Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shaman
Guys!

I'd already bought the rifle. I was convinced a long time ago that 7mm-08 would work on whitetail. I don't see what the big stink is about. I ordered the bullets on page 2. I've already drunk the KookAid.

Y'all are swinging kinda wild here.

laugh

Now, this IS the Fire, don't ya know... blush

Pretty good Kool Aid, that 7-08....

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where men are men
Sheep are scared
And only a sentence or 2 of posts are actually read

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
7mm anythings do not work well on game. Here's the Top 10 list of why the 7mm 08 is a failure.

1. It's metrical. Science has proven that metrication was a failure, ergo, the 7mm08 is a failure.
2. Bell was Scottish
3. 3rd world countries used 7mms as their military cartridge. Hayzeus! Some examples - Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, Iran, Mexico, Paraguay, Kingdom of Serbia.
4. It was a copy of the 7mm/303. A wildcat that despite being rimmed, didn't work.
5. Deer cannot be killed reliably with anything measuring less than 30 - except .264s.
6. The 6.5 Grendel is sexier.
7. 7mm Rem Mag!?! What the hell was that?
8. 30-30
9. 6.5 CM
10. It uses more powder than a 6.5 Creedmoor.
11. Silhouette shooting?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Shamanic Deer Rifle thread.

7-08 oughta work for ya, if ya dont break it.
Let us know how it works opening day of Ky corn pile season.

Put your vest with front and back plates on .
It,s gonna be like Ohama Beach their from how you described it before.
Be prepared to assume the fetal position of terror on the ground from all the incoming rounds....

S
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by renegade50
Shamanic Deer Rifle thread.

7-08 oughta work for ya, if ya dont break it.
Let us know how it works opening day of Ky corn pile season.

Put your vest with front and back plates on .
It,s gonna be like Ohama Beach their from how you described it before.
Be prepared to assume the fetal position of terror on the ground from all the incoming rounds....

Who needs a cornpile? We lure them in with Oreo Cookies on a string.

Actually, it regularly averages 3 shot strings per minute for the first 4-5 hours of season. I don't count the individual shots, although since the old guys with their 30-30's have started dying off, the new guys are putting out far less lead. It comes in clumps. You'll have 15 minutes of relative quiet and then the whole end of the county erupts. It doesn't faze us in the least, but it's something worth hearing. I had a buddy who went in on D-Day +14. He got to hear 1 shot-string per minute following me to an Ohio Opener, and he got seriously weirded out-- more shooting than he'd heard since '44.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I run .308 mil brass through a small base .308 die then through the 708 die. Had had no problems and excellent accuracy. Not running anything at max, 120bt's and 140npt's have resulted in 2 deer and one cow elk for my son. Using big game and mag primer.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You were far more descriptive in the volume of fire in your deer camp thread.
The mind picture I got from all the incoming fire surrounding your place was kinda like this to me in the clip.
Just surviving opening morning has to be a huge challenge.

I can see why now how you wanna ease the new shamanic deer hunting tribe guy into rifle season and not let him hunt that opening weekend per that deer camp thread.

LOL!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Note to newguy: don't go near the pond opening day.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i sell a new rifle at my small shop to a father for his daughter or son i have always recommended a 7mm-08 bolt rifle and most really like this cartridge and after the sight in and the hunt they have all been very happy with a 7mm-08. its also the cartridge my son started deer hunting with in a Remington 700 S.S. / Leupold scope he made payments of his own money to a dear friend,son did shoot a real nice 8 pt Whitetail with this rifle too. >>keep them coming let`s make a 100 +

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
7mm anythings do not work well on game. Here's the Top 10 list of why the 7mm 08 is a failure.

