility and priorities sorted out, then hold onto your card and paperwork. I was able to get my father home health care benefits activated in 5 days because he was already registered in the VA health care system.

This is excellent advice. We made the mistake of waiting until we needed the benefits and my FIL died before we could get any assistance from the VA.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.