Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m sure this has been addressed before, and I am more than happy to just get a link to other threads.

If any one has opinions I’d love to hear them. I currently have a VX5 but for my next scope I’m considering the NF. I have no complaints with the VX5— very happy with the class clarity. Would be interested to know the comparison on:

1. Clarity
2. Light transmission
3. Durability

Assume we’re talking comparable magnification and objective size. I know both brands are reputable and all three categories but would love to hear comparison if anyone cares to share. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good question there. IMO the image clarity of the VX-5 is far beyond good, and the mechanicals of the Nightforce would have to be very significantly better to make up for the price difference. I have four VX-5s but do not fiddle with knobs. For set-and-forget, they seem to be about as good as they need to be but the rifles I have them on have never seen truly hard use. So far, though, I love the VX-5s.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[quote=RiverRider]Good question there. IMO the image clarity of the VX-5 is far beyond good, and the mechanicals of the Nightforce would have to be very significantly better to make up for the price difference. I have four VX-5s but do not fiddle with knobs. For set-and-forget, they seem to be about as good as they need to be but the rifles I have them on have never seen truly hard use. So far, though, I love the VX-5s.[/quote

My thoughts as well, not much i can add. I have two VX5's and have been very pleased with both.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No VX-5, but do have a couple of VX-6's. Also have a NF 3-10x42 SHV Forceplex.

I would think glass quality VX-5 is pretty close to VX-6. I think the VX-6 glass may be a bit better than the SHV, which is about like a VX-3i.

Reportedly, the NF is a tougher scope regarding tracking and twisting. I've had no problems with my VX-6's or SHV. I like them all.

NF scopes tend to be a bit heavier.

DF

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Good question there. IMO the image clarity of the VX-5 is far beyond good, and the mechanicals of the Nightforce would have to be very significantly better to make up for the price difference. I have four VX-5s but do not fiddle with knobs. For set-and-forget, they seem to be about as good as they need to be but the rifles I have them on have never seen truly hard use. So far, though, I love the VX-5s.

Your line in bold had me curious since I always thought the SHV line was pretty reasonably priced as far as Nightforce optics go. Checking MidwayUSA as a baseline, and trying to match specs as close as possible, there isn't much difference in the price of a VX-5 vs a SHV:

Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm, Illuminated duplex reticle, 16.8oz, $999
Nightforce SHV 3-10x42mm, Illuminated (MOAR / duplex), 22.1oz, $985

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm, Illuminated duplex reticle, 22.3oz, $1299
Nightforce SHV 4-14x56mm, Illuminated (MOAR / duplex), 28.5oz, $1128

As Dirtfarmer pointed out, there is a bit of a weight penalty with the SHV, but I am sure that is a result of beefier mechanics.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it has been nearly three years since I bought a VX-5...I got much better prices than those at the time.

Next time I scope a big game rifle I may spring for an SHV. The problem is that I find myself wanting to upgrade several rifles if I upgrade just one and like the scope, and my bank account is too slim for that lately. That's one reason I didn't look at the Swarovski and NF scopes a sales rep showed up with at work a couple of years ago. I allowed myself to look at each one for about a minute and put them down the instant I began thinking about which rifles they would go on. There was serious danger developing, and quickly!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the NF SHV for the past 2-3 years. Leupold glass is better but does extra clarity mean more dead critters? Ive used many Leupolds and the glass is better - but I've shot several deer right at end of legal shooting light on gray overcast NW PA December days with the SHVs. I shot an elk at first daylight in the timber 2 years ago, again no issue with the SHV. I'll trade the bit of 'inferior' glass quality and weight of the SHV for durability. The SHV ain't dainty or temperamental - 1-2-3 MOA is actually 1-2-3 MOA with the SHV. And mine have a couple of beauty marks from backcountry hunts without a bobble.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll second bwinter's discernments.

The VX-5 might have seemingly more pop, but I don't necessarily know that you can categorically call it better glass. In low light and or deep timber comparisons, it seems to me that they're equal but a little different, with the SHV having a little more resolution.

Anyway, as far as the most important attributes of a scope - maintaining zero, repeatability and returning to zero, there really is no comparison. I was a long time gold ring fan, and I hope they are on the same plane as NF as far as ruggedness someday, but it seems they are a long ways off with current production. And even if you don't intend to dial it beyond getting sighted in, I'd still be more warm and fuzzy with trusting my shots to a scope that has proven to hold up to a lot of twisting, and there's a lot of us who've twisted a ton on even the capped 3-10's without any trouble.

I do wish they'd offer the lower power SHV and NXS NF's in FFP milr configuration, which leads me to bring up the SWFA 3-9 HD. Way better glass than I expected for the money, they are rock solid for adjustment, and the reticle is great for hunting. Since picking one up some time back, I've been buying more of them over the SHV 3-10's. Still like the SHV size and capped windage, so all things being equal would still go with them, but I find the FFP Milquad to be a better reticle set up than the moar SFP of the SHV or NXS offering.

Really, could save some cash as I could easily live with a 6x for most rigs.

Last edited by Starbuck; 10/13/20.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all of the replies and feedback. Everyone has given me plenty to think about and is very helpful!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.