Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brian
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880509134

Was looking at this rifle for a one and done battery. Checks a lot of boxes for me but in Wisconsin some longer shots present themselves.

5 days to ponder

Nice gun. If I were in the market for a .35 Remington, that would be a strong contender.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by NH K9
The combination of the two is simply a better woods rifle than the 336.
Absolute horse shyt. Like I said before, the .35 Remington cartridge never impressed me and neither did the 760. I never did see that the .35 did a damn thing the .30-30 didn't do inside 150 yards except cost more to shoot and past 150 the .30-30 is better.

No, it's not.
I have much experience that says otherwise.

And?
There's just as much experience that counters yours.
As stated earlier, it's subjective and arguing 'better' is ridiculous.
(yes, I've been doing the same, to illustrate the pointlessness)

Last edited by NH K9; 10/04/20.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The combination of the two is simply a better woods rifle than the 336.
Absolute horse shyt. Like I said before, the .35 Remington cartridge never impressed me and neither did the 760. I never did see that the .35 did a damn thing the .30-30 didn't do inside 150 yards except cost more to shoot and past 150 the .30-30 is better.

No, it's not.
I have much experience that says otherwise.

And?
There's just as much experience that counters yours.
Not from you there's not. You've read too many magazine articles. Many of those articles ballyhooing the superiority of the .35 were written by the same people who for years told us the .22 centerfires were not effective deer rifles. Obviously written with little experience and much conjecture on both subjects.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did Remington actually chamber the m7 in 35rem?? Seems.....strange.

Ain't no way in heck I'd go for that one. Buy a m7 in a 308 based case. Send it to JES and tell him to send it back when it's a 358win. If you don't like the recoil, load her a little milder. It'd be much cheaper than that one...that starting bid is.....steel!. And the 358win will do everything the 35rem does...plus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880509134

Was looking at this rifle for a one and done battery. Checks a lot of boxes for me but in Wisconsin some longer shots present themselves.

5 days to ponder

Load it up w pointy bullets.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 12 year old.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have never cared for the feel or look of the Marlin or Win lever guns.
And .30-30 is an ugly cartridge.

The 35 rem looks cool, the 760/7600 fit me and feel good.

The cartridge is mild mannered.........appreciate that more as I get older.
Under 150 yards I think a Rem pump in .35 rem checks all the boxes.

The Model 7 would be a sweetheart, if one prefers a bolt action.
They did it in the KS (Custom shop) and may have done a small run of stainless in reg synth.
Aldo the full stock laminate from the Custom shop.

Too bad Rem didn't do a stainless 7600 in .35 rem.
All weather timber deer rifle for sure.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/05/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like a 100 yard brush gun for deer.
Any experience?
Also how would you scope it?
Thanks

I’ve never used the 35 Remington on game, but I can confirm that the Model 7 is among the worst-balanced rifles I’ve ever owned. FAR too light up front, so the muzzle floats in offhand and the faster you go, the worse it gets. No rifle is light enough to make up for that.

But the idea of a 35 Remington bolt gun is interesting. I’d tell the gunsmith to make it balance at the front action screw for offhand shooting, which would probably mean a 22” barrel. I’d also scope it with a 2.5x Leupold in the lightest rings and bases I could find.

Even with pointed bullets it would probably weigh as much as a Kimber Montana and be a lot less capable overall. It would also probably cost twice as much.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
Looks like a 100 yard brush gun for deer.
Any experience?
Also how would you scope it?
Thanks

I’ve never used the 35 Remington on game, but I can confirm that the Model 7 is among the worst-balanced rifles I’ve ever owned. FAR too light up front, so the muzzle floats in offhand and the faster you go, the worse it gets. No rifle is light enough to make up for that.

But the idea of a 35 Remington bolt gun is interesting. I’d tell the gunsmith to make it balance at the front action screw for offhand shooting, which would probably mean a 22” barrel. I’d also scope it with a 2.5x Leupold in the lightest rings and bases I could find.

Even with pointed bullets it would probably weigh as much as a Kimber Montana and be a lot less capable overall. It would also probably cost twice as much.

Okie John

Not all M7's are too light up front. They chambered them in the short mag cartridges for a few years . Those had a 22" magnum contour that was just right. The balance might even be better than the 24" sporter barrel on a 700. I have one of those in 7 SAUM and it is quite handy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jeeper

Every M 7 that I handled felt like a short baseball bat. I never bought 1 because of it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s a ks so it should have a 20” barrel with a little more heft. Might still feel like a baseball bat ...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I built one for alot less money than the one listed on GB. It was sold earlier this year to fund a Model 70 Featherweight 35 Rem project. I should have it done by Christmas.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I obviously have a terrible sense of balance. I love the way my stainless 20” barrel 7/08 handles. Points well for me and the muzzle changes direction quickly+ if required. Latest firsthand evidence is a rut crazed buck from last year that chased a doe thru the shadow of my ladder stand. When I banged the rifle against the roof support both hit the afterburners. Still I managed to change direction with my swing when he changed direction at full gallop and catch up to him going away, down, and right. As the heavy crosshairs passed his shoulder at about 20 yds I hit the trigger and he tumbled. Smooth. I just don’t get the bad balance thing. It’s a Bubba thang I suppose.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hello Bubba.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by Jericho
It is an awesome woods rifle for black bear and white tail deer in the New England states.

x2. I used a Marlin 35 Rem in NY state and Maine for several years
A Marlin 336 is a better woods rifle than a Model 7. Woods rifles are often called to shoot offhand and a model 7 has piss poor balance {muzzle light} for offhand shots.

I keep hearing this and have to say it is BS. Yes when they were all wood stocked and had the thin 18 inch barrels this was true. With the current synthetic stocks they balance just fine with the 18 inch barrels and perfectly with the 20 inch barrels. I like the Marlins and I presently own 2 but both are heavier than my model 7 7-08 and certainly balance no better.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwall
jeeper

Every M 7 that I handled felt like a short baseball bat. I never bought 1 because of it.

Jerry

Funny post baseball bats handle preety good!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did U miss ... short bat ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
It is an awesome woods rifle for black bear and white tail deer in the New England states.

A Marlin 336 is a better woods rifle than a Model 7. Woods rifles are often called to shoot offhand and a model 7 has piss poor balance {muzzle light} for offhand shots.

I keep hearing this and have to say it is BS. Yes when they were all wood stocked and had the thin 18 inch barrels this was true. With the current synthetic stocks they balance just fine with the 18 inch barrels and perfectly with the 20 inch barrels. I like the Marlins and I presently own 2 but both are heavier than my model 7 7-08 and certainly balance no better.
Gosh does it even matter in Texas ? I mean I keep hearing it's impossible to still hunt or track there and there aren't any woods you can walk through to do it in if you wanted to. Any rifle will work from a stand or blind with a rest.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
jeeper

Jerry

Funny post baseball bats handle preety good!
It was funny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 7mm SAUM M7 I have is not in it's factory stock and it balances just fine. Balance point is at the recoil lug.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 17 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,138
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.