Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Vertical split rings always looked classy to me. I understand that Ruger once offered their own vertical split rings but they are regarded as unobtanium it seems (unless you are very lucky).

I love Talley's screw lock detachable steel rings and have them on several bolt rifles, but don't plan on going through the hassle of sourcing / milling a quarter rib to convert to Talley's anytime soon.

Warne offers a vertical split ring for Ruger's scalloped mount design and they have me tempted to give them a shot. Has anyone worked with these before? Some of the reviews on Midway are not great....but I take a lot of reviews on sites like Midway and Amazon with a grain of salt.

Thoughts? Experience? Better options?

Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a 4 digit w the vertical rings.
Yes they look nice.
Thats about it.
Hopefully the Warnes are better.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
EGW makes a replacement rib that takes cross bolt rings.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hookeye
EGW makes a replacement rib that takes cross bolt rings.

Is this what you are talking about:

https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-hd-ruger-no-1-picatinny-scope-mount

https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-hd-ruger-no-1-varminter-picatinny-scope-mount

If it is, I'll pass. Maybe on my varminter model...can't bring myself to do a pic rail on my 1B or 1S. That is the exact opposite of classy.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Itd be OK if the front was sloped instead of square.
While a reg quarter rib looks great, they pretty much suck for scoping.
Fought my last one.

Either mod an EGW (if possible) or have a full custom.
Its beyond ridiculous IMHO.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alaska Arms...best you can get in my opinion.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Fought my last one.

I have never struggled with the factory rings...I have always thought they were pretty dang stout actually. Just thought I would try something that would add a touch of class. Not planning on going full utilitarian with a pic rail. I save that for my bolt and gas rifles.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 5shot
Alaska Arms...best you can get in my opinion.

The products on their website look like great quality...I didn't seen any vertical split rings though. Might buy a pair anyway to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Vertical split rings always looked classy to me. I understand that Ruger once offered their own vertical split rings but they are regarded as unobtanium it seems (unless you are very lucky).

I love Talley's screw lock detachable steel rings and have them on several bolt rifles, but don't plan on going through the hassle of sourcing / milling a quarter rib to convert to Talley's anytime soon.

Warne offers a vertical split ring for Ruger's scalloped mount design and they have me tempted to give them a shot. Has anyone worked with these before? Some of the reviews on Midway are not great....but I take a lot of reviews on sites like Midway and Amazon with a grain of salt.

Thoughts? Experience? Better options?

Thanks

The Warne rings are what Ruger issued with their Boddington series of "African" rifles,, so they can't be too bad. The Ruger vertically split rings show up pretty regularly for sale on various internet sites, and the prices have actually come down compared with just a few years ago (like a lot of ther collectible Ruger things, sadly). That's why I'm hanging on to the few that I have.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 09/23/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
The Warne rings are what Ruger issued with their Boddington series of "African" rifles,, so they can't be too bad. The Ruger vertically split rings show up pretty regularly for sale on various internet sites, and the prices have actually come down compared with just a few years ago (like a lot of ther collectible Ruger things, sadly). That's why I'm hanging on to the few that I have.

Good info. Wasn't aware these were standard issue on the Boddington series. Thanks for the response GF!

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Fought my last one.

I have never struggled with the factory rings...I have always thought they were pretty dang stout actually. Just thought I would try something that would add a touch of class. Not planning on going full utilitarian with a pic rail. I save that for my bolt and gas rifles.

If Ruger just had that rear ring a half inch or so more rearward it'd be peachy.
Alas, the design was back when scopes had longer tubes.

Could not run a 2-7x or 2.5-8X Leupold on my RSI and use at top mag.
Ended up going with a reg 4X M8
And even then slid it back just enough that an offset ring was needed.

Newer scopes may have more depth to turret body and unable to use offset ring too.

BTDT

Yeah, the old vert splits looks nice, and are cut to center (horiz ruger rings have top half wrapping the tube a bit- not cut to center).

Nice looking system, but only nice looking.
Would try other brand cut ti center horizontal rings, but one has a big annoying logo on the top half LOL

Burris Posiline rings would be great, if they still made em for Rugers.
But then, still have the placement of the rings on the quarter rib issue.

Have to get all this crap sorted out if I'm gonna have a stainless .35 rem made.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I use warnes, I have a leupold 2.5x8 on 1, a stubby 1.75-6 on another, they have worked great.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Warne QDs are a pretty good addition to a No 1. A Leupold VX-3 matte 1.5-5x went on this one.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 09/25/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a set of Warne vertical split ring mounts on my Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby. They work fine but I'm not the kind of guy who removes and reinstalls scopes using the quick detach feature. I got them in case I had to switch to irons if something went south with the scope on a hunting trip. So far they haven't been removed from the rifle after initial range testing. Check with Warne to see if these are still available since I remember reading that they may have been discontinued.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't specifically interested in the quick detach version but may consider them if an offer prevents itself.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have the Warne quick detach split rings on a Ruger Hawkeye African and like them a lot. They return to zero quite well after removing and reinstalling them.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I love Talley's screw lock detachable..........but don't plan on going through the hassle of sourcing / milling a quarter rib to convert to Talley's anytime soon.

They did a custom quick detach base for my XP-100 upon request. Made it, sent it out for bluing, shipped it, got lost in the mail, built another, sent it out for bluing, had that vendor ship it to me.......for only the price of the base.

You may be surprised at what they’ll do for you. Worst they could is say no.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Watched a Ruger set on Ebay, sold for 395 last week.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I love Talley's screw lock detachable..........but don't plan on going through the hassle of sourcing / milling a quarter rib to convert to Talley's anytime soon.

They did a custom quick detach base for my XP-100 upon request. Made it, sent it out for bluing, shipped it, got lost in the mail, built another, sent it out for bluing, had that vendor ship it to me.......for only the price of the base.

You may be surprised at what they’ll do for you. Worst they could is say no.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had not thought of reaching out to them for a quote.

I have a set of Warnes on the way. Going to give them a shot on an inbound rifle. If they don't work out the way I hope, I will give Talley a call.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Listed mine in the classifieds

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.