Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
I believe it was John Fremont who once exclaimed in astonishment and pride that one could ride his horse at full gallop in the Forests of the Sierras.
[quote]Right now I’m seeing the mountains I grew up in, where I went to school, where I hung out, camped, backpacked, boated, cheated death, and generally formed the foundation of my character on fire, I’ve gotta say something.

This didn’t have to happen. Once upon a time, forests in California were logged, grazed, and competently managed. It wasn’t always perfect, but generally it worked.

link here

Interesting article there Morewood. But I'd argue with the author about the cause of these forests being "environmentalists", or even the primary cause being such. The problems of overgrown forests started long before environmental groups had much say in the matter.

The "Smokey Bear" policy of putting out all fires goes back at least to 1944 when Smokey got started. Might go back even earlier.

( https://www.fs.usda.gov/features/story-smokey-bear )

Sierra Club anti commercial logging on Fed lands wasn't until 1996

( https://forestpolicypub.com/2020/01...d-the-sierra-club-update-its-ecl-policy/ )

The Natural Resources Defense Council didn't get started until 1970

( https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=natural+resources+defense+council&ia=web )

The other thing the author mentions is things like "manzanita" and other things acting as ladder fuels, which is true, but grazing is not going to help that much. Logging neither.

I'll say it again, until there is a concerted effort and a whole lot of money dedicated to getting non merchantable wood and chaparral out of the forests, and getting the public to accept the idea and consequences of controlled burns (smoke in there neighborhoods during times they don't want it and ugly landscapes for a few years) these fires are going to continue, as they have since I was a kid.

They are nothing new, like most other stuff nowadays it's just easier to publicize and make a big deal.

And, because NOTHING MUCH has been done, they tend to get worse every few years, along with the more frequent drought conditions.

Yes, the "Environmentalists" haven't helped things, but as that rancher's story in the thread the other day pointed out, lack of funding is the biggest issue.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Paddlers, Leroys, Sickermores, Gayghosts, Ejps, djs' friends.

You might surprised Jag. Trinity County tended Conservative and if it wasn't for all the dope growers it would of been very conservative. Of course with a population of 13-14k they don't play much of a role in California politics.

Generally speaking when I was growing up there it was either loggers or hippy dropout types. There were quite a few ranchers too although they were small scale compared to the operations in Texas, Colorado etc.

I can only think of a handful of people who didn't own guns and hunt. The principal when I graduated was a Southern California liberal and he didn't own any that I know of.

More than a few of the dope growers were/are rather conservative. They like their freedom and their money, and would like to keep those things.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Paddlers, Leroys, Sickermores, Gayghosts, Ejps, djs' friends.

You might surprised Jag. Trinity County tended Conservative and if it wasn't for all the dope growers it would of been very conservative. Of course with a population of 13-14k they don't play much of a role in California politics.

Generally speaking when I was growing up there it was either loggers or hippy dropout types. There were quite a few ranchers too although they were small scale compared to the operations in Texas, Colorado etc.

I can only think of a handful of people who didn't own guns and hunt. The principal when I graduated was a Southern California liberal and he didn't own any that I know of.

More than a few of the dope growers were/are rather conservative. They like their freedom and their money, and would like to keep those things.

The 70-80's dope growers were a different breed than the growers today. When I was a kid there were a bunch of societal dropouts in that part of the country. I haven't been there since 2005 so I'm kind of out of the loop on day to day stuff.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Picture of the Ruth Lake area that shows what the timber looks like in that area.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by dodgefan; 09/27/20.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The fire has made it past Hetten Valley and my guess is that it will be in Zenia in a few hours at the rate it's moving. No word on how many structures were lost in the Hetten Valley yet.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Damn I’m thankful I don’t live in California

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Geno, You're a nice guy but I gotta say that because it's on the internet, doesn't make it the truth. The Sierra Club was actively obstructing at least as early as 1982. I know, because I lost my job from their activities to stop the Elk Cr Dam, a tributary of the Rogue. They presented legal and phony environmental studies, lied to the court to accomplish it, got the legal challenge changed to the 9th Dist Court of Appeals, which they had packed with their own justices. My brother-in-law's roadbuilding/logging small business was bankrupted by the direct meddling of the Sierra Club. The US Fish & Wildlife service did a survey of the proposed road job, OK'd it, and work started. The Sierra Club privately funded another survey, on the job on private property, and miraculously discovered a "significant spotted owl population". Filed suit in Federal Court in Portland where they had a Sierra Club judge on the bench and got an injunction to stop the job. The landowner couldn't afford to challenge the injunction. The brother-in laws were stuck with a 180,000 bill for work done.
If you want info on the Sierra Club, I don't think a site with their logo and and a donation page is the best possible source. Paul

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul,

yes, I know their work started before the date their "official policy" was initiated in 1996. I moved to the Humboldt area in the early 90's and they and other groups were already active there.

