Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah DF but I think he needs to know they haven't been messed with to atleast eliminate worries that way. MB

Agree.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pretty sure I "might maybe could" have some 721 follower and spring, possibly mag box parts if you need them.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks Mule Deer and all of you. I took it to the range again today and shot it with different ammo. I had some American Eagle 150 grain as maybe it could be bullets, but no such luck, it still did it. But I came home and re-read this thread and started trying what I read, keeping in mind what Mule Deer told me to try the simple things first. I'm not sure what worked. The first thing I did w was bend the spring a little where it drooped down more at the front. Then I carefully put it back together. Being home and not wanting to put live ammo in it to try it, I quickly made some dummy rounds and tried them and also thinking that even if the rails were screwed up that putting multiple cartridges in the mag might make it worked. So I stoked the rifle with the 4 dummys. The first slipped right in the chamber and didn't fly up. Wow! made me feel better for sure. Then I chambered another one. Same thing. Then the third. Same thing. It worked. But now I was down to the last one. If it doesn't work, then my theory of having more than one round in the magazine was correct and I'd just always have a 4 shot rifle instead of a five which wouldn't have really been a big game changer for me but it would have bugged me a little. But then I pushed the bolt forward and the last round in the mag went smoothly into the chamber. Whatever it was I seemed to have fixed it. I bent the spring a little where the follower had less spring tension in front and maybe that's what did it. But I'm wondering if I didn't have the mag box a little out of kelter when I put it together last time.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/30/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm not really familiar with 721's, but given some of my experiences with other bolt guns, I'd start out really simple and see if maybe the follower has been put in backwards.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fila, like everything in life some sh* t remains a mystery. I will say this though 700's have 3.6+" mag on long action , I'd guess the 721's are the same. Never ever when loading the magazine forget to push the rds clear to the back of the box ok ? Remember that and do it, if you have no more problems send me a pm and I will send you a consulting bill. Cause you know, I'm a white guy. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 09/30/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm not really familiar with 721's, but given some of my experiences with other bolt guns, I'd start out really simple and see if maybe the follower has been put in backwards.

Really?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Filaman
Thanks Mule Deer and all of you. I took it to the range again today and shot it with different ammo. I had some American Eagle 150 grain as maybe it could be bullets, but no such luck, it still did it. But I came home and re-read this thread and started trying what I read, keeping in mind what Mule Deer told me to try the simple things first. I'm not sure what worked. The first thing I did w was bend the spring a little where it drooped down more at the front. Then I carefully put it back together. Being home and not wanting to put live ammo in it to try it, I quickly made some dummy rounds and tried them and also thinking that even if the rails were screwed up that putting multiple cartridges in the mag might make t worked. So I stoked the rifle with the 4 dummys. The first slipped right in the chamber and didn't fly up. Wow! made me feel better for sure. Then I chambered another one. Same thing. Then the third. Same thing. It worked. But now I was down to the last one. If it doesn't work, then my theory of having more than one round in the chamber was correct and I'd just always have a 4 shot rifle instead of a five which wouldn't have really bothered me but it would have bugged me a little. But then I pushed the bolt forward and the last round in the mag went smoothly into the chamber. Whatever it was I seemed to have fixed it. I bent the spring down in front a little and maybe that's what did it. But I'm wondering if I didn't have the mag box a little out of kelter when I put it together last time.

Apparently some people have already missed this post where the problem was solved, perhaps because it was too long to read.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Fila, like everything in life some sh* t remains a mystery. I will say this though 700's have 3.6+" mag on long action , I'd guess the 721's are the same. Never ever when loading the magazine forget to push the rds clear to the back of the box ok ? Remember that and do it, if you have no more problems send me a pm and I will send you a consulting bill. Cause you know, I'm a white guy. MB

LOL! Mag Bob so am I, I'm just married to a Filipina, hence the name Filaman as in Filipino-American-man. I was borned and raised in Texas and am of scotch Irish-German ancestry.

