Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Whoa...nobody mentioned this stuff was 38 bucks an ounce. Might have to go back to my home brewed tungsten disulfide.

Just noticed it's $29.99 at Midway, and they have free shipping on orders > $49, if there's another thing or two you might want to throw in.

Cheers,
Rex

I store mine in the fridg. Keeping it cool is recommended.

I get a quart of denatured alcohol at ACE, don't worry about that little bottle they send.

I use a Hawkeye to make sure the barrel clean down to the steel, which is important. It's hard to tell just depending on how the patches look.

Squeaky clean barrel before DBC is very important for a satisfactory result.

I think that's where some miss the mark, then complain about it not working. Do it right, it works...

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I think that's where some miss the mark, then complain about it not working. Do it right, it works...

DF

Yeah, exactly. I'm surprised a certain somebody hasn't shown up on this thread to illustrate your point yet again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Well......OK, if you say so. I am a man of legendary frugality. I have been known to make a 180 mile round trip to save 20 bucks on a sack of groceries...like, every 2 weeks.

Legendary frugality, I have a friend like that. He calls himself a cheap ass. grin

I contemplated the use of "cheap ass"...but in the interests of honesty, I thought that in truth, none of the ass I ever bumped into was ever cheap.

Be sure and let us know how it works out for you.
I've got one or two I am thinking about trying the stuff on.

As far as frugality..................I have Irish ancestors.....................................I think their families came from Scotland though. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mathman
Well......OK, if you say so. I am a man of legendary frugality. I have been known to make a 180 mile round trip to save 20 bucks on a sack of groceries...like, every 2 weeks.

Legendary frugality, I have a friend like that. He calls himself a cheap ass. grin

I contemplated the use of "cheap ass"...but in the interests of honesty, I thought that in truth, none of the ass I ever bumped into was ever cheap.

Be sure and let us know how it works out for you.
I've got one or two I am thinking about trying the stuff on.

As far as frugality..................I have Irish ancestors.....................................I think their families came from Scotland though. grin

Plugged into that gene pool, myself.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I can be as frugal as many (but not all), but I know very well that DBC has saved me plenty of money in cleaning supplies over the years, as well as having cut way back on the time I spend cleaning--which I tend to use for handloading or shooting instead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I can be as frugal as many (but not all), but I know very well that DBC has saved me plenty of money in cleaning supplies over the years, as well as having cut way back on the time I spend cleaning--which I tend to use for handloading or shooting instead.

Cuts down on aggravation...

DF

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
You bums have shamed me...the damn secret sauce is somewhere between Potterfield's mailbox and mine...in the hands of the African Postal Delay Service. Anything to get you people off my ass. By the way, thanks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found out about DBC here on the fire. Since then, I treated almost all my rifles from 17 Hornet to the 375's. I don't recall if I treated my 416?? Did not treat 22 rimfires. I did not treat shotguns. I did treat some revolvers - the ones I shoot the most.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It also works very well on muzzleloaders, and in fact some muzzleloader factories install it in their barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It also works very well on muzzleloaders, and in fact some muzzleloader factories install it in their barrels.

John,

anything special to applying it to one? Patched lead ball enough to "cure" it in the bore?

Mine's a caplock with a 1:48 twist. Likes short projectiles better than sabot or plastic skirted ones.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
From what I understand, the primary "curing" is performed by the heat of the burning powder, not the passage of the bullet. Which is why DBC also works on shotgun chokes, preventing plastic build-up from shot-cup wads.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I treated my 50 and my 54 ML's too.

The benefits are great. The biggest pain is getting the barrel absolutely clean. In the end it is worth it, in my opinion.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is there any downside or reason one wouldn't use this on any firearm?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not that I've found. Have it in the chromed bore of my AR-15 and every one of my centerfire varmint rifles for "colony rodents," where hundreds of rounds can be shot in a day.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John.

Another winter project now.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (160user, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,906
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.