J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by jwall
jeeper

Every M 7 that I handled felt like a short baseball bat. I never bought 1 because of it.

Jerry

Funny post baseball bats handle preety good!

It was funny.

You 2 missed the short BUS !

Everyone doesn't have the same taste or FEEL !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
jeeper

Every M 7 that I handled felt like a short baseball bat. I never bought 1 because of it.

Jerry

Funny post baseball bats handle preety good!

It was funny.

You 2 missed the short BUS !

Everyone doesn't have the same taste or FEEL !
No I got it and I agree with you. LOL

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by Jericho
It is an awesome woods rifle for black bear and white tail deer in the New England states.

x2. I used a Marlin 35 Rem in NY state and Maine for several years
A Marlin 336 is a better woods rifle than a Model 7. Woods rifles are often called to shoot offhand and a model 7 has piss poor balance {muzzle light} for offhand shots.

I keep hearing this and have to say it is BS. Yes when they were all wood stocked and had the thin 18 inch barrels this was true. With the current synthetic stocks they balance just fine with the 18 inch barrels and perfectly with the 20 inch barrels. I like the Marlins and I presently own 2 but both are heavier than my model 7 7-08 and certainly balance no better.
Gosh does it even matter in Texas ? I mean I keep hearing it's impossible to still hunt or track there and there aren't any woods you can walk through to do it in if you wanted to. Any rifle will work from a stand or blind with a rest.

You must be a low info voter. You absolutely know nothing of Texas or Model Seven rifles.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by Jericho
It is an awesome woods rifle for black bear and white tail deer in the New England states.

x2. I used a Marlin 35 Rem in NY state and Maine for several years
A Marlin 336 is a better woods rifle than a Model 7. Woods rifles are often called to shoot offhand and a model 7 has piss poor balance {muzzle light} for offhand shots.

I keep hearing this and have to say it is BS. Yes when they were all wood stocked and had the thin 18 inch barrels this was true. With the current synthetic stocks they balance just fine with the 18 inch barrels and perfectly with the 20 inch barrels. I like the Marlins and I presently own 2 but both are heavier than my model 7 7-08 and certainly balance no better.
Gosh does it even matter in Texas ? I mean I keep hearing it's impossible to still hunt or track there and there aren't any woods you can walk through to do it in if you wanted to. Any rifle will work from a stand or blind with a rest.

You must be a low info voter. You absolutely know nothing of Texas or Model Seven rifles.
Well I hear a lot of bullshyt excuses from Texans on why they have to sit in box blinds overlooking feeders rather than actually hunt all the fuggin time. "Too thick" , "too many thorns", blah, blah, blah. LMAO.

PS. Model 7's suck and only a low information rifleman/hunter would use one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So which one of you gun heads just one the Remington Model Seven in 35 REM on GUNBROKER just now?

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
2300 bucks is a lot of coin for a rifle with not much custom.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If ya want it and have the money....so be it.
Maybe somebody needed it as a specific gift, or was replacing one that was lost in a fire or sumpthin.

B
Brian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Crazy it went way high!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
To each, his own I guess...
My bud in Richfield said Cabelas has one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100878248

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cattledog
2300 bucks is a lot of coin for a rifle with not much custom.

Originally Posted by Cattledog
To each, his own I guess...
My bud in Richfield said Cabelas has one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100878248

Oh, [bleep]. blush

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That is a rare little rifle but me personally would probably just have our local smithy build one and. I it wouldn't be the factory gun but would be exactly what I would want for way less money. But again to each his own. Congrats to the owner on a very nice and rare little rifle

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Brian
Looks like a 100 yard brush gun for deer.
Any experience?
Also how would you scope it?
Thanks

I’ve never used the 35 Remington on game, but I can confirm that the Model 7 is among the worst-balanced rifles I’ve ever owned. FAR too light up front, so the muzzle floats in offhand and the faster you go, the worse it gets. No rifle is light enough to make up for that.

But the idea of a 35 Remington bolt gun is interesting. I’d tell the gunsmith to make it balance at the front action screw for offhand shooting, which would probably mean a 22” barrel. I’d also scope it with a 2.5x Leupold in the lightest rings and bases I could find.

Even with pointed bullets it would probably weigh as much as a Kimber Montana and be a lot less capable overall. It would also probably cost twice as much.

Okie John

Not all M7's are too light up front. They chambered them in the short mag cartridges for a few years . Those had a 22" magnum contour that was just right. The balance might even be better than the 24" sporter barrel on a 700. I have one of those in 7 SAUM and it is quite handy.

Jeepers is on the money here my M7 ss 7 SAUM and M7 Predator both have 22" med weight barrels they balance and handle fine. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a rifle that was muzzle light.
Added epoxy w 8 shot in the forend, made it perfect.
No big deal.
Was a reg synth stock w hollows.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For all those people that commit on Remington Model 7----- Short baseball Bat unbalanced POS and wouldn't own one. Many a hunter here in the Northeast love them. 18" to 20" pipe lightweight. unbalanced for shooting bucks at 50 yds.? Walk into a guns shop and see how many are used for sale on the racks. ----- A hunting rifle is a tool that one uses to do a certain job. Some are supermodels made to admire. Tack hammers and sledge hammers serve their purpose. Model 7-- light weight mountain climbing --thick woods 50 yd buck killer----- my opinion---- Web

[Linked Image]
B
Brian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
At cabelas that 350 Remington magnum sold gun library guy said they’ve had 20 calls in last 2 days

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best way to get improved handling would be to get one of the old 1st gen Model Sevens and have it re-tubed with a 20" in a slightly heavier contour. Put the sights back on it and have it blued.

That would be one cherry rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The best way to get improved handling would be to get one of the old 1st gen Model Sevens and have it re-tubed with a 20" in a slightly heavier contour. Put the sights back on it and have it blued.

That would be one cherry rifle.

That would be sweet

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wldthg
For all those people that commit on Remington Model 7----- Short baseball Bat unbalanced POS and wouldn't own one. Many a hunter here in the Northeast love them. 18" to 20" pipe lightweight. unbalanced for shooting bucks at 50 yds.? Walk into a guns shop and see how many are used for sale on the racks. ----- A hunting rifle is a tool that one uses to do a certain job. Some are supermodels made to admire. Tack hammers and sledge hammers serve their purpose. Model 7-- light weight mountain climbing --thick woods 50 yd buck killer----- my opinion---- Web
Not much of an endorsement. I worked behind the counter of a Northeast gun shop for years and can tell you for a fact the vast majority of Northeast hunters don't know jack about rifles and can't shoot for shyt with anything. They haven't a clue whether the rifle they use is well balanced, well suited to the hunting they do or whether they might be able to do better with something else.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wow, that 350RM was priced cheap

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked behind the counter of a Northeast gun shop for years and can tell you for a fact the vast majority of Northeast hunters don't know jack about rifles and can't shoot for shyt with anything. They haven't a clue whether the rifle they use is well balanced, well suited to the hunting they do or whether they might be able to do better with something else.

Well, straight from the horses ass (mouth).

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (264mag, 204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,406
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.