Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m sure there are different knee replacement operations. Curious, what do some of these cost?
My knees are ok, asking for a friend.

NRA Patron

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Insurance paid for mine.

We pay a lot for that, so I'm sure it all works out in the end.

Funny though, I've seen accountings for a lot of the procedures I've had over the years. What the hospital/doctor charges vs what the insurance company "allows" can be WAY different. As in thousands.

I received a bill unexpectedly once, wasn't supposed to get it, for a shoulder operation. If I'd have had to pay all of it I'd still be living with a bad shoulder. And this was 13 years ago, prices have gone up substantially.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
I’m sure there are different knee replacement operations. Curious, what do some of these cost?
My knees are ok, asking for a friend.

It all depends on the age of the person and what insurance plan they are on. The individual needs to check the out of pocket that they are responsible for, making sure that they follow all the rules and stay in plan for lowest costs to them. looking at all the referrals that they have and have a copy of the referral just in case they need it for the insurance company. The paper work chain is most important to obtain the lowest out of pocket expense.

My wife and i have the same insurance company, however we have different plans and different out of pocket limits.

I think for my wife the out of pocket was under $1,500 and that included the extended rehab that she qualified for. She is a retired nurse and used to help people with the paperwork when she was working. so she was on target for her paperwork. Built a nice file and every thing went smoothly.

It cost $750 for 3 nights in the hospital, she needed an extra day before they discharged her. Rehab started the following week.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Without insurance from 60,000-$65,000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know about a knee but the eye surgeries I had done last Jan were a nightmare of tangled up bills. The hospital pointing the finger at insurance and vice versa. My wife knows medical coding and how medical billing is done, if it won't for her knowledge I'd be out another 2k over the 8k I paid.
Most of the excuses were covid covid covid. The miss coding by the hospital billing dept was obvious but getting past tamika and shamika to someone able to fix it nearly drove me to serious drink.
Good luck with your friends knee......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VA paid for mine. Best money I never spent.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks guys.
Was comparing my brothers cost to others.
His insurance company was billed $68 grand per knee. What they paid, I don’t know.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had my right knee replaced in 2019 at 48 years old. I think the total between insurance and out of pocket was in the neighborhood of $55k.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Depends on the type of surgery, but generally speaking, if you are footing the bill yourself, it's cheaper (and better) overseas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, knees are more prized than backs. Wife just had back surgery last month and it ran $72k. If one knee is going for over $50k......

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had full replacements on both knees 5 years ago. The total bill before insurance,contractual deductions and all that stuff for the first knee was $58,000 and change. Luckily I had insurance, the first knee cost me just over $3,000 out of pocket. Did the other knee in the same calander year and it was $700 and change.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$50K each and be ready for some intense physical therapy .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What the hospital/doctor charges vs what the insurance company "allows" can be WAY different. As in thousands.

I think what the Insurance companies pay on average about 10% of what the hospital bills.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Depends on the type of surgery, but generally speaking, if you are footing the bill yourself, it's cheaper (and better) overseas.

The discussion is about Knee surgery not a Lobotomy. Go play with your toys the adults are talking.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My wife has had both knees replaced in the last year w/ excellent results thanks to a great surgeon and vigorous , focused PT. Following each surgery she had home nurse visits and PT consults/therapy. Our only out of pocket expense was $120.00. Medicare and our supplemental paid >$120k in combined charges.

She can now hike like a sherpani and has almost no discomfort.

sheroy is a fool, the wealthy from all over the world come to the USA for medical care. Sheroi and his girls go to Thailand for their sex changes.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 10/16/20.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How many of our parents or grandparents never knew?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had both knees done last summer, 3 months a part, I would advise to get them no closer than 6 months a part. I got them done 1 year before I went on Medicare, the 1 year with out pain was worth the 6-K it cost me out of pocket. I know now after every thing shook out , that was a lot of money, but it's over and I can walk and work with out any pain.. I want to say if you pay your deductable for one you have to get both done, I damn sure was not paying twice. I think total cost was 125-K to 130 for both together. I don't know anything about partial replacements, I had had 4 knee jobs before replacements, bone on bone. I tell every one to do it and don't wait..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Interesting. But were our knees meant for pavement day in day out. A lot of our grandparents walking on soft soil vs. what many of us do. Wonder about a horse that pounds pavement everyday verses one that walks pasture, trails, etc.

I could Quail or Pheasant hunt for several hours & be tired, but my knees would be no worse than the rest of me. Change that to walking a gun show for 5 or 6 hours on a hard floor & be miserable, mostly my knees. So much that I gave up the shows.

Hard pavement is the major culprit IMO. Again, just an opinion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by EdM

Interesting. But were our knees meant for pavement day in day out. A lot of our grandparents walking on soft soil vs. what many of us do. Wonder about a horse that pounds pavement everyday verses one that walks pasture, trails, etc.

I could Quail or Pheasant hunt for several hours & be tired, but my knees would be no worse than the rest of me. Change that to walking a gun show for 5 or 6 hours on a hard floor & be miserable, mostly my knees. So much that I gave up the shows.

Hard pavement is the major culprit IMO. Again, just an opinion.

I'll buy that for a dollar. While in the military alot of our "humps" and PT would start out on pavement for the first couple of miles but then when we would go off-road, it seemed to feel better.

At work I used to stand on cement while tearing down transmissions, then they gave us those ergonomic mats and I no longer need my knee brace.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What's pathetic, is that ya can't just call the hospital/doctor, and get a figure.

Makes car salesmen look like angels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.