Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Only bad part about owning a dog. Sorry to hear about your loss.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand, as well as many here, the pain going through.

Stay strong buddy and remember the good times.

10mos and I still feel the haunting pain.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aw, nuts, so sorry Birdie. That ain’t right.

As far as spaying, I am firmly in the “don’t spay without a medical need “ camp. There a a number of medical things that spaying will prevent, and an even greater number of issues caused by spaying a dog. The most medically serious of those is weight gain. One of the more annoying ones is spay related incontinence. Which happens WAY more frequently than any vet has ever been willing to admit to me.

I recently had a vet suggest to my daughter she “really should” spay her 12 year old female, who has had 5 litters. For those not informed about such things, the odds of actually completely removing the uterus in an older dog with multiple litters is virtually nil, resulting in one or more “follow up” operations. In my opinion, to suggest such a thing “for health reasons” on a 12 year old dog with an average life span of 13 years is veterinary malpractice, and that practitioner should be pilloried in the stockade in the town square. Before losing their license and being required to stay away at least 50 feet from any domestic animal..... But I may have a somewhat stronger opinion on this than most.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sorry, mike. It’s never not hard.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the more annoying ones is spay related incontinence. Which happens WAY more frequently than any vet has ever been willing to admit to me.

That's why I would let my dogs go through a heat cycle before spaying, I heard that blast of estrogen fully developed the peeing equipment, making spotting less likely, matured their brain too.

I do agree that most suburban vets recommend spaying WAY to early, permanently altering the development of the dog.

Easier to spot in males; tiny sheath, small head, long legs, lack of muscle tone, and stunted development in that grey matter between the ears.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear of your loss .

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sorry sbout your loss. I hate to lose a dog.

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So sorry, it doesn't get any easier!!!! Leaves a big hole in ya. I'm so full of holes now at 69 that I'm surprised I don't fn leak! They say time heals, (bull chit) !!! I still miss every single one!!! So sorry for your loss. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hate to hear that Mike.. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry about your loss.

But I do have a proposed name for your next one: Ashanti!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear that BW.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a bad hand you were dealt there, BW. Tough thing about having precious things like good dogs is, you can never hang on to them. I know you've got your feet on the ground, and you'll be okay.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry to hear this Mike, but the world is full of heeler puppies....and nothing gets your mind off it like a puppy...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sorry to hear this Birdy.
Know the pain.
Many of us do on here.
It hurts alot.
Dogs are family.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Birdy,

I’m truly sorry to hear of the loss your buddy!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Went from acting OK to absolutely critical in just days...

A good dog to the end. She made the decision as easy as she could. She left you with little guilt and no guessing about what needed to be done.

You might not share your life with another heeler, but don't make pacts. The dog would be lucky to have you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, thanks everyone for all the kind words, much appreciated.

This was Cloudy last November, along with my granddaughter.....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Cloudy "sit.... stay"ing just as hard as she could, she weren't one to do things half way. I'd bring a leash where I had to, but they were just for show.

I took her travel crate out of the pickup today, she quickly learned to wait by the tailgate because she liked the attention when I picked her up to put her in it. She ain't gonna waking up the neighbors any more by barking from it all the way down the street either.

I emptied out her kiddie wading pool on the back porch, that dog was a fanatic about water, loved to splash and lie in it.

I'm gonna be finding blue raquetballs around the house and yard for months, years maybe. She taught herself to retrieve early on, got to be an expert at reading the bounce of a raquetball and catching them in the air, I always kept a supply on hand and she would leave them all over the place.

She'll be missed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bird -
I've got a blue eyed merle border collie.
She's about 9 months on and a real handful, but we sure do love her (she's trying to destroy my boot right now actually).

I'm giving her an extra fetch, and an extra pet on the head knowing one day this will come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids and dog pics Im a sucker for always.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Mike,
So sorry to hear of the loss of your heeler. We are down to one, that is 9 years old this year. Daisy loves to retrieve as well, and like you mentioned, loves to catch a ball on the first hop. She'll be ten if she makes it to August 2021. We had not bothered to have her spayed until a couple of years back, when we switched Vets after moving to a new town. So glad we took the new guy's advice and had the procedure done. May your Cloudy chase raquetballs in the happy hunting grounds till you get to throw them for her. There are just not enough heelers for this world. Be blessed, my friend.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 45 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,328
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.