The point I was making is that the forests all across the West are in screwed up shape from policies, Govt and NGO, enacted long before the majority of "environmentalists" got in the picture, Mostly that damn Smokey Bear "all fire is bad" policy is what caused a majority of the issues we have today. I was specifically countering the points the person in the link Morewood posted.

Yes, the Sierra Club and others were involved in halting, or attempting to halt, projects long ago. But in many cases they were specific and not govt wide as their policy became in 1996. No commercial logging in USFS or BLM areas is about as silly a damn idea as no commercial fishing in the waters of the US of A, and yes, I know of groups that would like to see that stop.

I'll stand by my position that "logging" and road building are a component of getting the forests back to a more balanced state, with fire an actual help to them as opposed to being devastating. But, until we as a society can come to terms with the money it's going to cost to remove scrub oak, ceanothus, sumac, doghair thickets of conifers, greasewood, 20 year old juniper, Scotch broom, and other no-value species, and until we can agree that we're going to have to tolerate some smoke and "ugliness" from controlled burns on a regular basis, these fires are going to continue to happen. Worse during drought periods, somewhat better during wet periods. But they will happen. As they have continued to happen, over and over in the same areas, in my lifetime.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The fire west of Redding started outside the little town of Igo. There are evacuations in west Redding off Placer Rd. Damn.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Agreed...Your last paragraph should be etched in stone as national policy, well spoken.
On another topic, today if NWS forecast is correct, we are sitting on a keg of blackpowder again, East- northeast winds 22 to 26 gusting to 40, predicted relative humidity less than 10%. Jeez, when will it end? Santa Claus is trading in the red outfit for Nomex.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Springcove
The fire west of Redding started outside the little town of Igo. There are evacuations in west Redding off Placer Rd. Damn.

The last I saw on that one (Zogg Fire) it was up to 15,000 acres.

The portion of the August Complex burning over near Hetten I'm still waiting on more info. All kinds of conflicting maps and stuff. What I've heard so far is that it burnt over the North end of Hetten Valley and possibly got over onto Grizzly Mountain, but I'm not sure about that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of that area burned in the Carr fire a couple of years back. Those folks have to be tired of it for sure.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Didn’t know what it was called. Got a text and pics last night from a friend when it started. Her house burned to the ground and she lost everything in the Carr fire. Her anxiety is off the charts. The conditions are terrible. Just damn

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Inciweb was updated a few minutes ago. Map does show it across Ruth Lake and over on the ridge to the west. Appears to be in the Van Duzen drainage now.

And yeah, the W and SW areas are approaching Zenia, not far from there now. With the predicted winds today, it might get that little burg.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Geno that sucks. I hunted over there for years. Unreal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Agreed...Your last paragraph should be etched in stone as national policy, well spoken.
On another topic, today if NWS forecast is correct, we are sitting on a keg of blackpowder again, East- northeast winds 22 to 26 gusting to 40, predicted relative humidity less than 10%. Jeez, when will it end? Santa Claus is trading in the red outfit for Nomex.

There might not be a Santa Claus if this keeps up, at least not for NorCal.

Hope your place stays safe. Did you cut more firebreak with the dozer last week or two?

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My son just got done with the Badger fire in Idaho and is now headed for the August complex fire. I hope the the best for you guys down there.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ended up with roughly 24 ft wide around the house and shop, and 10 ft swath around the neighbors place when they called off the evacuation...whew. Went up to look at the fire this morning...I hate to say it after all the drama...but in a couple years it's gonna look like prime healthy timberland. Fire mostly burned understory and 90% of the big timber looks good, but I'm no forester, trees may be overstressed and die anyway, that happens.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Heard there was 3 dead in the Zogg fire. Only link I saw with a quick search was the San Francisco Chronicle and I'm not posting a link to them. The wife has a cousin that lives about -34 miles from the East edge of it.

So far I've heard of a few people I know losing buildings in the August Complex, Ruth Rodeo grounds got burned through and the dancehall for sure got burned. I had a lot of fun as a kid at the Ruth Rodeo.
A guy i worked for logging lost one of his bulldozers to the fire, operator made it out though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.