Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ok fellas it seems I can’t shake the 6.5mm rem mag bug. So, I’m also a huge tikka fan. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to build a 6.5mm Remington magnum on a tikka action? Not sure what size bolt Face I’d need prolly a 270 wsm or 7 rem mag barreled action. It’d be nice to use the factory barrel and rechamber to 6.5 mm rem mag if possible.
Thanks for any direction as I’ve never done the custom or semi custom route before,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tikka actions are all the same length, buy a mag action (to get the bolt face you need) and there are several places that make Remage type barrels for Tikka as well as shouldered barrels for them. Buy which ever suits your fancy remover and replace the factory barrel and rock on.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks pullit. So get a 7mm rem mag tikka so tonuse the same bolt face size as the 6.5mm rem mag? Wonder could I get a factory tikka 6.5 creed barrel and rechamber to 6.5mm rem mag?
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by whitearrow
Thanks pullit. So get a 7mm rem mag tikka so tonuse the same bolt face size as the 6.5mm rem mag? Wonder could I get a factory tikka 6.5 creed barrel and rechamber to 6.5mm rem mag?
Thanks,
Big Ed

You might look at the 6.5 rpm. You can rechamber a 6.5 c to 6.5 rpm. Poster elkivory did and was pleased with the results.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...y-play-with-the-6-5-rpm-yet#Post15086066

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry wolverine I won’t be swayed from the 6.5 rem mag. I just like the panache of it and a belt don’t scare me at all. So, no way to rechamber a OEM tikka 6.5 cm barrel to 6.5 rem mag?
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry wolverine I won’t be swayed from the 6.5 rem mag. I just like the panache of it and a belt don’t scare me at all. So, no way to rechamber a OEM tikka 6.5 cm barrel to 6.5 rem mag?
Thanks,
Big Ed
Guys are rechambering 6.5 Creedmoors to 6.5 PRC. Can't imagine the same wouldn't work for a 6.5 Rem Mag. IIRC shaenrifles does the PRC conversion; rechamber, open the bolt face, for about $400.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks,
Big Ed

To do that you would need to change the bolt stop, buy a LA magazine, and deal with the bolt face. Either buy a magnum BF bolt ($$) or have a smith change the bolt face (Ive not heard of anyone doing this, but maybe its possible??).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am no expert on this but there have been more than a few threads about opening a Tikka bolt face up. Opening the bolt face is only one issue (some say they are hard as a wedding night pecker) I have never tried to do this on a Tikka so I can not speak about it. The other problem and this is what everyone says is a bigger issue is the fact that extractor has to be shimmed ( or spaced back) to allow for the bigger case head.
I have opened up Remington bolts and installed Sako extractors in them but that is starting from scratch so it is no a big deal. The Tikka is already cut and the extractor (using a .473 case head) is already too deep toward the center of the bolt.
Some say it can be done, some say it can but the results are hit and miss. If I wanted a Tikka with a mag bolt face to play with, I would buy a mag bolt rifle as a donor and call it a day. ymmv.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I heard recently that LRI is developing replacement bolts and the ability to open up the bolt face (as pullit describes, its not the dimension of the face but the extractor that complicates the issue).

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
So would getting a 7mm rem mag donor be a plug and play for the 6.5 rem mag without any bolt face work?
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

W
W
Yes. Just get a magnum action, 300 win mag / 7mm rem mag and replace the barrel.

"well basically their pieces of fu#ken sh#t
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So would getting a 7mm rem mag donor be a plug and play for the 6.5 rem mag without any bolt face work?
Thanks,
Big Ed

Yes, just change the barrel and you are good to go. Depending on how much you want to have it "perfect" you can change the bolt stop out for a shorter one (less bolt travel) and if you did that you would want to change your mag to something like one for a WSM.

This is just me, but I think it would be smart to build on a true L/A mag (bolt stop and mag) as opposed to a short action mag (bolt stop and mag) that way if you ever change your mind and what to build something else (just say a 264 Win mag as an example) you are good to go.

I bought aalf's first 6mm PRC barrel from him and built the rifle on a L/A 700 for that very reason. If I had built on a S/A mag and changed my mind (especially with a 700) my options are limited. With the L/A I can build anything I want to as long as the case head is .532" in diameter.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 700 Classic LA that was rebarrelled to 6.5RM. Works well with longer seated 140s and such.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok fellas it seems I can’t shake the 6.5mm rem mag bug. So, I’m also a huge tikka fan. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to build a 6.5mm Remington magnum on a tikka action? Not sure what size bolt Face I’d need prolly a 270 wsm or 7 rem mag barreled action. It’d be nice to use the factory barrel and rechamber to 6.5 mm rem mag if possible.
Thanks for any direction as I’ve never done the custom or semi custom route before,
Big Ed

Sure would be a lot easier just to do a 6.5-06 and have similar ballistic results.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some folks just gotta chase the fool's errand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been hoping I'd get to use this again.
[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can either rebarrel a LA magnum donor OR rechamber and open bolt face on a 6.5 CM donor. The 6.5 CM magazine will work to 2.95 OAL just need to remove a ridge on the inside of the mag.

Take your pick. For a PRC I did the rechamber by Shaen Rifles and I am totally satisfied!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Big Ed, that would be going backwards. The 7 Mag is dumb butt easy to get to shoot high bc bullets very accurately.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Thanks,
Big Ed

You might look at the 6.5 rpm. You can rechamber a 6.5 c to 6.5 rpm. Poster elkivory did and was pleased with the results.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...y-play-with-the-6-5-rpm-yet#Post15086066

I am strongly considering doing this as well.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
i understand what your saying keith. but, i have said 7mm rem mag and like it but the looney in me wants something a weee bit different than what errbody else shows up at deer camp with and i've had the 6.5 rem mag itch for awhile now and haven't scratched it yet and it doens't seem to want to go away.
thanks for the rational thoughts though,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.