I was actually Born in Atlanta, Texas (Yeah there is such a place) Not to be confused with those impostors from Georgia.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Pretty sure I "might maybe could" have some 721 follower and spring, possibly mag box parts if you need them.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I think I have it fixed. I'll see how it works.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I think I have it fixed. I'll see how it work.

You bet. I have a similar marriage 'affliction', mine is Visayan. More stubborn per pound than anything previously encountered! And I say that with heart-felt sincerity. laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah DF but I think he needs to know they haven't been messed with to atleast eliminate worries that way. MB

Agree.

DF

Yeah, and if it hadn't started working today I would have pulled what hair I have left out. But as I said in my long post, I'm really thinking I muffed the whole thing up the last time I had it apart when I adjusted the trigger and put it back together. That mag box is hard to get in just right.

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I think I have it fixed. I'll see how it work.

You bet. I have a similar marriage 'affliction', mine is Visayan. More stubborn per pound than anything previously encountered! And I say that with heart-felt sincerity. laugh

I'm on my second Filipina. I was married to the first Filipina 13 years and she decided she wanted some one younger. She was from Negros Occidental in the Visayas. My present wife who I've known for 10 years but only been married to for 2 is from Makati City. However her father's family was from Bohol, which is also in the Visayas. So yes, I'm well acquainted with the temperment of Visayan women, since both of the Filipinas I've been married to have been thus afflicted, LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 10/01/20.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nothing like a good challenge. LOL Cheers.

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'm on my second Filipina. I was married to the first Filipina 13 years and she decided she wanted some one younger. She was from Negros Occidental in the Visayas. My present wife who I've known for 10 years but only been married to for 2 is from Makati City. However her father's family was from Bohol, which is also in the Visayas. So yes, I'm well acquainted with the temperment of Visayan women, since both of the Filipinas I've been married to have been thus afflicted, LOL!

Sounds like you have your hands full... laugh

That old 721 may be the least of your worries... shocked

cool

DF

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well just crap! I thought I had this thing cured. But Curiosity got the best of me so I went out back and put a factory round in the rifle and it did the same thing. I haven't figured out why it does it with live ammo but not the dummy rounds. Anyway, then I tried it with 2 rounds in the mag and it didn't do it. So I guess I'm back to that. I can live with it but I'm not done experimenting. I'm going to play with the follower spring.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned over 100 of 600's, 660's, 700''s, 721's, 722's, 7's, 660's, and 725's over the years and tested 100's more (at work) - never had the problem of feeding as you described (the extraction problem is almost never an issue also though it probably has happened - it did not happen with the ones I've owned and/or tested).

Assuming the follower and spring are installed correctly, I'd look first at the spring, then the follower. Those are the items someone may have replaced or installed improperly, I suppose if a shooter filled the magazine with ammo and left the ammo in the magazine for decades, the spring could have re-set. It is also possible that someone bent the stamped metal magazine box, but first the spring then the follower then the box.

Follow what MD wrote.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

cool

DF

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

cool

DF

LOL
[quote=MtnBoomer]Pretty sure I "might maybe could" have some 721 follower and spring, possibly mag box parts if you need them.

cool

DF
[/quote

LOL!
If that 721 was as solid as this woman I could sell everything else in the gun safe. She doesn't have the same DNA as the other one, LOL! I knew the other one a couple of weeks before I ask her to marry me. I knew this one 8 years before I did that. But having said all that she's still filipina and they have an "Interesting" temperment,LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 10/03/20.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gives new meaning to the word, "vetting"...

Sounds like the second one was well vetted, the first one, maybe not so much...

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I applaud your patience with that 721, after a couple attempts AND if it didn't shoot very, very well for me, it would traded/sold off! ha I can't tolerate an unreliably feeding rifle, of any type. I have never been bum-rushed by deer, etc, but big hogs ( sow or boar!) have big teeth! ha Texas has also reached the point ( IMHO) where the Meth cooking Rednecks have rivaled the meanest hog, and in as many numbers! ha I married an English/German mix..."stubborn" doesn't come close to a description! But man! Is she pretty! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.