1. It's metrical. Science has proven that metrication was a failure, ergo, the 7mm08 is a failure.
2. Bell was Scottish
3. 3rd world countries used 7mms as their military cartridge. Hayzeus! Some examples - Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, Iran, Mexico, Paraguay, Kingdom of Serbia.
4. It was a copy of the 7mm/303. A wildcat that despite being rimmed, didn't work.
5. Deer cannot be killed reliably with anything measuring less than 30 - except .264s.
6. The 6.5 Grendel is sexier.
7. 7mm Rem Mag!?! What the hell was that?
8. 30-30
9. 6.5 CM
10. It uses more powder than a 6.5 Creedmoor.
11. Silhouette shooting?

You had me at Scottish.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=shaman]Guys!

At this point, I thought you were going to say.....”guys, guys! Forget the 7mm-08...I need more cowbell.”
😀

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 10/06/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, more cowbell and Grendel.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
UPDATE:

I got home late yesterday evening with the TC Compass -- too late to work on it. I got up this AM and got to it. LGS gave me 20 rounds of Federal 140 grain ammo with Nosler BT's thrown in to the deal. I didn't realize how short the stock was on this critter. It fit well though. This was a boon. I'm to the point where some of my deer guns are getting too long for late-season use with all the extra layers on.

By the time I left for work, I had the scope mounted and bore-sighted, the sling installed, and 50 rounds of Federal brass sized and back in the tumbler to remove the lube. The only cloud is that the brass all sized up to well under the trim-to length, but I'd kind of expect that. This is going to be a 100 yard gun this Fall. We'll work on the finer points later.

Question about the Compass: I noticed a recall notice on the TC Compass-- potential for discharge if the rifle is dropped with the safety off. This appears to be a new, unfired gun, but it IS a Compass and not a Compass II. They didn't give a list of serial #'s. Anybody know anything about this? Honestly, I'd assume any of my rifles, if dropped from enough height would discharge-- safety or no safety. In fact we had a guy a while back in Indiana that managed that stunt with an Rem 870 12 GA. It blew a slug up through the treestand, entered at his crotch and exited out through the shoulder and the guy lived to tell about it. Back in my day, we called that "negligent discharge."

https://www.smith-wesson.com/safety...s-safety-recall-manufactured-prior-91616

If I may, for a moment, go back to the question of the 7mm-08's effectiveness on whitetail. I'm far from an expert, but my impression all along was that 7mm-08 was regarded as superior whitetail killer-- almost too good to be believed. There were a few things that got me there:

1) Years ago, I had some modeling software to test at work, and I fed it Hodgdons's load database and gave it the task of extrapolating the best performance for the least recoil. The one feature that I added was giving the model the latitude to play with loadings that were up to 5% off MAX. It produced several nodes. 35 WHelen was one. 7mm-08 was another.
2) Ingwe, et al going on about the 7X57. If there was e'er a magical round. . .I looked at the situation and realized 7mm-08 was close enough for whitetail work and added it to my list. I'm sure Ingwe was not pleased with my conclusion, but I'm not a leopard thong type. Different strokes, etc.
3) I was waxing eloquent on my 300-Savage-ish 308WIN loads for my Savage 99 and somebody said: "If you love 300 Savage, you'll love 7mm-08 even more!" I had to say that, at least on paper, they were right. That moved it to the short list.

I have investigated a bunch of options, including a grey-rat Savage 99 being rebarreled into a 7mm-08. This, would be as close to an ideal whitetail rifle as I could imagine. However, it would not be sane to blow $2K on a custom gun if I hadn't tried the chambering first.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Uhhh... I'm kinda late to this party, but it's kinda difficult to find a round that will NOT work on whitetail... so of course a 7mm-08 will be fine. As would about 50-60 other choices...

If you might like a Model 99 for that, you might also like a BLR 81... assuming they might have chambered some in 7mm-08.

-Chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
UPDATE:

I got home late yesterday evening with the TC Compass -- too late to work on it. I got up this AM and got to it. LGS gave me 20 rounds of Federal 140 grain ammo with Nosler BT's thrown in to the deal. I didn't realize how short the stock was on this critter. It fit well though. This was a boon. I'm to the point where some of my deer guns are getting too long for late-season use with all the extra layers on.

