Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
anyone seen one of these optics, a friend just put together a lower with a psa upper on it and needs an optic, he is a tad younger than me and is married with children so he is looking to keep the price down while getting something halfway decent.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one, good so far. Mine is on a 12ga.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have one. Better than Eotechs I've used.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good timing.

I had never heard of them until a week ago. I'm having a Glock 17 built with some upgrades and the builder wants to use a Holoson. He said they are comparable to a Trijicon but less money. Are they really in the same quality category as the Trijicons?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No, they're better than Trijicon.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For rifle scopes I have a pretty good handle on what is quality and what's not but the electronic sights, I dont know. I was told the Holosuns have a reputation for repeatability and being a solid choice but less expensive. They very well could be but I just want to make sure they are not a cheap knockoff that is simply less money because it is a cheaper/inferior product.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They really haven’t been out long enough to see what they’ll do but they do break, all of them break. Right now the RMR is the toughest one out there with a good track record.

That said I’ve got a Vortex Viper on my 17 MOS that refuses to die and I’ve got a couple of Sig Romeo’s (4M and a 5) that are working fine. I do not think any of them are as good as my EOTech or Aimpoint or the RMR I had on another pistol but for certain applications, they are good enough.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
yep, I am beginning to think Holosun makes the sig red dots. $300 and 5 star rating on amazon.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Holosun is an emitter company that has the best emitters in the industry. Another company (maybe the parent company) actually makes the red dots for Holosun, Primary Arms and Sig.

With a good emitter, it’s a good start, but throw it in cheap housings, add cheap lenses and use crappy mounts and hardware that will snap easily and you’ve got a low budget red dot. Chinese good enough usually isn’t. I put my Sigs in DD mounts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TWR
Holosun is an emitter company that has the best emitters in the industry. Another company (maybe the parent company) actually makes the red dots for Holosun, Primary Arms and Sig.

With a good emitter, it’s a good start, but throw it in cheap housings, add cheap lenses and use crappy mounts and hardware that will snap easily and you’ve got a low budget red dot. Chinese good enough usually isn’t. I put my Sigs in DD mounts.

Curious, have you had any hands on experience with a Holosun 510C? There's nothing cheap about the housing, mount, or glass. I realize Holosun puts out some budget items, but the 510C holographic sight and their HE530G red dots are hell for stout and their "reticles" are as good as it gets, IMHO.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just emailed the 'smith to go with the Trijicon. This is going on a G17 that potentially I could use to defend a/my life and asked myself which would I trust in that situation, all things considered.

I need a red dot for a 10/22 and a hunting shotgun and very well might end up with the Holosun for them.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by TWR

Curious, have you had any hands on experience with a Holosun 510C? There's nothing cheap about the housing, mount, or glass. I realize Holosun puts out some budget items, but the 510C holographic sight and their HE530G red dots are hell for stout and their "reticles" are as good as it gets, IMHO.

Pretty sure that’s the model I looked at at a match last month, it was mounted on a Glock and had the circle dot reticle. The owner had an RMR on his Staccato and he was showing me how much quicker the HS was to pick up. That’s the only hands on experience I have with it, might not even be the same model but it’s the same Chinese company that made the dot that I saw come bouncing off the concrete cause the screw broke. Not trashing the dot as I’ve said I may try one myself but I don’t trust the hardware. Do you know how many screws have broken on RMR’s when mounted on a reciprocating slide? Lots of them, I’m not going to trust Chinese hardware any time soon.

C&H Precision makes a plate and screws for the MOS system if you want to replace the Chinese hardware.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
good point, there is engineering that goes into fasteners, screws and bolts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
510C is their Eotech equivalent, so I'll take that as a no.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are correct, I’ve never seen one.

Got sidetracked by JRS3’s Glock 17 post above and thought it was the one I looked at. Too many models out there.

I still stand by everything I said about Holosun and Chinese hardware.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRS3
I just emailed the 'smith to go with the Trijicon.
Excellent decision.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
People with tiny brains, (zika survivors), knock Holosun because their tiny brain can't comprehend Holosun's dominance at the price point.

And people with normal brains back off on the torque and use locktite blue to àvoid snapping bolts.

Holosun makes good stuff under their own name and for Primary Arms, Sig and likely others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At this point anybody buying Chinese deserves to get a broken dot. And if you buy enough of them, and shoot them enough, you'll have plenty of chances to get what you deserve.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
considering your point Blue, I guess China has been the source of a lot of crap lately...I guess a trijicon mro is about as low as he could go price wise.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Black Friday isn’t too far off, I’d look for a PRO or MRO.

I have a Sig 4M on my 15-22, a Sig 5 on my truck gun with fixed irons, both in Daniel Defense mounts and my Vortex Viper came on my G17 MOS and didn’t cost me a thing.

My house gun has a PRO on it and another has an EOTech EXPS2-0.

Going to matches I’ve seen all sorts of optic failures and there is a pattern...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.