By the time I left for work, I had the scope mounted and bore-sighted, the sling installed, and 50 rounds of Federal brass sized and back in the tumbler to remove the lube. The only cloud is that the brass all sized up to well under the trim-to length, but I'd kind of expect that. This is going to be a 100 yard gun this Fall. We'll work on the finer points later.

Question about the Compass: I noticed a recall notice on the TC Compass-- potential for discharge if the rifle is dropped with the safety off. This appears to be a new, unfired gun, but it IS a Compass and not a Compass II. They didn't give a list of serial #'s. Anybody know anything about this? Honestly, I'd assume any of my rifles, if dropped from enough height would discharge-- safety or no safety. In fact we had a guy a while back in Indiana that managed that stunt with an Rem 870 12 GA. It blew a slug up through the treestand, entered at his crotch and exited out through the shoulder and the guy lived to tell about it. Back in my day, we called that "negligent discharge."

https://www.smith-wesson.com/safety...s-safety-recall-manufactured-prior-91616

If I may, for a moment, go back to the question of the 7mm-08's effectiveness on whitetail. I'm far from an expert, but my impression all along was that 7mm-08 was regarded as superior whitetail killer-- almost too good to be believed. There were a few things that got me there:

1) Years ago, I had some modeling software to test at work, and I fed it Hodgdons's load database and gave it the task of extrapolating the best performance for the least recoil. The one feature that I added was giving the model the latitude to play with loadings that were up to 5% off MAX. It produced several nodes. 35 WHelen was one. 7mm-08 was another.
2) Ingwe, et al going on about the 7X57. If there was e'er a magical round. . .I looked at the situation and realized 7mm-08 was close enough for whitetail work and added it to my list. I'm sure Ingwe was not pleased with my conclusion, but I'm not a leopard thong type. Different strokes, etc.
3) I was waxing eloquent on my 300-Savage-ish 308WIN loads for my Savage 99 and somebody said: "If you love 300 Savage, you'll love 7mm-08 even more!" I had to say that, at least on paper, they were right. That moved it to the short list.

I have investigated a bunch of options, including a grey-rat Savage 99 being rebarreled into a 7mm-08. This, would be as close to an ideal whitetail rifle as I could imagine. However, it would not be sane to blow $2K on a custom gun if I hadn't tried the chambering first.

LMAO

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm-08 > it is just a great cartridge accurate ,modest recoil , ammo is now easy to fine ,many different type actions and brands to find the 7mm-08 in too. > so are we getting closer to 100 + ?

Last edited by pete53; 10/07/20.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
7-08 is just a modern version of the venerated 7x57. What more could one say...?

Now, that may not be quite the same to the Rev and other purists, but ballistics are pretty close.

So, it has an illustrious heritage.

I do like mine. Bobby Hart built, 23" SS Hart, Rem Sporter contour, in a Hunter's Edge with Timney trigger, Conquest 3-9x40 with elevation turret in low Talley LW rings. Olive paint with black specks, pillar bedded, glassed and free floated. I like to get those stocks unpainted, do the fitting, glass work, etc. then send'em back to McM for paint.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I generally fill in the bolt handle slot with glass, cut the notch to better fit the bolt handle. McM cuts a fairly large slot, custom fit looks better, IMO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dirtfarmer,some day i will have to dig out of the safe and send you a picture of my 7mm-08 custom me and my old dear friend " Jonny Bell" put together back before rifle manufactures offered this fine 7 mm -08 cartridge to the public.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
Dirtfarmer,some day i will have to dig out of the safe and send you a picture of my 7mm-08 custom me and my old dear friend " Jonny Bell" put together back before rifle manufactures offered this fine 7 mm -08 cartridge to the public.

Would love to see it.

DF

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 37 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.